Digital Multimeter recommendation

sonosphere

Hi Guys,
Plan to take baby steps into world of DIY. Starting with learning how to measure voltage (specifically DC offset voltage at amp speaker outputs). Am I jumping the gun??... No, I am already going thru articles on electronic basics and DIY kits. It's just that DC offset issue has come up during my used amp exploration, and I am clubbing my learning and practical together...

So DIY gurus, please suggest me a good INDIAN make Digital Multimeter that can measure DC and AC voltages from 0.5 milivolt to 250 volts. (Please convey if this range is sufficient for DIY amp related projects)

Furthermore... suggest a good make of soldering iron, solder wire, flux etc.

Thanks in advance,
Sonosphere

Hi Guys,
Plan to take baby steps into world of DIY. Starting with learning how to measure voltage (specifically DC offset voltage at amp speaker outputs). Am I jumping the gun??... No, I am already going thru articles on electronic basics and DIY kits. It's just that DC offset issue has come up during my used amp exploration, and I am clubbing my learning and practical together...

So DIY gurus, please suggest me a good INDIAN make Digital Multimeter that can measure DC and AC voltages from 0.5 milivolt to 250 volts. (Please convey if this range is sufficient for DIY amp related projects)

Furthermore... suggest a good make of soldering iron, solder wire, flux etc.

Thanks in advance,
Sonosphere

Hello Sonosphere,

I am in the same boat as you with a 6 months lead over you :)

I purchased Vartech 8222 (1350/-) which is an Chinese-Indian rip off made in Delhi - of the better Mastech 8222 (1350/-) made in Taiwan. In fact a rip-off of the 8222 MT exists down to the model number because it is a proven and successful model. Actually I paid a few 100 bucks extra for the Vartech. 1250 would be a good price.

Precision Mastech Enterprises Co., LTD.

The tactile feel and quality of the Mastech and its knobs is much better than the Vartech. The MT also has a continuous peak bar chart, while the VT will show peak readout attained apart from the instantaneous measurement. The MT is more visually appealing.

One gets the top quality Japanese made soldering iron for 350/-. Good quality solder will come in an inexpensive reel. First ask for the rupees 5 solder paper pouch , look at its colour and texture, then say "dont you have anything better"? :D That way you will not pick the lowest quality.

Do not use flux as it will corrode the pcb if not cleaned properly. A good solder will have it.

HTH

-G

Last edited:
I purchased Vartech 8222 (1350/-) which is an Chinese-Indian rip off made in Delhi - of the better Mastech 8222 (1350/-) made in Taiwan. In fact a rip-off of the 8222 MT exists down to the model number because it is a proven and successful model. Actually I paid a few 100 bucks extra for the Vartech. 1250 would be a good price.

So in effect are you saying that the original costs 1350/- and the rip-off should cost 1250/- just 100/- less than the original? Is there a typo here?

So in effect are you saying that the original costs 1350/- and the rip-off should cost 1250/- just 100/- less than the original? Is there a typo here?

No, it probably means I paid too much. but the Vartech is a decent build product with an enclosed certification for accuracy not a "fake" fake. Then there are those that claim VT is an Indian subsidiary of MT. "Fake" subsidiary maybe. :eek:hyeah:

Cheers

It is better to pay little extra and get better specs to make it future proof. Here in Bangkok lots of chinese brands are available very cheap around 500 to 800 rupees digital ones.
But the best I liked was SANWA from Japan. It is a very good brand but reasonably prices and good built quality- will last many years future proof. I have two of them one in Delhi and other here in Bangkok.
The model number here in Bangkok is CD771 Digital multimeter. You can also check from Sanwa website. I think I must have bought for around Rs.1600 to 1800 about 2 years back. And it does many things including capacitance. Specs are :---
1. DC V voltage 400.0mV to 1000V
2.ACV voltage 4.000 V to 1000V
3.Resistance measurement 400.0 G(omega sign)to 40.00 MG)
4.Diode test : open circuit voltage Appx 1.5 VDC
5.Continuity check buzzer/lead display
6.battery check
7Frequency 5.000Hz to 100.0KHz
8.Capacitance 50nF to 100uF
9. DCA 400uA to 10 A
10.ACA 400uA to 10A
There is a cheaper model also which has most of the same checks described above except a few for home use. and must be around 1000 to 13:licklips:00 rupees.
This will be much better compared to chinese or Indian cheaper brands and will be more accurate and long lasting.
SKR

Hi gobble,
The Mastec DMM in the link shows DC voltage measuring range from 200mv onwards. Some DC offsets can be as low as 2mv. Can this DMM measure 2mv?

Can your Vartech measure as low as 2mv?

Regds,

Here are the lowest readings specc'ed

Feature Accuracy Resolution
ACV 200mV +-1.2%+3 100microV (dunno how one can measure milli with only a resolution of micro :rolleyes:)

DCV 200mV +-0.5%+3 1microV (why cant they just say +-3.8?!!! :rolleyes:)

ACA 2mA +-1.0%+5 1microA
DCA 2mA +-0.8%+3 1microA

Resistance 200Ohm +-0.8%+5 0.1Ohm
Capacitance 20nF +-2.5%+20 10pF
Inductance 2mH +-2.5%+20 1microH (where H is Henry's not Broiler Hens :))

Temperature -20C to 1000C +-1.0+4 1C
Frequency 2kHz +-0.5%+4 1Hz

HTH

Hi Gobble,
Thanks for detailed reply. Pls help with another Noob query :eek:
1. what is "resolution of micro" ?? and ...
2. How does one use this to know the lowest DC voltage a DMM can measure??

Regds,

Here are the lowest readings specc'ed

Feature Accuracy Resolution
ACV 200mV +-1.2%+3 100microV (dunno how one can measure milli with only a resolution of micro :rolleyes:)

DCV 200mV +-0.5%+3 1microV (why cant they just say +-3.8?!!! :rolleyes:)

ACA 2mA +-1.0%+5 1microA
DCA 2mA +-0.8%+3 1microA

Resistance 200Ohm +-0.8%+5 0.1Ohm
Capacitance 20nF +-2.5%+20 10pF
Inductance 2mH +-2.5%+20 1microH (where H is Henry's not Broiler Hens :))

Temperature -20C to 1000C +-1.0+4 1C
Frequency 2kHz +-0.5%+4 1Hz

HTH

Hi Gobble,
Thanks for detailed reply. Pls help with another Noob query :eek:
1. what is "resolution of micro" ?? and ...
2. How does one use this to know the lowest DC voltage a DMM can measure??

Regds,

micro is 10 to power -3 milli is 10 to power -6. Now measuring milli readings with a resolution of micro looks senseless to me ... thats what I meant.

200mV as it says

micro is 10 to power -3 milli is 10 to power -6. Now measuring milli readings with a resolution of micro looks senseless to me ... thats what I meant.

200mV as it says

actually it is the otherway around, micro is 10 to the power -6

Here is what I discovered - Below 1 ohms to measure accuracy may not be possible - an example application where it is needed is for testing emitter resistors of ouput transistors in power amplifiers (not necessarily audio).

This kind of device may help - Blue ESR / Low Ohms Meter -

HTH

Here is what I discovered - Below 1 ohms to measure accuracy may not be possible - an example application where it is needed is for testing emitter resistors of ouput transistors in power amplifiers (not necessarily audio).

HTH

Man ,
Gobble thats My Website :D ,Call ME 09815001033 Lolz Your local Dealer And your Friend amarbir :lol:

Hi Gobble,
Below 1 ohm is not what I am looking to measure presently, thanx for this info though.
Regds,

HTH

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back