Digital upgrade suggestions

SaurabhK

Hi all,
Recnetly uograded analog section and electronics . Need suggestion for a streamer / dac upgrade. Following criteria necessary.

1. Available in india witg support
2. Roon ready

Unit can either be a dac/ stramer combo or a network bridge and a separate dac. Objective would be tobstream off Tidal /qobuz/ files off a roon nucleus server. I already have a bluesound node and audiolab 8200 cdp.

Have been suggested following so far:

Dcs Bartok
mola mola tambiqui
Lindemaan musicbook source
Sotm stack
Ps audio direct stream dac
Ayre accoustics
Dcs network bridge
T&A

Prblem is limited availability for demo at home with my exisiting gear... so looking for suggestions on what combo.... which is better than which ? And no i dont have the wealth to buy a dcs rossini

Hi Saurabh,

When I bought my Luxman amp last year, I was only interested in amps that I can audition at home. So, the list turned out to be rather small :) I was fortunate enough to be able to try the Luxman amp at home before placing an order and that worked out very well.

A couple of months ago, I ended up buying a new dac, just based on what I read on the Internet and a 30 day return offered by the manufacturer. It was a risky proposition, but in my case worked out splendidly.

I got the EMM Labs DV2 Dac, moving up from a T+A Dac 8 DSD.

I have been looking at DACs too in your price point. But for tube-based DACs.

I) DAC I have heard:

a) Non-dealer representation in India:

Bricasti M12 or M1SE or M3.
They don't have representation in India, but their customer service is mind-blowing. It is better than even having local representation, it is that good.

I own the M12 (https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/12/22/bricasti-m12-source-controller-platinum-edition-review/.). And had a minor issue and wow! 15 mins response time, fixed in a day with detailed instructions, video and step by step everything. Better than what any local dealer would have done for me.

M3 apparently is amazing and gives the performance of their premium DACs at half the price. Also has streamer built-in.

b) Dealer representation in India:

Nagra Classic DAC.
Audio lounge probably has the best CS amongst dealers in India.
I have heard the Nagra HD DAC and it is my dream DAC, apparently the classic DAC is the same but without tube output stage.

II) DACs I have heard of from reviews that I am keeping a watch for:

DCS Bartok, well-reviewed everywhere, but given US retail pricing is 9L, don't see how you will get it for 6 figures in India.
Aqua Formula (a HFV member is looking to sell)
Aqua La Scala
Brinkmann Nyquist MkII (used only)
Esoteric N-01XD (will have to bargain hard, might get it around 10L + GST). <---- has Indian representation, contact the distributor not the dealer
Esoteric N-05 (a bit long in the tooth but well reviewed)
MSB's cheaper DACs
Chord Dave (have heard it, it was okay, but is super popular amongst everyone)

I would wait for the new Luxman DACs to come out TBH. I am waiting for them as well.

I have been looking at DACs too in your price point. But for tube-based DACs.

I) DAC I have heard:

a) Non-dealer representation in India:

Bricasti M12 or M1SE or M3.
They don't have representation in India, but their customer service is mind-blowing. It is better than even having local representation, it is that good.

I own the M12 (https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/12/22/bricasti-m12-source-controller-platinum-edition-review/.). And had a minor issue and wow! 15 mins response time, fixed in a day with detailed instructions, video and step by step everything. Better than what any local dealer would have done for me.

M3 apparently is amazing and gives the performance of their premium DACs at half the price. Also has streamer built-in.

b) Dealer representation in India:

Nagra Classic DAC.
Audio lounge probably has the best CS amongst dealers in India.
I have heard the Nagra HD DAC and it is my dream DAC, apparently the classic DAC is the same but without tube output stage.

II) DACs I have heard of from reviews that I am keeping a watch for:

DCS Bartok, well-reviewed everywhere, but given US retail pricing is 9L, don't see how you will get it for 6 figures in India.
Aqua Formula (a HFV member is looking to sell)
Aqua La Scala
Brinkmann Nyquist MkII (used only)
Esoteric N-01XD (will have to bargain hard, might get it around 10L + GST). <---- has Indian representation, contact the distributor not the dealer
Esoteric N-05 (a bit long in the tooth but well reviewed)
MSB's cheaper DACs
Chord Dave (have heard it, it was okay, but is super popular amongst everyone)

I would wait for the new Luxman DACs to come out TBH. I am waiting for them as well.

An exhaustive list. Shall certainly go through and evaluate

You could also consider the rockna wavedream.

it’s available with AV lounge in Chennai.

I haven’t heard it myself yet (just going on the basis of reviews from people who have and are trusted Ears)

as for the endpoint you could consider a raspberry pi with pi2aes or an alo digi one HAT.

Interesting thread. I have also been looking at upgrading from my Playback Designs MPD5 DAC and searching for options.

Ok. Had the chance to get a lindemaan musicbooksource streamer / dac/ pre together with its power amp on loan from the dealer.
Its a class D powr amp and the streamer dac is roon ready . Must say Lindemaan Musicbooksource and amp package highly recommended for those looking for a cracking compact solution ... very clean, resolving and articulate.. small footprint but huge sound ...

The mighty dCS bartok .....
Ok here goes listening impressions after break in ....
Sonic purity and Transparency .... like a sheet of glass
Soundstage ...... wide as u can get
Imaging ...
Low end bass control ... terrific ...

Highly recommended!!!!

I would suggest trying it with the Rossini clock.

When I had the combo for demo, the improvement the Rossini clock brought to Rossini dac was tremendous.

As per the other forums, the Rossini clock has similar positive affect on the Bartok.

I brought the Vivaldi DAC and now I am waiting for my Vivaldi clock.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back