Dilemma between 4k & FHD (40 Inch)

music4mhell

Hello Guys,

Please share your valuable experience for below scenario :
I am confused between a 40 Inch FHD & 4K TV.
Which one will give more pleasant view when,

we watch Normal SD channels on both TV.

Please dont comment how it will look for 4k/FHD/HD content.
Cause logically there are so many channels with SD quality only.

Thanks in advance.

When I bought my TV, I would insist that the demo has to be with SD channels and the picture settings were done by me.
If the lights can be dimmed to more like home levels, nothing like it. Go on a weekday afternoon if possible for least disturbance.
The showroom guys did seem to think there was something wrong with me :lol:

Compare 4K/FHD/HD models side by side and see what you like.
Do make sure you are watching at the same distance as at your home.

It would be worth the effort.

When I bought my TV, I would insist that the demo has to be with SD channels and the picture settings were done by me.
If the lights can be dimmed to more like home levels, nothing like it. Go on a weekday afternoon if possible for least disturbance.
The showroom guys did seem to think there was something wrong with me :lol:

Compare 4K/FHD/HD models side by side and see what you like.
Do make sure you are watching at the same distance as at your home.

It would be worth the effort.

Thanks, I will surely do that,
I was curious to know how others are feeling while watching SD channels on 4K TV.

No1 talks about SD contents :( which most channels provide in india.

I would advise you to buy from ebay india where the prices area a full 50% cheaper.for the price of a 40 inch you can buy a bigger 48 or 55 inch tv.I recently bought a 55 inch Samsung tv from ebay india after researching for a few months.The model no is UA55JU6400 and it an uhd tv .the price when I booked was 99500 but in 2 weeks the price has now dropped down to 89500/-.I got delivery of the tv after 10 from delhi to Chennai.the performance of the tv is impressive.great black levels and contrast.the hd channels look much better than on my previous lg 42 inch tv.Hd picture quality is probably better because of the uhd upscaling than on a normal hd tv.uhd videos from youtube look great especially if you watch from a distance of 5 ft on this 55 inch tv.The tv is brand new and comes with a one year seller warranty as opposed to a one year manufacturer warranty if you buy an equivalent indian model( ju6470) but the price is nearly 1.40 to 1.50 lakhs.imported tvs from ebay come a full 50% cheaper.this one is made in Thailand.people looking to save money on a big size tv should buy from ebay where the prices are honest.by the way the price of a sony 55W800c with android is only abt 90000 on ebay.These are genuine imported tvs sold much cheaper.For a 1 yr manufacturer warranty we are forced to pay more than 50% extra in india

No1 talks about SD contents :( which most channels provide in india.

And why should we buddy. very honestly in my opinion, SD channels were never meant for LCD or LED TVs. They are not supposed to be watched on these TVs. First of all they are not in widescreen so that rules out watching on anything but 4:3 CRT TV. Secondly, the source resolution is 480p which is exact match to the maximum resolution of a CRT TV. SD channels are supposed to look their best ever on CRT TVs only not HD TVs.

In other words, it is the mistake of service providers/indian channel owners that SD still exists when almost entire population has moved on to HD TVs. In my opinion, we should not connect SD channels and HDTVs in the same sentence just because they exist at the same time.

Watching SD channels cannot make any difference in FHD or UHD tv.
Go for the FHD one, which you can also use for HD channels in future.

And why should we buddy. very honestly in my opinion, SD channels were never meant for LCD or LED TVs. They are not supposed to be watched on these TVs. First of all they are not in widescreen so that rules out watching on anything but 4:3 CRT TV. Secondly, the source resolution is 480p which is exact match to the maximum resolution of a CRT TV. SD channels are supposed to look their best ever on CRT TVs only not HD TVs.

In other words, it is the mistake of service providers/indian channel owners that SD still exists when almost entire population has moved on to HD TVs. In my opinion, we should not connect SD channels and HDTVs in the same sentence just because they exist at the same time.

Most of the news channels in india are in SD ..

Ok let me rephrase my Q..

If i watch an HD channel on a

40 Inch 4k
40 Inch FHD .. from may be 8 feet distance for both..

How much difference i can notice ?

Interesting dilemma, but honestly it's not (and should not) be only dependent on the content itself.

Most of the content I work and watch on my PC is also SD or FHD. Only a few YouTube channels and some shows on Netflix are in 4K.

However, you also need to consider the technology itself. I have both a 4K monitor and a 4K television and both of them actually upscale all content to UHD and 4K resolution. That in itself makes the content more enjoyable, especially 720p and 1080p content that I regularly watch on my TV.

Obviously I cannot compare SD content in this scenario, but I wanted to introduce the element of technology and how it changes the content itself so you can make a better informed buying decision.

No Offence,

Initially "Please dont comment how it will look for 4k/FHD/HD content.", but looks like that's what you are looking for.

SD channels are Standard Definition = 480i. As mentioned by one of our FM, SD channels were never meant for LCD or LED TVs. But still you can see it, its up to you.

IMO, There is always a difference in watching an SD channel in HDTV and watching an HD channel in HDTV. When you are not looking for the HD channels, there is no point in buying a 4K Tv unless and untill you want to burst your purse for no reason.

How much difference we will notice while watching a 720P video on
- 720p is not related to SD. When you say 720p its part of HD family. 720p is not SD.

4k TV and FHD TV ?
Can we feel the upscale ?
- To answer this you can go to a showroom and watch it in 8 feet and check the difference. Because opinion differs :).

No Offence,

Initially "Please dont comment how it will look for 4k/FHD/HD content.", but looks like that's what you are looking for.

SD channels are Standard Definition = 480i. As mentioned by one of our FM, SD channels were never meant for LCD or LED TVs. But still you can see it, its up to you.

IMO, There is always a difference in watching an SD channel in HDTV and watching an HD channel in HDTV. When you are not looking for the HD channels, there is no point in buying a 4K Tv unless and untill you want to burst your purse for no reason.

How much difference we will notice while watching a 720P video on
- 720p is not related to SD. When you say 720p its part of HD family. 720p is not SD.

4k TV and FHD TV ?
Can we feel the upscale ?
- To answer this you can go to a showroom and watch it in 8 feet and check the difference. Because opinion differs :).

Thanks for your inputs.
Previously i was asking about SD content, then i realized that most channels are in HD format now a day. In near future almost every channel will come in HD format.

That's why i asked in the next comment about the difference of 720P content on 4K & FHD TV.

I will check that myself once i am back to India.

Thanks for your inputs :) Cheers :clapping:

Hello Guys,

Please share your valuable experience for below scenario :
I am confused between a 40 Inch FHD & 4K TV.
Which one will give more pleasant view when,

A 40 inch Tv with Optical out and now another query on FHD or UHD. :rolleyes:

If you want a honest and simplest answer, it all depends on your Visual Acuity.
The Optimum viewing distance for a 40 inch FHD is approx. 5.3 feet to 8 feet( depend on your eye sight again)

For a 40 Inch 4K TV, you may need to Sit at 2 feet to appreciate the extra pixels. That is why I always say, get a 4k @ 40 inch only if you are going to use it as a Monitor for your Desktop.

Else, it absolutely serves ZERO purpose.

Ps: If your vision is a little down, you may not be able to resolve individual pixels of 720 P Tv of 40 inch size, let alone FHT or 4K

A 40 inch Tv with Optical out and now another query on FHD or UHD. :rolleyes:

If you want a honest and simplest answer, it all depends on your Visual Acuity.
The Optimum viewing distance for a 40 inch FHD is approx. 5.3 feet to 8 feet( depend on your eye sight again)

For a 40 Inch 4K TV, you may need to Sit at 2 feet to appreciate the extra pixels. That is why I always say, get a 4k @ 40 inch only if you are going to use it as a Monitor for your Desktop.

Else, it absolutely serves ZERO purpose.

Ps: If your vision is a little down, you may not be able to resolve individual pixels of 720 P Tv of 40 inch size, let alone FHT or 4K

Great, Thanks for ur reply.

Now i am more inclined to buy 40/42 inch FHD TV :)

Great, Thanks for ur reply.

Now i am more inclined to buy 40/42 inch FHD TV :)

Welcome buddy. Since you had the budget for a 40 Inch 4K tv, use the same budget and look out for 46+ Inch FHD Tv with good motion resolution.

You will surely appreciate the extra real estate you get in a bigger screen;)

Welcome buddy. Since you had the budget for a 40 Inch 4K tv, use the same budget and look out for 46+ Inch FHD Tv with good motion resolution.

You will surely appreciate the extra real estate you get in a bigger screen;)

If you can suggest me some model numbers, i have filtered out below models,

Panasonic
TH-40C200DX
TH-42AS630D

LG
42LB5610
42LF560T
42LF5530

For me optical audio out is must in the TV. Above all models have optical out.

U can suggest me a new model or can suggest which one of the above will be best.

If you can suggest me some model numbers, i have filtered out below models,

Panasonic
TH-40C200DX
TH-42AS630D

LG
42LB5610
42LF560T
42LF5530

For me optical audio out is must in the TV. Above all models have optical out.

U can suggest me a new model or can suggest which one of the above will be best.

The LG models are IPS displays... No never regarded them very high. Panasonic I have no idea about ones you have listed above. When I did a comparison of the Panny against Sony in same price range, Pana was reading files very very slow from Thumb Drive

The LG models are IPS displays... No never regarded them very high. Panasonic I have no idea about ones you have listed above. When I did a comparison of the Panny against Sony in same price range, Pana was reading files very very slow from Thumb Drive

Whats wrong with ips display..

is it really bad ?

Whats wrong with ips display..

is it really bad ?

I would not say IPS panels are bad. It's just that they don't cut in for me.
IPS panels have poor contrast ratio when compared to VA panels. Contrast ratio is really important for a good PQ. Else pictures may look washes out. At the chance of being called names, I am again repeating... Please get a TV for its picture quality . TV is always for viewing and having superior PQ is very important

I would not say IPS panels are bad. It's just that they don't cut in for me.
IPS panels have poor contrast ratio when compared to VA panels. Contrast ratio is really important for a good PQ. Else pictures may look washes out. At the chance of being called names, I am again repeating... Please get a TV for its picture quality . TV is always for viewing and having superior PQ is very important

does all tv from lg in 42 inch category has ips panel ?

coz m nt able to find va panels in lg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back