Discrete Dynamics Class A Pre-Amplifier

Great Joshua :)

I do not see any ground wire from the PSU to the chassis where you have connected the IEC ground. Is it deliberately left out for hum issues?

I do not see any ground wire from the PSU to the chassis where you have connected the IEC ground. Is it deliberately left out for hum issues?
The preamp has on board power supply. Preamp is grounded via volume pot.
Edit : I am sorry, just noticed it's IEC earth.

Regards
Sachin

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:

Ground wire is connected to the chassis near IEC socket itself.

Finished a build for magma:
View attachment 39691

Wow, very neat layout.

That is a nice touch to add 2 pre-outs. I am assuming one is for a Sub? Any plans of adding a crossover between the 2 pre-outs? Does connecting them directly cause any interference or ground issues? Which cable(blue) are you using for the signal?

MaSh

Great build and finish , but why Cyan colour RCA connector instead of Red?

We'll have to ask magma as he bought the parts :D

Well, it's just a colour. As long as we can distinguish between the upper and lower rows of RCA sockets it should be okay.

That is a nice touch to add 2 pre-outs. I am assuming one is for a Sub? Any plans of adding a crossover between the 2 pre-outs? Does connecting them directly cause any interference or ground issues? Which cable(blue) are you using for the signal?

MaSh

I'm not sure how magma plans to use the second output but as far as I know he doesn't use a sub. The two outputs are simply shorted to each other without any crossover - they're just paralleled outputs.

At home I could only try one output at a time so couldn't test for interference or ground issue.

The blue/violet coloured cable is a Helusound AES DMX cable (I think this DMX cable is meant for wiring up AES/EBU digital audio patch panels with XLR sockets). Yes, it's a digital cable of 110 Ohms characteristic impedance, and may seem unorthodox in this application, but I have tried numerous cables (various balanced analog cables, silver-plated copper, tinned copper, multi stranded copper, solid core copper including CAT 5/6, high purity solid core silver, etc as analog internal signal cabling in line level preamps, phono preamps and power amps and this Helusound consistently sounds best to my ears.

I'm not sure how magma plans to use the second output but as far as I know he doesn't use a sub. The two outputs are simply shorted to each other without any crossover - they're just paralleled outputs.

At home I could only try one output at a time so couldn't test for interference or ground issue.

The blue/violet coloured cable is a Helusound AES DMX cable (I think this DMX cable is meant for wiring up AES/EBU digital audio patch panels with XLR sockets). Yes, it's a digital cable of 110 Ohms characteristic impedance, and may seem unorthodox in this application, but I have tried numerous cables (various balanced analog cables, silver-plated copper, tinned copper, multi stranded copper, solid core copper including CAT 5/6, high purity solid core silver, etc as analog internal signal cabling in line level preamps, phono preamps and power amps and this Helusound consistently sounds best to my ears.

Great. Thank you so much for the details.

My amp which Sadik had made uses the same cable I guess. I was thinking of trying something else, although I have no issues with it. However, now will drop that plan.

MaSh

Love the name "Analog Control Center"
And the dot notation for inputs
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks
Raghu

I'm not the one who came up with it though

I stole those parts from my FNL friends
So credit is there's

After looking at all these builds I dont even want to post my iteration of the Digital Design preamp :rolleyes:
Ofcourse it could add to some good humour :)

After looking at all these builds I dont even want to post my iteration of the Digital Design preamp :rolleyes:
Ofcourse it could add to some good humour :)

Please feel free to post, Kannan:)

Even my PAM 12 pre build is fairly messy as I have re-utilised my old DCB1 cabinet.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back