Divx movies

yog

HI all,

Anyone have any pointers on where to get Divx content? I'm looking for movies, not necessarily new ones ... Thanks!

Try searching for torrents using a torrent client like utorrent.

The content might not be entirely legal..:D

Thanks for the responses guys! Any ways other than torrents or other file share mechanisms? I don't mind paying for good content if required. Cheers!

The content might not be entirely legal..:D

Its totally illegal ;)

Moserbaer has come up with DIVX movies on a dvd. This is basically to counter piracy and they give 3 to 4 movies on one disc. Definately there has to be quality loss then a proper dvd

Also bigflix offers divx downloads
check out BIGFlix - India's Largest Video on Demand and DVD Rental service

Also there would be other online stores which would be providing legal divx downloads. Just search on google

But the point is , if you get them for free why pay for the same, that is a debatable question,

i always download whatever i need , never payed for it :)

Yog,

MPEG 2 is lossy compression, When you put a single movie on a DVD, you are leaving behind a huge amount of data. Putting 3 or 4 movies on a DVD?

Though you may get it free or very cheap, in terms of quality it is an absolute no no. Recently on a visit to Dubai, I went into a shady by lane and picked up 3 or 4 DVDs of what is called 'Classic BMA Movies'. The BMA is styled like BMW. Each DVD has some 16 movies. There is one for James Bond, one for Jean-Claude Van Damme, Jet Li, Harrison Ford, etc.

I tried a few, and they are terrible. I have three DVD players that are certified DIVX capable. None of them play beyond the 4th or 5th movie. And when they play, the output is terrible.

I am using these DVDs to to sample the movies like a Trailer. If I like the movies, I will run out and buy the original.

Cheers

yup.....DivX movies and combo DVDs are all cop-out options.....and will look especially bad if you have a large-ish HD screen. Even DivX Ultra certified players can't do much about it....it's like the difference between CD audio and MP3....

Of course, if you want only DivX then torrents are the only option. If cost is the issue why don't you consider signing up for seventymm.com or bigflix? I am signed up with seventymm and it's pretty good. All original DVDs with 5.1 sound (where available). Of course crappy transfers will be crappy transfers and there's nothing much that you can do, but it's a cost effective way to watch a lot of good movies (300 bucks a month for 30 movies)

I have seen some of the divx rips like the ones ripped by aXXo, and the video is really nice. I have seen the video on a 32" Samsung LCD. I am not sure about the audio though, as I have not heard them through a HT setup. To see your movies in the computer, a small tv, with not really a HT setup, divx is really cool.

That leads me to the other question. If someone took an original DVD and made a copy of it, would there be any loss of quality?

yup.....DivX movies and combo DVDs are all cop-out options.....and will look especially bad if you have a large-ish HD screen. Even DivX Ultra certified players can't do much about it....it's like the difference between CD audio and MP3....

Of course, if you want only DivX then torrents are the only option. If cost is the issue why don't you consider signing up for seventymm.com or bigflix? I am signed up with seventymm and it's pretty good. All original DVDs with 5.1 sound (where available). Of course crappy transfers will be crappy transfers and there's nothing much that you can do, but it's a cost effective way to watch a lot of good movies (300 bucks a month for 30 movies)

I am thinking on the same lines. rentals bribgs a dvd movies to rs 100 per dvd. then you can eip or copy to ur HDD. By the way both offer on similar price structure. Seventymm sems to give better service. I got a call thrice in last two weeks asking to join but none fron Bigflix:cool:

DivX is definitely a good format and the way to go to have more data in less number of DVDs. The only question is the size of the file and the amount of compression that has taken place. I have DivX files/movies in the range of 1 GB to 1.5 GB with 5.1 sound and they are terrific to say the least and rock on my Panasonic 29 inch CRT and my Onkyo HT System. Also with file sizes from 1 to1.5 GB it means an entire trilogy is available on a single DVD.

Coming to good sources (yes pirated ones), you can start with isohunt.com/torrents and thepiratebay.org/. My personal preference is of course IsoHunt. Just make sure you search for 5.1 in audio since that will be of benefit in the long term. Most of my 700 MB movies are of no use to me now since they sound pathetic on the Onkyo HT.

Even 700 mb rips are excellent, you need a good player to upscale them and they are in 5.1 format too.

You should always look at downloading dvd rips and from known rippers who are famous for thier work, some of them are Axxo, klaxxon, FXG

all their rips range from 700 to 1.5 gb and are excellent

I managed to get hold of a DivX version of Transformers. Total injustice to audio and video quality ... I don't want to use my precious HT for this kind of content. DivX is not for me ...

Thanks for all the inputs guys! Cheers!

Yog,

I don't know where you got your copy of Transformers from. Try to get one in 5.1 and from a known ripper. Here is a link you can d/l from.

Code:
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4359064/TRANSFORMERS_[2007][AC3_5.1][DVDRip]-FLAWL3SS

It's an excellent rip and the sound too rocks in 5.1. I have seen this very movie on my HT and my 29" Panasonic CRT and its awesome.

I managed to get hold of a DivX version of Transformers. Total injustice to audio and video quality ... I don't want to use my precious HT for this kind of content. DivX is not for me ...

Thanks for all the inputs guys! Cheers!

Yog, don't mind my saying this -

But most new users just hear about divx and jump, they just download whatever stuff they can get their hands on and expect wonders.

There are couple of things u need to look out for -

1. Get stuff from known rippers, who are famous for thier work
2. Don't go for divx cam rips and other stuff as it is of poor quality
3. Always better to go for dvd rips as they are the best.
4. Most people are happy with 700b rips and avoid bigger avi files. There are bigger and better rips out there which are 1 gb plus in size and offer excellent quality with 5.1 sound.

Like moser has posted a link, try the same out and revert back on the findings.Hoping you won't loose your faith so soon ...

I second Dushie that there are indeed good detailed formats of DivX out there. But it also needs to be said that they will not match DVDs in quality. In their defense, it also can be said that you dont pay for the DivX's you download;)

i downloaded some Divx movies after signing up with ZML.com, and i say they ran very well with the Divx dvd player on 29" samsung flat CRT, as good as the original CDs available in market.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back