DIY Boston Acoustics Full Range Speaker

Hi,

I am hoping to buy a used (fairly new) pair of Audio Nirvana Super Ferrite 8 inch speakers for Rs 18000 /-

What do you guys think ? Is the price right and should I buy them at this price.

Please share your opinions here.

Thanks.

Shaan what do you think of this ? Should I buy this speaker ?

A smaller gap will prevent dust getting inside to some extent. Too much of a gap will also generate a little resonance. The gaps seen in your pictures seem okay.

Just out of curiosity, will it be worth to replace the Boston acoustics full range speakers with Ahuja full range speakers of model Ahuja sr50x dx.

Just got hands on these beauties

Webp.net-compress-image-1.jpg

Philips Hi Q International speaker - 8'' driver in good condition.

Also, just swapped the Boston Hi Q drivers with Philips Hi Q International drivers and sound is now much improved without even the phase plug mod.:)

Great thinking ! You can always change just the mounting laminate baffle and experiment with different drivers. Something similar to my upcoming build.
hi yogibear...
I had this idea to change the front baffle and use the box for a different driver.
However, I never taught it will practically work, because each driver needs its own enclosure dimensions.
Will it work?? Or should we replace only those drivers with the closest matching specs ....

Many of the drivers available locally are quite good for DIY projects. Often DIYers think that putting a system with Boutique drivers is going to get them a good system. The reality is far from it. The local drivers if used 'properly' will give the most bang for the buck.

I ve measured quite a few OEM drivers and found them to be very consistent in T/S parameters as well as frequency response.

This 8" driver seems a good one, no doubt its been around for a long time.
BTW, do you think the driver lacks any highs? I am contemplating a project with this driver.

Hi goldyrathore,
Im desparately trying to find some good drivers in local Hyderabad market.
But I have absolutely no clue where to find them. :(
Can you help me with a few suggestions please??
It will be a great help for me indeed!!!

Thanks in advance...:)
Naveen

A volume larger than required should always work and you experiment with different drivers of similar sizes and jobs. And you can also play with placements and even going from sealed to ported and evev diffferent port dimensions for the same driver. For example even more than one port.

Saves you the effort and money of trying different boxes for same or even different but similar drivers.

Also check Iwai.com They have some very nice drivers.
Thank you yogibear :):)

Its good to know that larger cabinet may work in general. I have two pairs of 8" drivers from Iwai. I want to build a pair of BS and a pair of towers with the same drivers and compare how they sound. I hope it will be fun even if I burn some money;)

Iwai is surely good for the price. I built a 12inch sub last year. Ofcourse Aniket is the designer. I was only a carpenter. :D

And if I can get some good drivers in local Hyderabad market, it will be great to experiment.

That's a good idea indeed!!

I'm looking for 6" 8" drivers for making BS for my hometheater purpose. Iwai is surely a good option. I'm curious to build one or two speakers with local market drivers. Ofcourse only if they are reasonably good.

Why not use "Basta" to simulate ? Will help you save a lot of effort, money and time. Will also give you a great idea what one single box with different baffles or / and different drivers will do.

Its one of the most accurate software and highly recommended and even used by MJK himself. Well respected audio DIY master crafter and a great gentleman too !
I'm getting used to the software one at a time. Sooner or later i will surely try Basta

Guys found some guy selling this on OLX for INR 700/- new box packed.
Do they match the Stereo sound quality of the Philips Hi q drivers, are they worth buying?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back