DIY cables

chander

So after doing a lot of research on bi-wiring and trying my hands on DAC & Amazon 16 AWG homemade bi-wires, I decided to stick to Single cable with the Klotz 4.0 reference and the same for jumpers. However, I am looking for decent termination. questions:

1 - Mediabridge is too expensive and not really available on Amazon right now - and as we people have no patience - has anyone used the Amazon banana plugs? Are they really bad? Their OFC 14 AWG cables are pretty good, so was wondering if their plugs are too.
2 - Any one knows where one can get their hands on a decent bunch of Y Spade plugs? Again Mediabridge is not available, or else I wouldn't have thought - this will be for the jumpers.

I do not like to spend too much on cables as my speakers aren't really high end for what I am getting this going. So with all due respect please do not suggest any Audioquest type plugs.

Thanks!

Nevermind, thanks all who visited this page. Pulled the plug on:
1 - Amazon deadbolt type banana plugs
2 - CR7 Y spades
3 - Klotz LY240S
4 - Some Shrink Wraps + PET Cable sleeves.

Lets see what happens :)

Amazon deadbolt type banana plugs - I bought these but seriously these plugs are not designed well to make strong electrical/mechanical connectivity (and deliver consistent current). You can refer many reviews on Amazon.com.

This one on the Amazon.in describe the issue well

"
I was surprised initially when we plug the Banana plug in to the socket the plug keep rotating frequently. Since I did not face any issue I started using it. After two weeks I am hearing cracking noise from some speakers in the home theater setup. When I hold the connector firmly, everything is okay. Now I realized the flaw in the design.
A close watch of the design tell the problem. There is a ring around the the connector with spring action. That ring once inserted into the socket should firmly hold the central member of the Plug. Instead it is so loose that the plug freely rotate after plugging it in.
"

You can look at diyaudiocart and theaudiocrafts websites for banana/spade plugs. you can also look at hifimart but most of them are out of stock.

@SwaroopKS cancelled the Amazon deadbolt and ordered the Sewell silverback bananas. Will let you know once done!

No problem. Keep us posted how it goes and share some pics later of the end result. so what is the rest of your chain?
The rest of the chain is
AVR - DENON X2300W, Quad S1 (front), QA Concept Center (hopefully) - right now a really old yamaha center, Wharfedale 9.0(rear)
Stereo - Audiolab 6000a, Concept 20s, Focal Cub Sub

Wiring and termination is being changed everywhere except the rears.

The rest of the chain is
AVR - DENON X2300W, Quad S1 (front), QA Concept Center (hopefully) - right now a really old yamaha center, Wharfedale 9.0(rear)
Stereo - Audiolab 6000a, Concept 20s, Focal Cub Sub

Wiring and termination is being changed everywhere except the rears.
if i may suggest one change, probably you can switch concept 20s and Quad S1 if you get the concept center. That would match tonality of the LCR and would sound better in my opinion. You can try and experiment on it.

if i may suggest one change, probably you can switch concept 20s and Quad S1 if you get the concept center. That would match tonality of the LCR and would sound better in my opinion. You can try and experiment on it.
I thought of that, but sadly AL 6000 doesn't drive the S1s very well!!! As in it drives the C20s with a lot more authority!!!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back