DIY cooling system for amp

magma

Hello all
i plan to use two 4inch computer(desktop) fans built into a wooden frame for the above purpose:(i will upload adiagram soon)

Please do advice alterantives or things i should take care of

Amp(4inch high) or dvd player stacked on cd player will be kept in a closed cabinet ( well its open only from the front face ofcourse) dimesions 2feet wide and 2 feet deep but only 6inches high. - (hence i feel the requirement for cooling)

I am thinking of placing the fans behind the amp/cd,dvd palyer against the back wall of the cabinet so that the throw air outside

P.S : i do know this is far from the ideal way of placing an amp.However curent space constraints allow only this placement for now.

Larger fans - 120mm - will help keep the sound down. There are some nice blue Silverstone fans I'm using for my rig, they come with rubber 'screws' to damp vibration, work at very low speeds and have a thermal sensor for speed control. At max they are only 800 rpm and only very slightly audible. Most of the time they run ~550-600 rpm, nearly inaudible. Cost about 650 each. I would also use a perforate shelf for some cold air to enter from under the receiver directly, since there is so little space at the top.

cranky
1. where can i buy these fans

2. "I would also use a perforate shelf for some cold air to enter from under the receiver directly, since there is so little space at the top"

how about something like use two pieces of 12mm/20mm glass strips and place them along the sides so to raise the amp by about 0.5-1 inch?

Last edited:
Hi Ali,
Are u referring to the nad amplifier u are intending to buy? Have u already got one?
If yes then it should not be too much of a problem. Of course its not ideal as any class A/B should require some air flow to cool the amp and as cranky mentioned this aspect is not well addressed in most budget amps/AVRs. The Nad at least from what i remember(had a 352 and later the pre/power) never really heated driving the B&W 603( 89db and 8ohms) to moderate levels. My music room was not airconditioned and the rack i had then was closed from the 3 sides like yours, only difference was a 5 inch clearance above the amp. It gets warm on the top but not hot.
My suggestion to u is to try the amp in your home for a few days without doing anything and see. If it heats then u really have to think of installing it better. Raising the amp will have no benefit, adequate space on top is more important.
Rgds

Dinyaar
no dinyaar i have not purchased my audio eqip as yet ( but should be soon now) . i hope to take you while finalizing the deal though
I am awaiting a certain marantz consignment where i have been pomised a PM6002 for 17-18k (or thereabouts) - grey and also looing out for a pre owned nad 320/325 /marantz etc.
if the above doesnt work out we will go for the combination we liked at Priyesh's

Nway back to my cabinet
well its a solid teak frame and the space is 32inches wide(amps are about 17-18inch wide so im hoping this leaves enough breathing space on the sides ) and 30 inches deep
Height of space is constrained to only 7.0 inches ( not 6 )
i was hoping to stack my dvd player above the amp in this space (temporarily)
later the dvd player will be moved above and the space will be dedicated to the amp alone
now i guess the amp is a little under 4 inches and the dvd player is about 1.5 inches
i was thinking to add rubber/wood/glass feet between the amp and the dvd player-1 inch high (to give the amp some breathing room)-cranky suggestion
Total would give a little under 6.5 inches ( real tight squeeze!)

hence the requirement for a fan or two behind.

Also im lazing around at work! building something gives me something to do!:D

@cranky
Prime ABGB ?
whats ABGB ? can you give me an address/phone no./ closer location

Also does the fan work with 230v

Last edited:
Hello all
i plan to use two 4inch computer(desktop) fans built into a wooden frame for the above purpose:(i will upload adiagram soon)

Please do advice alterantives or things i should take care of

Amp(4inch high) or dvd player stacked on cd player will be kept in a closed cabinet ( well its open only from the front face ofcourse) dimesions 2feet wide and 2 feet deep but only 6inches high. - (hence i feel the requirement for cooling)

2 reasons you should not directly stack components. Heat issues as there is no sufficient passage for airflow as Cranky has noted. And also, vibrations potentially impacting your listening experience. I would invest in a rack or DIY, its easy and cheap esp. if you are sort-of handy that is open on all sides and use the equipment. It could potentially save you the price of the amp or repair.

If you cannot do it, try to take the back off of the existing one if it it is not adding to the stability of the overall unit.

Bottom line, let the components breathe easy even in AC rooms.

I have made it with a laptop cooler (4 fans - 60mm), placed upside down over the AVR. It blows out hot air from front and back. Keeps the AVR really cool.

dfivxs.jpg

Notebook cooler: http://www.titan-cd.com/eng/fanpad/g1t.htm
Rs. 450 only.

Last edited:
I had taken close up to show the laptop cooler placement. It is not so cramped as it looks. The laptop cooler is very effective. The AVR does not even reach the normal heating levels now!

Last edited:
Computers, Peripherals, Cameras, Laptops, Gaming Equipment Tech Heaven

It's the name of the shop ;)

You can order online, but the trip may save you some money.

Edit: they just revamped the site, so it's all broken.

Call Minal or Swapnil at 2385 5500/ 2389 6600, and ask for a quote. They charge a little more for home delivery.

CRANKY
the silverstone fans (suscool series)you speak of seem to run on a 12V DC voltage and are generally used in computers.
How do you manage the dc 12v supply ? do you have a seperate AC to DC convertor just for the fans?

i have found another company called sunon that supplies 120mm AC 230 v rated fans that can run off the standard supply in houses.
heres the link. ( check pages 11-15)
http://www.sunon.com.tw/products/pdf/acfan.pdf
these are genrally used as equipment coolers.
Yes i do agree that at 40db they may be louder than the silverstone but do you think 40db is audible at 6-8 feet ? i can test this so im asking ?

what do you think is a better choice?

Well mine run inside of a PC, so 12V is not an issue ;)

A simple wallwart will provide the power, you just have to splice the wires. I would use a 6V adapter. The fans run fine off it, at a lower speed with lower noise.

40dB is the sound of someone whispering. I am pretty sure it will be audible above the noise floor in late night listening, but maybe not during the day.

arre cranky ji
i am simple unpad gawar
please explain
"A simple wallwart will provide the power, you just have to splice the wires."
does it mean - buy an adapter , cur the wires at the terminal provided and then slice them and tape them to the ends of the fan wires?

also i think mobile phone chargers op are 6V DV and 0.3 amps
can these be used?

Last edited:
i have two DC 120mm fans ( 0.16Amp DC 12V )
can i connect them in parallel to a DC adapter ( 500mA 12V dc ) ?
will they work fine in this wiring ( im assuming that series wiring will give a voltage drop across)

thanks to all for your advice
heres the result

Last edited:
I am using USB laptop cooler for this purpose. [it has a big fan, may be 8"] and vorks on 5 volt D.C.

USB = 5volt D.C.

Any old Mobile charger lying idle can be used for powering the Cooler.:)

Just to mention the fan is dead sitent.

I will suggest not to use 220V A.C fans, they are very fast, more than what is required. when reinforced against a perforated sheet will make a lots of noise due to Air turbulance.
Alternatively 2 or 3 A.C fans can be connected in serise to reduce the Voltage and ultimately the Speed.

Regards,

Last edited:
My Marantz AVR SR7005 is now almost 6 years old. Always kept the top (which is fully ventilated) covered with a black chart paper as otherwise a lot of dust settles inside.
So I have installed Antec F19 120mm LED Silent Fan which keeps things cool inside, by blowing out hot air. This is powered by external 12V adapter which automatically switches on/off every time the AVR is powered on/off.

My friend had brought the same AVR at the same time. But in 3 years his HDMI board (top most main board) went bad as it got corroded with stubborn dust, as it was never kept covered.
Replacement board (costing 20-25k) was not available and he had to scrap his unit.

Also use Cyberclean to clean the boards, they look brand new!

199jro.jpg

d8krk.jpg

2i1iff8.jpg

2yuyihe.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that you mounted the fan inside the AVR. Wont that void the warranty?

This was done post 1st year of purchase. So no warranty was applicable then..
Initially I had installed external Evercool Fox 3 fan..bit noisy though..

This was done post 1st year of purchase. So no warranty was applicable then..
Initially I had installed external Evercool Fox 3 fan..bit noisy though..

Thanks for the info mate.
Is there any particular position/device on top of which the fan needs to be placed for better safeguard? Or just a random position is fine? Why i am checking means you have covered rest of the vents with black sheet, so you may have kept the fan on top of any particular chip or board. Just to make sure. :)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back