DIY DAC Suggestion

atharva

Hi All,

I'm thinking of building a DAC myself. While I can handle a soldering iron, multi-meter, screwdriver etc. I don't consider myself a pro. I've seen a few kits on this forum but although the PCB is pre-assembled looks like I have to find a suitable enclosure and fit it. Also, seems like most of the PCBs are imported.

I stream all music and movies via my XTreamer so I only need S/PDIF input. USB is optional. Can you confirm that for DTS/AC3 audio in movies if the XTreamer is able to convert to 2-channel PCM I can feed that to the DAC?

Is there an audiophile quality DIY kit that comes with everything including pre-assembled PCB, enclosure etc and does not need to be imported? I don't even mind paying someone who is willing to build the whole thing for me either. I'm based in Pune.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
As far as I am aware there is no India made kit. The volumes may be the reason that it is not justifiable. There were some posts in thsi forum from someone in chennai about a kit, but that no one seems to have built.

I have built an AK4393/x DAC kit bought from ebay. This, as far as I am concerned is good to my ears. This particular DAC/DAC kit has been extensively discussed and dismembered in DIYAUDIO forum. Look under AK4393. There are enough mods available also. The vendors on ebay also ship a bare bones PCB with the SMD components soldered. You can thereafter apply the DIYAAUDIO member Dario's mods to make it super. The limitations of AK are there, but then what the hell, it is a proven one...for audiophool use you can of course add litres of snake oil....:eek:hyeah::lol:

As far as I am aware there is no India made kit. The volumes may be the reason that it is not justifiable. There were some posts in thsi forum from someone in chennai about a kit, but that no one seems to have built.

I have built an AK4393/x DAC kit bought from ebay. This, as far as I am concerned is good to my ears. This particular DAC/DAC kit has been extensively discussed and dismembered in DIYAUDIO forum. Look under AK4393. There are enough mods available also. The vendors on ebay also ship a bare bones PCB with the SMD components soldered. You can thereafter apply the DIYAAUDIO member Dario's mods to make it super. The limitations of AK are there, but then what the hell, it is a proven one...for audiophool use you can of course add litres of snake oil....:eek:hyeah::lol:

@gopib, did you try the mods suggested by Dario? I've purchased a AK4396 DAC from ebay. I find it very good for the price. I've not yet tried the mods though.

~Swapnil

@svaze. I did not do all of them. Changed the caps in the PS. That was the first step. Then I moved PS off board. To be honest I did not notice much difference, may be my rusty old lead filled ears.

Did you buy the kit with SMD parts soldered??

On the whole a good DIY experience for me.....

@gopib, I bought the fully assembled PCB.

In that case I do not suggest de-soldering unless you are quite skilled. It is a double sided PCB and desoldering is a pain in the ...

You can add an heat sink to the 7912 as it generates quite a bit of heat. Also if you want to be more adventurous you can build an external PS and feed into the board after disabling the on-board one. You can infact use OPS from the forum (Sachin has the kits)

Thanks for the input guys.

@gopib,
1. Does this have S/PDIF digital input?
2. How much did shipping+customs cost you? How long did it take to arrive?
3. Can I get a suitable cabinet online?

@Kaushik,
Seems like the Objective DAC is out because it doesn't provide S/PDIF input. As regards the Ross Martin DAC, should I consider the plain 1794A or the one with dual op amps? What difference do they make?

Thanks for the input guys.

@gopib,
1. Does this have S/PDIF digital input?
2. How much did shipping+customs cost you? How long did it take to arrive?
3. Can I get a suitable cabinet online?

1. yes
2. I was lucky.Customs did not charge. Check ebay for current pricing +shipping.It came to approx 40USD as far as I can remember.
3. ebay has several options, but costly. You can get some locally.

HTH

@spirovious
Thanks. The product description says "WM8805 is a high performance consumer mode S/PDIF transceiver with support for 8 received Channels and 1 transmitted Channel.The audio data interface supports I2S, left justified, right justified and DSP audio formats of 16-24 bit word length, with sample rates from 32 to 192ks/s."

- What are the channels / left-right justified formats?
- Do I need to be concerned with any compatibility issues?
- How do I control volume level? Only via AMP?

I am assuming that my XTreamer has to convert digital audio formats (DTS/FLAC/AC3 etc) into 2-channel PCM which is fed to the DAC via S/PDIF. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Replied to your pm.

I have 5 DACs out of which four are DIY. I love the ODAC the most but unfortunately it is USB only. A forum member on DIYaudio was selling the SPDIF version of the DAC. If you want to go the DIY way I belive this is the way to go.

Within 15K you will get some good readymade DACs too capable of doing 24/96 or even better. There is a list of DACs on HeadFi withing the various price bands which will give you ample choice.

Regarding my DIY dacs you can check my posts where you may see the pictures and comments by fellow forum members.

Replied to your pm.

I have 5 DACs out of which four are DIY. I love the ODAC the most but unfortunately it is USB only. A forum member on DIYaudio was selling the SPDIF version of the DAC. If you want to go the DIY way I belive this is the way to go.

Within 15K you will get some good readymade DACs too capable of doing 24/96 or even better. There is a list of DACs on HeadFi withing the various price bands which will give you ample choice.

Regarding my DIY dacs you can check my posts where you may see the pictures and comments by fellow forum members.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back