DIY Floorstanders/Bookshelf: Help Required

Dear debzcool,
From where you were planning to buy readymade cabinets in bangalore. Please let me know too.
Regards,
Manish

Hey Manish,

I forgot the name of the shop :sad: and lost their card as well but I remember the location of the shop. Its on the 2nd left on SP road. What I can do is, once I am back from Mumbai I would be visiting SP road for some parts so will let you know then the name and the number of the shop.

Hey I have a good news. I will be in Mumbai on Monday so can drop into Jeetubhai's shop. I am planning to get my drivers, crossovers, tweeters everything from him since I dont know when I'll be in Mumbai the next time.

So there are a few things I need to know.

1) Where is Jeetubhai's shop located??
2) Does he accept credit cards(little short on cash since its the end of the month)
3) Will he be able to design and make crossovers for me/will he have ready made crossover's??
4) I need 4x5.25" Midrange composite woofer, 2x1khz tweeters and the 2 xovers. So my question is what kind of an expense am I looking at??

Please help....

Anybody...any help??? I will be in Mumbai for a day or two, so please let me know from where(address) I can procure the drivers and the xovers

debzkool,
diy is good way to have your own kind of things created .i am not sure you can save by doing that in FS speaker . The wood work , finish,materials etc will go >12K.Add to that 1000hours of fun doing diy , that we want but end result must be worth speaking with pride.

I met with people who used well regarded vifa drivers and ended up getting not so happy results.I am in a way not discouraging you .. but i will strongly recommend you do a little more research

* select few MTM (4 suitable )designs read full threads , note down the MDF type/XO types/Tweaking etc and decide on one design
*Just dont buy midwoofers and tweeters (i guess you are replicating a proven design)
*worst thing you will do to your speakers is pop in a ready XO w/o knowing the components ,the behavior
*have a word with tantony/gorge/anil and other experienced speaker DIY members before buying anyting
*Jeetubhai is a dealer not like parts-express ,so he will never design Xos for you

There are many threads here where people put plan fast for FS and finally failure , so dont rush in!

debzkool,
diy is good way to have your own kind of things created .i am not sure you can save by doing that in FS speaker . The wood work , finish,materials etc will go >12K.Add to that 1000hours of fun doing diy , that we want but end result must be worth speaking with pride.

I met with people who used well regarded vifa drivers and ended up getting not so happy results.I am in a way not discouraging you .. but i will strongly recommend you do a little more research

* select few MTM (4 suitable )designs read full threads , note down the MDF type/XO types/Tweaking etc and decide on one design
*Just dont buy midwoofers and tweeters (i guess you are replicating a proven design)
*worst thing you will do to your speakers is pop in a ready XO w/o knowing the components ,the behavior
*have a word with tantony/gorge/anil and other experienced speaker DIY members before buying anyting
*Jeetubhai is a dealer not like parts-express ,so he will never design Xos for you

There are many threads here where people put plan fast for FS and finally failure , so dont rush in!

Hey Kaushik thanks for the advice. I have started reading a lot more from different forums after reading your reply. What I will do from here is will create an action plan and find out the current market costs. Will keep you and the others informed. I am not planning to spend a huge amount so will see if my plan is economical. If so then will go ahead with it else will go ahead and purchase a readymade BS matching my amp for the time being.

But really hope to do it on my own, or the other option would be to go for some kit. Do you know of any speaker kits for FS in India/Bangalore??
Was in touch with Jeya from Corrson but they have stopped manufacturing kits and supplying parts.

debzkool ,
Some facts with the DIY speaker scene here [may be my info is wrong, i would like forum members to point out]
* widely used drivers vifas/tandband/seas/scan speak/mark audio/fostex : not at all available locally .
This leaves us with poor drivers like dainty,zipp,philips,bolton etc etc local items ,
*No satisfactory build under 10K , peerless is one possibility but the finish etc will cross 10k
what can you do
1) join the captain GB thread for a set "best ever speaker kit"..pretty slow GB it has been running for a year,there is uncertain time when you can get a pair of quality
drivers in second batch
2)Import pair of mid bass via ICC world or whatever, good ones will be going 10k + as shipping is high due to weight
3) Consider full range design , easy to builld as no crossovers needed .But the full ranger basic cabinet designs give bass
Mark audio Alpair 10 is one driver which does full range beautifully with decent low end and basic cabinet.

4)diy guru shreekanths drivers : he has done good drivers himself and fabricated as per his design
there are talks on corrson drivers as being taiwan replicas etc .. i am not sure . I visited one diy guy who used the vifa of corrson , they were unimpressive.
to sum up : 20 -28K required to go a basic quality diy FS speakers

Last edited:
debzkool ,
Some facts with the DIY speaker scene here [may be my info is wrong, i would like forum members to point out]
* widely used drivers vifas/tandband/seas/scan speak/mark audio/fostex : not at all available locally .
This leaves us with poor drivers like dainty,zipp,philips,bolton etc etc local items ,
*No satisfactory build under 10K , peerless is one possibility but the finish etc will cross 10k
what can you do
1) join the captain GB thread for a set "best ever speaker kit"..pretty slow GB it has been running for a year,there is uncertain time when you can get a pair of quality
drivers in second batch
2)Import pair of mid bass via ICC world or whatever, good ones will be going 10k + as shipping is high due to weight
3) Consider full range design , easy to builld as no crossovers needed .But the full ranger basic cabinet designs give bass
Mark audio Alpair 10 is one driver which does full range beautifully with decent low end and basic cabinet.

4)diy guru shreekanths drivers : he has done good drivers himself and fabricated as per his design
there are talks on corrson drivers as being taiwan replicas etc .. i am not sure . I visited one diy guy who used the vifa of corrson , they were unimpressive.
to sum up : 20 -28K required to go a basic quality diy FS speakers

First of thanks for helping me out with my project really appreciate it.

Could you please elaborate on point no. 3.

Also I did check out the options for The Best ever speaker kit and thought of importing speakers, but to be frank I really do not want to get into the hassles and delays of having to import stuff.

Being my first DIY I can give some local drivers a try if need be, I may also buy some drivers from forum members.

Ok after posting the previous reply I did go over the full range speaker design and didnt find it quite attractive :sad: Rather what I am planning to do is go ahead with my 2 way design and start work on it asap. What I plan to do is to first acquire a cost estimate. Once that is done, I can either purchase the drivers locally or from a forum member. I have decided to take the plunge into designing my own crossover with all you FM's help.

So shouldnt think too much and should start working :)

All the best !
point 3 : the mark audio driver i told is already there with one forum member only for his usage:p
full rangers have many advances.. you can read .

Buying from FM ,thats a great decision , i am sure some one must have a pair.

Sometimes import is faster 5 day for parts express to US warehouse + 5day to your home.

I dont know why people are scared to import .
Dont import directly and sit chanting prayers for 15-20 days ,it is costly and damage may happen.

Imports are like buying chocolates for GF the via ICC world guys .
They even pay for you at US and get it delivered at your home in 5 -6day time.
Here are some kits :
2way pair kit http://meniscusaudio.com/classix-kit-pr-p-1242.html

http://www.occamaudio.com/kits.html : 120 USD per pc , high Q woofers

and basic kit from medisound : Full MTM kit for a pair @133USD ,if you import will come in 11K , just you have to add MDF
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/mtm-speaker-kits/curts-sten-ii-mtm-speaker-kit-pair/

Last edited:
All the best !
point 3 : the mark audio driver i told is already there with one forum member only for his usage:p
full rangers have many advances.. you can read .

Buying from FM ,thats a great decision , i am sure some one must have a pair.

Sometimes import is faster 5 day for parts express to US warehouse + 5day to your home.

I dont know why people are scared to import .
Dont import directly and sit chanting prayers for 15-20 days ,it is costly and damage may happen.

Imports are like buying chocolates for GF the via ICC world guys .
They even pay for you at US and get it delivered at your home in 5 -6day time.
Here are some kits :
2way pair kit Classix Kit Pr

Occam Audio Speaker Kits : 120 USD per pc , high Q woofers

and basic kit from medisound : Full MTM kit for a pair @133USD ,if you import will come in 11K , just you have to add MDF
Madisound Speaker Store

Thanks for the links...really helpful...I was wondering how long would these kits take to be delivered say I order a kit from Madisound via ICC, how much turnaround time am I looking at ??

OK everyone, I have been able to gather loads of info from the market as well as from other FM's..... will collate and update soon.... I did a lot of research on drivers, amps etc available in India and will soon post on another new thread....this thread will remain for my project queries

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Alright...Now I have a Norge 2060 with built in phono preamp....after doing all my research and considering my budget I am giving second thought to the DIY project....as mentioned earlier I plan to buy the stuff using Credit Card since I am late on my salary this month....so as I found out that in order to procure the drivers, the MDF, the XO components, I would have to pay all by cash since most are normal dealers who dont deal with cards...moreover I cannot overcom the inhibition of importing kits and also paying couple of grands just to have them imported....so I am in a fix now...trying to decide to go ahead with a DIY slowly and steadily over the months to come or to just go ahead and buy a BS or FS using my credit card....as of now I do not have a stereo setup other than my sound bar connected to the TV and my creative 5.1 connected to my desktop....of which none give the quality of sound that I am looking for...so could someone please help this confused soul to decide on something

DIY or Branded purchase
FS or BS

Read about open baffle speakers, read about Jamo R909, read DIY project of Jaudere here in HFV.
I think easiest way to get fantastic mid, live imaging, 3D staging and easiest DIY, go for Open baffle design. There are some design needed to ike out bass. Add a tweeter with a capacitor, you got your full sound range.
We have built OB with Ahuja full range driver and tweeter. We are happy with it.

Open baffle has one big drawback, these speakers need 3 feet minimum distance from the wall behind them (the wall infront of the listener).
Read about Open baffle first, then decide whether you want to go for it or not. Rest will come easily.

I did give open baffle a thought but its size and the amount of space it requires and its overall bulkiness is a turn off....my current listening/entertainment room is 10x12 feet which is pretty small compared to most....so an OB wouldn't be the best option :(

I always wanted a DIY but my current financial status, lack of knowledge, and the inexperience is stopping me....since this is my first setup, I want it to sound nice so that I have enough motivation to keep going higher

I always wanted a DIY but my current financial status, lack of knowledge, and the inexperience is stopping me....since this is my first setup, I want it to sound nice so that I have enough motivation to keep going higher

That is a bad approach.. all want the hit jackpot at 1st attempt.
But you must not neglect the importance of making mistakes !
Then you can improvise and go on and on ..

for eg . I have modded the guitar with new pickups , stringset but in the process the tonal gain has weakened , i am fighting with it , and i will get is back.
The new modded guitar sounds much better with lesser gain .. there are 100 forums where i can get my fix.

That is a bad approach.. all want the hit jackpot at 1st attempt.
But you must not neglect the importance of making mistakes !
Then you can improvise and go on and on ..

for eg . I have modded the guitar with new pickups , stringset but in the process the tonal gain has weakened , i am fighting with it , and i will get is back.
The new modded guitar sounds much better with lesser gain .. there are 100 forums where i can get my fix.

I am not giving up the plans of a DIY. Just shelving it for a few months till I have the proper amount of cash in hand. Once I have that the first thing that I am going to do is start the FS project. Right now I have my credit card to swipe but no cash in hand. If I had or if I could get all the raw material by using my card, I wouldn't have thought twice. I am ready to make a 100 mistakes and learn from them but just need to hold back for sometime. :(

If you are in Mumbai for floorstander I can offer you Tannoy Mercury M3 for 11.5 K

Is the price for a new one??? :confused:
I can only pay by credit card. Do you have an option for that?

Please do not mind my ignorance as I am not really aware of the Tannoy price

What I also wanted to know is that is a Crossover an absolute necessary??? Cant I do without a crossover?? :confused: Really new into this so a little ignorant :p
For someone who is not sure of what is the role of xover (no offense, just trying to point out how rank beginner the OP is) people are giving suggesting niche and exotic stuff. It is akin to teaching quantum theory to a fourth grader.:(
1) join the captain GB thread for a set "best ever speaker kit"..pretty slow GB it has been running for a year,there is uncertain time when you can get a pair of quality drivers in second batch
That group buy is going to be history soon. With the levels of uncertainties that it faced, I'm not sure if there would be a second group buy. At least not going to be me.

You may try to source them from Danny and pay using 'Paypal' through your credit card. Since you are going to use CC, if I were you, I'd buy this or at least this

OK everyone, I have been able to gather loads of info from the market as well as from other FM's..... will collate and update soon.... I did a lot of research on drivers, amps etc available in India and will soon post on another new thread.

I am not giving up the plans of a DIY. Just shelving it for a few months till I have the proper amount of cash in hand.

Actually, that would be wise thing to do. Read and read more. Seek the guidance of avid speaker DIYers like Anil Kumar, T.anthony, GeoreO all of whom are located in Bangalore on what to read and also learn from their experiences. You will not only end up making great speakers in your first attempt but also save top dollars.

For someone who is not sure of what is the role of xover (no offense, just trying to point out how rank beginner the OP is) people are giving suggesting niche and exotic stuff. It is akin to teaching quantum theory to a fourth grader.:(

That group buy is going to be history soon. With the levels of uncertainties that it faced, I'm not sure if there would be a second group buy. At least not going to be me.

You may try to source them from Danny and pay using 'Paypal' through your credit card. Since you are going to use CC, if I were you, I'd buy this or at least this

Actually, that would be wise thing to do. Read and read more. Seek the guidance of avid speaker DIYers like Anil Kumar, T.anthony, GeoreO all of whom are located in Bangalore on what to read and also learn from their experiences. You will not only end up making great speakers in your first attempt but also save top dollars.
+1 what captain says.

Regards,
Sachin

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back