DIY KITS - Transmission Line Speakers - Interest Check

The volume of a sealed cabinet will determine the natural rolloff frequency. No electronics required here just careful cabinet volume design based on driver parameters.

G0bble

If we go by precision calculation,compounded by Peerless India drivers ( meaning variance of about 10% amongst various units ) , there are possibilities that we may end up with a floor-stander on the right and bookshelf on the left.

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: - thats a possibility!

Oh no ... It is a quiet popular term on the net and not without its confusions in intended meanings. But to summarize - a FAST design is small wideband driver like a 3" paired with a large woofer with a crossover set very low like between 200 to 500hz. Fullrange Assisted Subwoofer Technology. The crossover may be electronic or its frequency decided by a calculated cabinet volume.

Edit: Here is an example:
14.png

A bit OT but thats the path I am going...

G0bble

Thanks for providing details about FAST topology. I had made some months ago a Full Range TL with 3.5" Peerless driver. Its at Bangalore with FM Suresh . You can check up with him and have a listen. If you are okay with the mids & highs, I can think of using this for the rest of the design. Here are its images.
206mu0g.jpg

If we go by precision calculation,compounded by Peerless India drivers ( meaning variance of about 10% amongst various units ) , there are possibilities that we may end up with a floor-stander on the right and bookshelf on the left.

:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: - thats a possibility!

ROFL good one! :clapping:

Thanks for providing details about FAST topology. I had made some months ago a Full Range TL with 3.5" Peerless driver. Its at Bangalore with FM Suresh . You can check up with him and have a listen. If you are okay with the mids & highs, I can think of using this for the rest of the design. Here are its images.
206mu0g.jpg

That looks neat! But this just a single driver and no woofer right? Was there a thread on this on HFV? What are its specs and measured performance parameters?
I wonder if FM Suresh has posted a review already?

I am quiet interested in the smaller speakers that can be placed closer to the wall and willing to spend.

Cheers
G0bble

206mu0g.jpg

Hari Iyer
Looks good.
Should sound good too,
But, I guess,if you ever, be offloading the Cabinet work to "You-Know-Who" aka "he who must be named" ( but I prefer to skip :licklips:)
There should be some Eye-Candy that can make few heart skips.

Hope everyone agrees.

I wonder what happen to GR Research kits on the group buy earlier... Very Very few guys have completed that...;)

Work in Progress - Speaker Grills pending for the KIT and Sub too.
likely to start a build thread by sunday ( recovered almost 70% of the images on damaged HD )

ROFL good one! :clapping:

That looks neat! But this just a single driver and no woofer right? Was there a thread on this on HFV? What are its specs and measured performance parameters?
I wonder if FM Suresh has posted a review already?

I am quiet interested in the smaller speakers that can be placed closer to the wall and willing to spend.

Cheers
G0bble

Thanks. I dont think there was a theread as this was a very specific requirement for him. It uses a 3.5" peerless titanium doped cone woofer and goes as low as 60Hz @ -6dB. I have put a crossover at 100Hz to roll-off the low freq to prevent cone vibration where the driver cannot handle easily. The low freq lift is from the line and not the cone. It sounds great on vocals and high and is very seemless in the entire Frequency response. You can check up with Suresh if he can arrange a listening session for you. Will also write to him.

DIY is great. But at least have a 5 inch full ranger. Mids from a 3 inch full ranger doesn't really cut ice

Yes. it won't have the body... true.

It sounds great on vocals and high and is very seemless in the entire Frequency response. You can check up with Suresh if he can arrange a listening session for you. Will also write to him.

Yes that would be nice. Thanks! :)

G0bble

The volume of a sealed cabinet will determine the natural rolloff frequency. No electronics required here just careful cabinet volume design based on driver parameters.
I've vaguely heard of this being done. So how does one drive them? Bi-amp?

Last edited:
I've vaguely heard of this being done. So how does drive them? Bi-amp?

For a single driver + active sub no need. The usual speaker+sub methods.

For the two driver design like the pic I pasted above, they both (drivers) share one speaker terminal.

G0bble

For a single driver + active sub no need. The usual speaker+sub methods.

For the two driver design like the pic I pasted above, they both (drivers) share one speaker terminal.

G0bble
But FAST designs are usually not crossed low so as to enable use of a plate amp. And a plate amp does not allow you to cross so high to ~300Hz. And If you use a plate amp then it's active which means "electronics"!

And the design that you posted is not "true" FAST. It's a regular 3 way design using a passive x-over.

But FAST designs are usually not crossed low so as to enable use of a plate amp. And a plate amp does not allow you to cross so high to ~300Hz. And If you use a plate amp then it's active which means "electronics"!

And the design that you posted is not "true" FAST. It's a regular 3 way design using a passive x-over.

Yes you are right, its not what matches the technical description of FAST. I was quiet enamoured by the visual impact of what a great looking FAST implementation could look like hence I posted only an image link to a dream FAST lookalike model and not the link to the actual speaker review or its design.

Acronyms like FAST are driving people nuts with heated debates and reactions.

For me my first attempt will be limited to a small wideband with sufficiently low rolloff frequency to pair with an active sub - 2.1 Yep, but I dont expect it to suceed too well in the lower mids or upper bass and I anticipate migrating to a design that is more FAST than 2.1 with a 2" driver paired with a larger woofer in the same cabinet. 2.1 is arguably an example of FAST too.

The intention of my original post was to inspire a thought that very large speakers may be off-putting for 1st time DIY'ers and I thought a small FAST design paradigm and implementation might thrill and enthuse FM's more. Hence I posted the smallest wideband+woofer design image I found. :)

G0bble

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back