DIY Mains

i live not too far away - i will drive to bangalore - pick you up - we will get to cannanore (about 6 hours away) -

and then you will be able to listen to sumthin that might satisfy you!:)
Suri, You just love the Cannanore Bangalore drive dont you?

Doors, Rather than the highways, its the uphill twisties in the forest/ghat section that
Suri loves to belt his Vtec on.

This was when you bought the quads right. May I ask what made you choose the quads over the diy options.

What happended to your subwoofer project. did you finish it? I remember you got all the parts etc.

Full range speakers can be multi driver speakers as well as single driver ones. For your choice of music, multi drivers is the way to go.

earlier I was thinking in terms of adding woofer. A tweeter can also be added and that probably is a better option as the cross over point will be much higher if using a fr instead of a midrange. that probably will give much better sound. sub will take care of the lower end. any known good setups for this combo?

I think as Anil suggested , you do a pilot and figure out if you have the appetite for doing a more expensive system based on your experience. About 10-12 years ago I had very little other options available,so I had to go the diy route. In addition, your speaker is one link in the chain-the others will also affect the end result-amp/ sub/ source,dac, etc etc..So when you plan you may want to look at those components as well.

So there could be some element of hit or miss-for example a high sensitivity speaker system may work well with a tube amp, but not the other way around. My solution to this was to check and ask for feedback from people who had built systems, as well as read up-which is why I keep harping on doing some research, and then look at your budget. I ultimately ended up with 4 speaker systems and 4 amps! No doubt that good drivers cost money but they also end up giving you a much bigger bang for your buck, when implemented right.

I think as Anil suggested , you do a pilot and figure out if you have the appetite for doing a more expensive system based on your experience. About 10-12 years ago I had very little other options available,so I had to go the diy route. In addition, your speaker is one link in the chain-the others will also affect the end result-amp/ sub/ source,dac, etc etc..So when you plan you may want to look at those components as well.

So there could be some element of hit or miss-for example a high sensitivity speaker system may work well with a tube amp, but not the other way around. My solution to this was to check and ask for feedback from people who had built systems, as well as read up-which is why I keep harping on doing some research, and then look at your budget. I ultimately ended up with 4 speaker systems and 4 amps! No doubt that good drivers cost money but they also end up giving you a much bigger bang for your buck, when implemented right.

Hi George,

I really want to do this:) and I am really charged up and gung ho about this. I will do a lot of research before I take the plunge, including diy desktop speakers and if needed doing diy surrounds. I have already been doing a lot of reading and will continue to do so, I guess in about 4-6 months time, I will be ready to take up the project.

I have already done a good sub and that gives me a lot of confidence. I know the speakers are different, but then I didnt know jack about subs when I started out.:lol:.

I have (or is it had to:).) studied a lot of electronics in college, made a lot of circuits on bread boards, used oscilloscopes, made pcbs from scratch. A lot of it I dont remember, but reading will surely help.:), atleast I will reach a stage where I can understand the concepts behind a crossover and what goes into making it. If I dont feel comfortable, I can always take help, use pre-existing desins or kits etc. I dont have soldering skills, but that I can use some shop guy to do it for me. I can also learn and practise a bit as its quite a useful thing I feel.

I think so far what I have read, crossover is the hardest component to design, good part is I dont mind tweaking around with the crossover to get better sound. What I would be loath to do is make a big cabinet and then end up trashing it coz I choose the wrong drivers, so thats where I have to be very careful.

Desktop Speakers
OK, so the first I will take up is my desktop speakers. The space for this is about Wxhxd 9"x10.5"x9". I am thinking about going with a 4/5" FR driver, any bigger might not be good with nearfield. Any opinions about what size is suitable for this. If I am not happy with the performance, I can always add
a tweeter-crossover or sub or both depending upon the need. Though I think it will be a sub as a small FR will give decent High frequencies. I will be using some used 30-50w ss integrated/power amp. Since these are small sized cabs, sensitivity probably wont be too big to use ss. The source is m-audio revolution 7.1 sound card with flacs. Some day I might add a dac to the setup.

I also liked a few 2-way designs on the web. Will discuss these once i have sorted out a few things and narrowed down the list.

thanx.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back