DIY Pipe Speakers

sunilmani

I had been toying around with the idea of making a set of pipe speakers. Around Jan time frame, i came across a driver online which made me want to make something with it. So, i started with the project. By the time time i could gather all the components needed, Covid-19 happened. Finally last week was able to complete the project. Few snaps and description on how the journey has been.

The Driver that caught my attention -
1603909765136.png

The specs, not that i really cared for

Impedance:8Ohm
Rated Power:12W
Power range:5-15W
(Fo):61Hz
frequency response:61Hz-18.5KHz
sensitivity:88dB

The tweeters i used were -
1603909791083.png

I had a few criteria, the driver should be around the ear height, the colour needs to be matt black and something that went well with my drawing room.

The design was critical for me, since i did not want it to look shabby in my drawing room.
I made a rough sketch and started work.

The pipes i got from my neighborhood hardware shop. Somehow seemed that every hardware shop does not keep a 6" pipe and a bend. I found it strange though. I got the pipe cut as per specifications and started the work.

1603910090369.png
Painting a PVC was tricky, especially since i had never done a paint work before. But it came out well.
1603910162261.png

Finally, connected all the pieces together and the final outcome was this -
1603909664675.png

The sound is good, the mids and highs are clean. I would be filling the pipe with some polyfill to take care of the low end hollowness.

1603910922808.png

Attachments

• 1603909978896.png
    1603909978896.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
How do they sound. Looks fantastic !
The vocals are great, the highs are clean and separated out - the filters are doing their job well. The lows are a bit soft. I think polyfill should do the trick. I am waiting for the polyfills before a final conclusion on the sound quality

Well done!
The drivers look like these - Audio Labs DQ40TZF

There are some other interesting projects around this driver -

Cheap Nautilus -

Ikea Blanda

Looks splendid. Full black is perfectly contrasting the drivers giving it aesthetic look. Can you share details of the drivers and where you sources those gorgeous transparent plinths?

Looks splendid. Full black is perfectly contrasting the drivers giving it aesthetic look. Can you share details of the drivers and where you sources those gorgeous transparent plinths?
The plinths were sourced from an acrylic laser cutting shop. I provided the drawing and got them cut as per specs. The drivers were sourced from here

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back