Diy projector screen build

Naveenbnc

Hello all,

I made a diy grey screen for my projector. I made the frame with pine wood, and I got the fabric from our fm Kannan, and he was very helpful.

Thanks a lot @elangoas for the guidance on the fabric and build etc.

The fabric colour is slightly lighter than the way it looks in the picture.

My white wall is simply awesome for the picture quality. But now I can put my center and front speakers behind the screen. Ant the setup looks clean.

Its little smaller than 110" standard size, but since my room depth is small, and the screen is mounted 8" away from the front wall, the image size is slightly smaller than expected. But with a smaller room, there is not much i can do.

Overall, very happy. Il share some pics soon.

Spandex. It is supposed to be acoustic transparent. I didn't measure, but i didn't notice any degradation in center channel performance. So all speakers can go behind the screen.

It is Acoustically transparent and is the preferred fabric by most of the large to very large DIY screen in dedicated HT set-ups in other forums..

I have identical L-C-R, L/R outside the screen and the center behind the screen.. Post Audyssey calibration, i noticed that the center speaker level is slightly higher than the L/R.. So there is a bit of sound loss (very high freq), but that should get adjusted during calibration..

BTW, are your L-C-R speaker, shallow depth DIY?..

Congratulations Naveen
Dear Kannan, without your help this is not possible. Thanks a lot for sending the fabric !!☺️☺️

@elangoas my LCR speakers are diy with 7.5" deep enclosure. Ofcourse, il keep building different shallow depth speakers. But i love the feel of the screen. And hiding the speakers behind the screen is giving clean look.

Currently I'm out of station. Il share a few pics soon

Hello all,

I made a diy grey screen for my projector. I made the frame with pine wood, and I got the fabric from our fm Kannan, and he was very helpful.

Thanks a lot @elangoas for the guidance on the fabric and build etc.

The fabric colour is slightly lighter than the way it looks in the picture.

My white wall is simply awesome for the picture quality. But now I can put my center and front speakers behind the screen. Ant the setup looks clean.

View attachment 34020

View attachment 34021
Hi sir, what size , width & height

Hi,

congrats! whats' the price of fabric? what's the gain?
I too want to DIY grey screen 9x6, but not fixed screen...........

Hi,

congrats! whats' the price of fabric? what's the gain?
I too want to DIY grey screen 9x6, but not fixed screen...........
u dont want fixed screen.... u need a pull down type?
This fabric is stretchable one. You have to stretch it and then staple to wood.
contact our FM @yeshokan for the fabric and the price. quality is good :):)

First you have to add black spandex. On top of it you have to add grey or white spandex

u dont want fixed screen.... u need a pull down type?
This fabric is stretchable one. You have to stretch it and then staple to wood.
contact our FM @yeshokan for the fabric and the price. quality is good :):)

yes, i need a pull down type....is it possible in DIY... anyone has done it?

First you have to add black spandex. On top of it you have to add grey or white spandex

you mean before putting grey fabric, I have to add black in background? pls clarify.....

you mean before putting grey fabric, I have to add black in background? pls clarify.....
Yes. Black spandex fabric will be behind white or grey.
It stops the light from passing through the fabrics. If the light passes through, the image looks washed out as far as I understand.

yes, i need a pull down type....is it possible in DIY... anyone has done it?

With the spandex fabric, DIY pull down type screen is not possible.. It is mostly used for fixed (placement) screens..

If you were ok with white paint, why did you not go for white spandex rather than grey. I am assuming you can control the light in the room, else even white paint wouldnt have worked.

White wall is really good. But if I use the wall... I have to keep my center channel below the image.
Main target is to hide all the front speakers behind the screen so that the room looks better.
Secondly there are two switchboards on that wall, and the image falls on them to some extent.
After using grey screen, the image is not as bright as my white wall, but it is relatively pleasing to watch.
Hi sir, what size , width & height
I was getting 8ft wide x 4.5ft high image on the wall. But since the screen moved forward by around 8 inches, I am getting slightly smaller image now.
But that is fine since my room itself is not so big.

Hi guys .... i dont have a good camera to take the pics ... but im sharing with whatever phone i could grab.
The intention is not to show the image clarity etc.... because I didn't do thorough calibration yet.
Main purpose is to show the image brightness with a big tube light just above the screen.
With a white screen, the image definitely looks brighter, but I felt grey screen is little comfortable to watch without too much brightness.
Also black shades are "relatively" darker on grey screen compared to white. (although opinions are subjective...)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back