DIY Room Accoustics for Home-Theatre

@shelly, what is the plan next? You put frames on the wall and then put the wood wool board and after that what? Will you be using a perforated board on top of it? Or you apply fabric on top of wood wool board directly? If it is the latter (might apply to the former too) I'd recommend you to put a thin layer of low density foam (thin yellow foam you get at mattress shops) on top of wood wool before putting fabric on it. It'll give a nice soft feel when you touch the fabric instead of you feeling the uneven texture of wood wool.

@sash
You are absolutely right. In person Patel is a honest person. He has been manufacturing for the last 40 years.

Nope...I will fix perforated hard board on top of the wood wool packed frames and then add fabric (Burlap or Wool Fabric), like they do in studios..I visited a studio to view how it is done...had a discussion with a person who did work for studios..
Lion%20Hardboard%20Perf.gif

Dimension : 4' x 4' = 16 Sq: ft
Pricing: Rs.280/- per board (Maybe less in Metros and other cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore). Visit Wholesale Plywood Shops..
Works out to Rs.17.50/- sq:ft

Need to paint Wood Primer over frames to avoid termites and for durability...

In place where you need to fix Air Conditioner go for thick marine plywood...paint it with primer..Drill hole for AC duct to pass through the wall to outdoor unit..
The frames should be a bit thick where you need to fix screen....I am planning to go for DIY screens with aluminium frame to reduce weight...Black powder coated matt finish aluminium sections are readily available in the market...

Order of implementaion:

1. Get Timber
2 Paint it with Wood Primer before fixing, else you will not be able to paint on back side of the frame..
3. Allow it to dry
4. Fix frames on walls
5. Insert Wood Wool in such a manner that there will be a gap betwen Wall and Wood Wool. Can be done using timber fixed across the panel after leaving gap on the rear side...
6. Fix Perforated hard Board on all frames and then paste fabric for a seamless appearance. In such case the frames cannot be removed.
or
Paste fabric on each panel and fix it. Joints will be visible..But can remove panels..

I am planning to implement the first option for better aesthetics..

Hope that Lorry Receipt will be delivered tommorrow by couriers so that I can take delivery of Wood Wool..

Last edited:
Re: DIY Room Acoustics for Home-Theatre

Took delivery of Wood Wool. Transportation costs Rs. Rs.2,860/- from Bangalore to Trivandrum
2dl4why.jpg

5 wood wool boards in 1 pack....

Got violet timber pieces (imported) from a timber merchant known to me at an attractive rate of Rs.6/- ft.
Total 650 ft purchased. Carpenters will start creating frames tommorrow...Carpenters have promised to finish the job for Rs. 13,000/-
(including cutting and sawing, applying wood primer, fixing frames and fixing perforated hard board. Fabric fixing will be done by upholstery workers.)

Last edited:
@rameshbitra

Ofcourse.. I will upload pictures of the wooden frames and completed panels when work starts tommorrow,

@shelley,Excellent and informative thread for beginners like me thanks a lot Shelley.

My HT is still in planning stage, though my new home construction started it has not reached the third floor yet, where i am going for dedicated HT and decided to follow your way and hope you will help me if come across some issues.

just waiting to see your pics of completed HT and also progressing pics,please keep posting.

Thanks again

Work started only by afternoon..Carpenters are working overnight today..Images of wooden frames (work-in-progress)..

depao7.jpg

The frame is lying on the floor. The four squares on top will hold 2 wood wool boards. 2' wide and 4' height. The center wood piece fixed horizontally is to hold wood wool in position and to create a gap between wall and wood wool...Will be more clear when I post detailed pictures shortly..

a2ezr6.jpg

Last edited:
Wooden Frames completed for 2 side walls upto 15 ft length (height: 8.5', slightly below beam level...false ceiling will be done bordering the frame). Carpenters have left.. Will be back tommorrow...
The frames are still work in progress..Needs sawing and correcting levels, Applying wood primer and fixing frames to walls etc..

A frame against the wall holding a single wood wool board.
2uzsc5v.jpg

A frame with two wood wool boards as a single panel..The right side panel needs a bit of sawing so that the wood wool will perfectly fit inside..
This will be a 4 x 4 square and a 4 x 4 perforated hard board will be used to close the panel holding the 2 wood wool boards.
6ymvk7.jpg

A gap (for better acoustic absorption) created between the wall and wood wool because of the wooden section placed across the frame.....(See image above and below)..the middle wooden section placed across a single panel holding 2 wood wool boards.

Reason for creating gap between wood wool and wall:
The sound waves will pass through fabric and perforated hard board and then through wood wool and most of the waves will get absorbed. Some of the waves will still pass through the gap hit the wall and then rebounds and further gets absorbed by the wood wool, hence better absorption..
2q2pysl.jpg

Last edited:

Current Status...Frame completed upto 13' from front wall (room dimensions: length is 24' and width 13') and boards placed..

Really Unbelievable...
The refelections and echo has been reduced to almost nil... :)

21b53xw.jpg

29nuj4m.jpg

The image is slightly dark and dull since there was only 1 source of light inside the room..

At first I was planning to do wood wool upto 5' height from the floor till 15' length from the screen and then ceiling too...I am not treating my ceiling with wood wool now as the room will get too damped...Ceiling will be plain Gypsum..
The remaining frames will be completed tommorrow and the rear wall and rear corners will be treated with wood wool...After fixing perforated Hard board and wool fabric the room will sound perfect...

Now i am quite sure that most of the opinion provided by the so called acoustical experts are absolutely wrong when taken in the context of building "Home theatres"...
Studio acoustics and home theatre acoustics are entirely different and never fall prey to such expert opinions...:)
Some of these experts had quoted 1.5 to 2 lakhs for room acoustics....:) :)

Wood Wool is 100% economical, BioSafe and excellent acoustical material....

Last edited:
Thanks for the regular photo updates, really useful for people like me who are planning to replicate the setup:lol:.

Eagerly awaiting for the completed setup.

carpenters have finished fixing frames and wood wool on rear wall and corner too..Started fixing perforated hard board..will be completed tommorrow..

@sash
Denon AV Receiver and Polk speakers...Have already an Acer Projector...Will change projector after some time when 4k projectors start flooding the market..

My next step will be a DIY Screen 16:9 (150").. :)
131" Width and 74" height

A lateral view of the panel. The pink color is the wood primer coating (Berger Paints-Parrot Brand) on wooden frame...

2zswjli.jpg

Perforated Hardboard fixed to the panel by a carpenter..
2h57cjk.jpg

The perforated hard boards are fixed to wooden frames using small nails. A bit of sanding is required at the hard board edges to make it level with the wooden frames so that the fabric can be pasted evenly..

Hardboard fixing completed...
2renxfm.jpg

Sorry, the image is not clear due to camera flash artifacts due to reflections from hard board...

Now the upholstery workers need to fix fabric to the panels...

Tested with speakers...No reverberation due to reflections :)

Last edited:
@Shelly, nice. Eagerly waiting for the next step to complete as i'm curious how you'll get the cloth fitted over this. Please post detailed steps. Thanks again.

Need to treat Bass now....Reading about Bass Traps...Suggestions are welcome..

Need to treat Bass now....Reading about Bass Traps...Suggestions are welcome..
Thanks shelley for your usefull cost effective HT, really aim very impressive, about the out come, like many aim also the one who got high quote around 1.5 to 1.8 for 15 X 20 feet set up for dedicated HT hope your set up come out well and will defiantly replicate same set over my house..Regards Raj:clapping::clapping:

Almost on verge of a solution using wood wool and polyfibre combination ..tested it and found it to be good to tame bass boom (low frequency standing waves)...Details with photos will be posted once it is ready..

absorption.jpg

"Bass is tricky because the wavelengths are so very long (a 20Hz wavelength is 50 feet long!) and they interact with the physical dimensions of the room, especially at room boundaries. Each time two room boundaries intersect at 90 degrees to one another, you typically get a 3dB increase in sound pressure. You'll get between 6-9dBs of increase in the corners because you have three room boundaries coming together, so there are additional interaction effects. Depending on the room size and sound frequency, you'll get some standing waves piling up on one another in a summative manner resulting in huge "peaks" while others will interact in a destructive manner resulting in "troughs" in frequency response throughout the room. Bass traps (especially when placed in the corners of the room) can go a long way toward smoothing out these effects and producing more uniform bass response throughout the room."

I am planning to build corner bass traps following Ethan Winer's tips as follows:

9bjewj.jpg

"Using two traps adjacent in a corner as in the Figure above works well, and takes even less space away from the room. Spacing the panels two to six inches off the walls as shown improves their absorption further. its best to cover the entire corner from floor to ceiling."

The fluffy polyfibre was procured from a wholesaler 10kg (Rs.1400/-)...

I will be using using wood wool boards ( 4 x 2) cut into half lengthwise and the 2 wood wool layers (18mm +18mm) will be sandwiched with polyfibre, on 3 room corners from floor to roof. The wood wool boards will be spaced away from the corners (using wood frames) and spacing filled with fluffy polyfibre material..The corner bass traps will not be covered with perforated hardboard, but only with fabric for maximum absorption..

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back