DIY - Room Acoustics..

There is no mention of density of the product..

I think DIY route will be cost effective..

One of the local FM, mentioned abt a material called Felt which are used in studios & theaters.. I googled a bit, think the panels are very thin.. Anyone aware of its details and its applications?..

Found some article on Felt - https://www.scirp.org/Journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=76944

Last edited:
I have installed acoustics from Aural Exchange at our studio and have been fairly happy with the results. I first went ahead with the DIY route of producing acoutic panels with Glasswool which rendered to be very tedious and we had to drop the idea in the middle. While DIY has its benefits, in the interest of time, I would recommend going with a family proven solution. I got quotes from various professional installers and they quoted a bomb for a 250 SQFT AV room. I finally settled with AE after speaking with one of their guys who appeared very knowledgeable and guided me all the way along after I sent him pics and videos of the space. You are most welcome to come take a look at our AV room and see if it might help you with your project.

I am also interested in the bass trap tube.. Can we all get together and organize a group buy for that and get some discount?

Sure.. We can, would be happy to do that.. But, before we proceed, it is better to have clarity on the product and its acoustic properties of density & absorption.. There actually may be a need of 4 - 5 (or) more traps in the room..I don't know if am right, but i feel if the absorber is flat on a surface, it may absorb more bass than a cylindrical one..

I will try to speak to them and check if they can share acoustic properties of the product..

I have installed acoustics from Aural Exchange at our studio and have been fairly happy with the results. I first went ahead with the DIY route of producing acoutic panels with Glasswool which rendered to be very tedious and we had to drop the idea in the middle. While DIY has its benefits, in the interest of time, I would recommend going with a family proven solution. I got quotes from various professional installers and they quoted a bomb for a 250 SQFT AV room. I finally settled with AE after speaking with one of their guys who appeared very knowledgeable and guided me all the way along after I sent him pics and videos of the space. You are most welcome to come take a look at our AV room and see if it might help you with your project.

Thank You very much.. Sure i would like to drop in and get a first hand feel of acoustics in a room.. Will PM you..

Recently saw this on aural exchange :
https://www.auralexchange.com/produ...-0-6m-mineral-wool-acoustic-insulation-board/

This looks to be a genuine product as they mention density, and nrc over different range of frequency. Though still you will have to make the frames to hang them. But looks relatively cost effective than other options. Even if you cover your whole back wall only 2 inches of room space will reduce.
They also have this sample for the same material :
https://www.auralexchange.com/product/nankarrow-geowool-1-x-1-x-2-product-sample/

If there is a group buy on cylindrical bass traps, I am interested in buying 4-6 as well. My 2 paisa, when buying acoustic treatment products it is better to buy tested products from a certified lab that show actual measurements rather than manufacturer claims. Most of the time the claims - especially relating to low bass 50-80 hz are not genuine (the manufacturer has to get proper measurement done from a certified lab). One cannot know unless one actually measures which is a tedious process so I preferred certified ones. And I am particularly wary of foam based products, especially bass traps.
Cheers,
Sid

Guys that's a tube based trap.
Check specs.
50-250hz.
Hertz is a Mumbai based company I guess.
Can Anyone from Mumbai check it's performance?

Did you guys try subwoofer isolation?
I used a rubber gym tile and it made a day and night difference.
Tried in my and my uncle's room. Both rooms aare very different but subwoofer is same.
Bought the tile for 250 rupees. I know sound too good at this price. But one can experience it themselves 250 bucks is like nothing when compared to other treatments.

Will try to use REW to post before after graphs.

Any leads towards great acoustics + super looks(WAF) + safe + reasonable prices
Would be of great help for all the forum members.

Everyone seems to spend so much on other equipments in quest of better sound.
Instead we can spend on acoustics if all the above criteria are fulfilled.
Group orders can get us good prices from a reputable company.

Did you guys try subwoofer isolation?

Yes.. My dual subs are isolated from room boundaries, suspended from ceiling..

I used a rubber gym tile and it made a day and night difference.

Would you share a picture please.. You mean to de-couple vibrations?..

Will try to use REW to post before after graphs.

I think, if the location of the sub in the room didn't change, then the response also wouldn't change.. Share the subs response..

IMG_20180915_222729.jpgIMG_20180915_222743.jpg
Subwoofer placeed on the tile.
This corner of the room had EXTREME boominess . So high that sitting 5 minutes on that side table while playing a bass heavy track would cause headache.
Total floor is raised by 4 inches using wood. Then carpet on it.

Last edited:
. I think, if the location of the sub in the room didn't change, then the response also wouldn't change.. Share the subs response.

Even I was surprised to see the difference.
But Have used the subwoofer with and without tile for sufficient duration to tell this with confidence.

Subwoofer placeed on the tile.

Really a tight spot for the sub..

This corner of the room had EXTREME boominess . So high that sitting 5 minutes on that side table while playing a bass heavy track would cause headache.

Ok.. May be you were sitting in a place where some freq had a peak..

Even I was surprised to see the difference.
But Have used the subwoofer with and without tile for sufficient duration to tell this with confidence.

What difference did you feel?..

Really a tight spot for the sub..

Ok.. May be you were sitting in a place where some freq had a peak..

What difference did you feel?..

Bass was muddy and Boomy at that position. Its neither after placing the sub on that tile.

If it was a peak then it disappeared after placing the sub on the tile

Bass was muddy and Boomy at that position. Its neither after placing the sub on that tile.

If it was a peak then it disappeared after placing the sub on the tile

Check this last graph on this post - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...in-ceiling-subwoofer.68753/page-3#post-788520

The sub response had a peak at 60Hz, when the sub was almost close to ceiling.. After dropping the height by 18 inches, the peak reduced by 7dB, but it is still there.. Am surprised, that just by putting the sub on tile, you didn't feel the boominess..

https://www.tekrevue.com/review-svs-soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system/

I will definitely agree with the above review and I would have expressed the same.

This is what REW results were using the rubber tile.(around 8db difference at the 400ms Mark on the waterfall graph when used with/without the tile-from 30hz to 120hz, didn't check above this) I think the sound path would give even better performance. But works on the same principle.
Unable to upload the waterfall graph due to image size.

This isn't a solid rubber. Instead its made using small particles of rubber just like a particle board is made using small particles of wood.

https://www.tekrevue.com/review-svs-soundpath-subwoofer-isolation-system/

I will definitely agree with the above review and I would have expressed the same.

This is what REW results were using the rubber tile.(around 8db difference at the 400ms Mark on the waterfall graph when used with/without the tile-from 30hz to 120hz, didn't check above this) I think the sound path would give even better performance. But works on the same principle.
Unable to upload the waterfall graph due to image size.

This isn't a solid rubber. Instead its made using small particles of rubber just like a particle board is made using small particles of wood.

So this is basically decoupling the vibrations if placed directly on floor.. Use external image hosting site, imgur to share REW images ..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back