DIY - Room Acoustics..

I too have similar issues. While I did buy the minidsp, I want to first do the treatments and then put in the EQ. I was looking at putting these at the corners. Will they help as a bass trap? https://www.auralexchange.com/produ...dproofing-acoustic-corner-bass-trap-set-of-2/

Not very sure if this trap would work.. If i remember correctly, you have a dedicated HT room..May be you can consider a wooden frame built like 1 feet from the front wall, switch to Acoustic transperant screen, so you can place all the speakers behind the screen & use the depth of 1 feet to stuff the entire front-wall (in-between the speakers) with absorption, which might help a lot..

Not very sure if this trap would work.. If i remember correctly, you have a dedicated HT room..May be you can consider a wooden frame built like 1 feet from the front wall, switch to Acoustic transperant screen, so you can place all the speakers behind the screen & use the depth of 1 feet to stuff the entire front-wall (in-between the speakers) with absorption, which might help a lot..
Not sure if that would work, as it would mean that the speakers are really close to the wall esp. as its rear ported. That apart, no way, I can now dismantle everything and move to an acoustically transparent screen.

I too have similar issues. While I did buy the minidsp, I want to first do the treatments and then put in the EQ. I was looking at putting these at the corners. Will they help as a bass trap? https://www.auralexchange.com/produ...dproofing-acoustic-corner-bass-trap-set-of-2/
Since you do have minidsp lying with you, how about you try the minidsp first and see if it can make any improvements. It should be fairly easy to use from what I have seen on YouTube and forums. Then you can accordingly decide on the room treatment.

Since you do have minidsp lying with you, how about you try the minidsp first and see if it can make any improvements. It should be fairly easy to use from what I have seen on YouTube and forums. Then you can accordingly decide on the room treatment.

DRC is not a replacement for placement and treatment, it is another tool and not an only tool. IF you meant measure before you decide on how top treat yes ofc, I agree. I am trying to figure it out, with measurements this second time as I attempt changes to arrangement, electronics etc :)

ciao
gr

DRC is not a replacement for placement and treatment, it is another tool and not an only tool. IF you meant measure before you decide on how top treat yes ofc, I agree. I am trying to figure it out, with measurements this second time as I attempt changes to arrangement, electronics etc :)

ciao
gr
Actually i meant just using dsp as an alternative. Just like we use in car audio. Because in car audio we don't have any much options for treatment and placement. That's where a dsp comes in. My friend uses a minidsp in the car and the difference mini dsp has made is a lot. But that does come with a lot of fine tuning after multiple measurements. So If it can be done in a car I'm pretty sure it can be done for a room also.

Are there any other specifications like weight, NRC? I see nothing in Amazon and their own website.
Nrc specs aren't available.. they will mail me the specs.( I have requested for details)
Weight is mentioned on their website.

https://www.hifizine.com/2011/06/bass-integration-guide-part-1/

This is a 3 part complete article for bass.
Very lengthy but detailed go through it if you want to get best possible bass in your budget.

Actually i meant just using dsp as an alternative. Just like we use in car audio. Because in car audio we don't have any much options for treatment and placement. That's where a dsp comes in. My friend uses a minidsp in the car and the difference mini dsp has made is a lot. But that does come with a lot of fine tuning after multiple measurements. So If it can be done in a car I'm pretty sure it can be done for a room also.

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/201071room-correction-a-primer-html/

http://www.homestudiocorner.com/acoustic-treatment-vs-digital-room-correction/

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...-digital-room-correction-or-equalizers.41862/

DRC alone does not fix everything.

And if it could in a parallel universe us speaker-in-a-room types would be as fortunate as the HP crowd. Buy equipment, throw into a corner, flip the switch on the magic box and viola nice clean clear stereo happens. Alas! it does not work that way in the one we are in.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Not sure if that would work, as it would mean that the speakers are really close to the wall esp. as its rear ported. That apart, no way, I can now dismantle everything and move to an acoustically transparent screen.

I suppose, you anyways would use subs.. In that case, you may cross at 80Hz to mains.. I don't think using your FS close to wall would be a problem, may be you can leave lil space from behind, 2 - 3 inches..

I suppose, you anyways would use subs.. In that case, you may cross at 80Hz to mains.. I don't think using your FS close to wall would be a problem, may be you can leave lil space from behind, 2 - 3 inches..
Let me talk of my issues in a separate thread, lets keep this one to your problems.

Sure.. Not a problem..

Anyways, located a rockwool supplier in chennai.. Will meet him in his office tomorrow and check on the aval of material, pricing..

~ 36 kg/m³ is all that is needed. It is good to have an air gap from the wall to increase the effective thickness.

Plenty of 'net references. I am unable to find my .txt with links I had collected when researching this a few years back. here's one http://ethanwiner.com/density.html

ciao
gr

Frequencies above that are also affected by placement.

~ 36 kg/m³ is all that is needed. It is good to have an air gap from the wall to increase the effective thickness.

Plenty of 'net references. I am unable to find my .txt with links I had collected when researching this a few years back. here's one http://ethanwiner.com/density.html

Thx.. I will check the aval with the supplier..

I plan to do it on ceiling, like it was done by one AVS member, shared the link in earlier post.. Room is small 14 x 11.. Big panels with few inches airgap will take away some of my little living room space.. Still undecided though..

Any thoughts on thickness (i was thinking of 8 inch) & approx area to be considered?..

Frequencies above that are also affected by placement.

True.. I was saying that as the FM was lil concerned on placing rear ported FS near wall..

Also happened to read on SBIR - http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/what-is-speaker-boundary-interference/ Too many acoustic articles to absorsb though :p.. So, i guess speakers are best close to wall..

Probably the dip at 90Hz in my measurement was also due to SBIR i guess..

Thought abt something.. If anyone has any insights on it, please share your views..

- To absorb bass, lower down the range (>80 Hz), a lower density absorber is required, which is clear..
- More thicker the better (1/4th wavelength of the freq to absorb).. This too is clear..
- More thinner panels around the room also helps in absorbing bass, more surface area.. This is also clear..

Among the above criteria, i believe absorber density has to be first.. but which among these would take next precedence - Thickness of panel Vs Surface Area?..

My two cents. The more absorption you setup the more speaker energy is lost so needs more headroom. Also a side effect will be the room will become hotter. So start with a smaller thickness esp. In the ceiling and keep increasing till you have an optimal amount.

I plan to do it on ceiling, like it was done by one AVS member, shared the link in earlier post.. Room is small 14 x 11.. Big panels with few inches airgap will take away some of my little living room space.. Still undecided though..

Any thoughts on thickness (i was thinking of 8 inch) & approx area to be considered?..

I don't think you would need to do that much.

I have 8 4x2 feet 4" + 2" air gapped panels and that's all I need*. I do however run Dirac.

I'd try chunky bass traps on the top corners alone before doing the full ceiling.

ciao
gr

* I used to have the backwall right behind the listening position. There is no option to BBA in that case, so you might need to try that too.

My two cents. The more absorption you setup the more speaker energy is lost so needs more headroom. Also a side effect will be the room will become hotter. So start with a smaller thickness esp. In the ceiling and keep increasing till you have an optimal amount.

No to the first. The speaker has energized the room, the amp has done its work. The BBA is damping some of that released energy

And while the panels do convert that excess energy to heat, I'd don't think that any one or anything would notice. So no to the second.

ciao
gr

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back