DIY - Room Acoustics..

Am now considering few options.. Thinking to use the entire width of front wall (14 ft) from left to right where it meets the ceiling, due to the pre-cut sizes aval.. 1000mm (1 meter) x 500mm (0.5 meter) x 100mm (thickness)..

Option 1 : If i cut the standard size in to two equal halves, then it becomes 500mm (L) x 500mm (W) x 100mm (D) (thickness), alsmot a square dimension.. I can then stack each of these pieces next to each other for the entire 14ft wall..( where it meets the ceiling) effectively making the trap 20 inch x 20 inch square trap, which will have two surfaces open to the room..

Option 2 : If i just choose to use the dimensions as it is 1000mm (1 meter) x 500mm (0.5 meter) x 100mm (thickness).., i would choose to use 500mm as width.. I can stack 5 pieces on to top on one another.. This also makes it 500 mm x 500mm, without the need to cut.. (think this is easier)..

Option 1 & 2 makes it super chunk traps as the thickness is approx 20 inches, effectively making it absorb freq (1/4th wave length) & to reduce decay times too.. (thicker absorption)..

Option 3 : to hang each panels with frame starting near the ceiling across the front, side & back walls.. This makes more absorption area and reduced thickness..

Option 4 : To make 18 inch wooden frame with L bracket support from each wall.. spread close knitted metal mesh, fill with thin layer of polyfill as base layer and stuff as much as loose wool inside it.. (More like a kind of basket to hold the wool)..At this point there is no clarity on the density of loose wool, am guessing it should be <48kg/m3, and should cost less.. After filling, i can cover the whole thing with spandex (Acoustically transparent) cloth (or) Gada cloth, even cheaper cloth fairly translucent (known locally here in TN or damask cloth from bombay dyeing).. Should absorb only the lows..

With all the above options, i have thought to keep the absorption away from speakers path, to absorb only low freq as much as possible in the room..

Which of the above is good (or) if you have any other options.. Please let me know..

Last edited:
Am now considering few options.. Thinking to use the entire width of front wall (14 ft) from left to right where it meets the ceiling, due to the pre-cut sizes aval.. 1000mm (1 meter) x 500mm (0.5 meter) x 100mm (thickness)..

Option 1 : If i cut the standard size in to two equal halves, then it becomes 500mm (L) x 500mm (W) x 100mm (D) (thickness), alsmot a square dimension.. I can then stack each of these pieces next to each other for the entire 14ft wall..( where it meets the ceiling) effectively making the trap 20 inch x 20 inch square trap, which will have two surfaces open to the room..

Option 2 : If i just choose to use the dimensions as it is 1000mm (1 meter) x 500mm (0.5 meter) x 100mm (thickness).., i would choose to use 500mm as width.. I can stack 5 pieces on to top on one another.. This also makes it 500 mm x 500mm, without the need to cut.. (think this is easier)..

Option 1 & 2 makes it super chunk traps as the thickness is approx 20 inches, effectively making it absorb freq (1/4th wave length) & to reduce decay times too.. (thicker absorption)..

Option 3 : to hang each panels with frame starting near the ceiling across the front, side & back walls.. This makes more absorption area and reduced thickness..

Option 4 : To make 18 inch wooden frame with L bracket support from each wall.. spread close knitted metal mesh, fill with thin layer of polyfill as base layer and stuff as much as loose wool inside it.. (More like a kind of basket to hold the wool)..At this point there is no clarity on the density of loose wool, am guessing it should be <48kg/m3, and should cost less.. After filling, i can cover the whole thing with spandex (Acoustically transparent) cloth (or) Gada cloth, even cheaper cloth fairly translucent (known locally here in TN or damask cloth from bombay dyeing).. Should absorb only the lows..

With all the above options, i have thought to keep the absorption away from speakers path, to absorb only low freq as much as possible in the room..

Which of the above is good (or) if you have any other options.. Please let me know..

Read it twice to understand.

What about other corners of the room?
Option 4 is total guess work.. I'm not considering it.
You don't need to worry about the speaker path. Diffusion can be applied at any point later.

2 inches space should be left between the panel and wall for better absorption.
With space left, 4 inches will act as 8 inches.
Treating just one corner doesn't make much sense.
How much are you willing to spend? How much will it cost for everything inclusive per sqft?

Last edited:
I got confused..
I think you should draw and explain.

Ok.. Am no good using these structural drawings.. just can fairly overlay structure with paint brush.. I will try a better visualization with help of my brother..

I have shared the link to an AVS member post - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-d...633-tower-cinema-budget-9-1-6-12x12-room.html

If you scroll to the bottom of the first page, you can see the member erected a wooden frame using ceiling.. Almost similar structure, where walls meet ceiling, am thinking to use L brackets on the walls in the room to support the entire frame.. Hope it is clear now..

Lovely thread you shared, took 30 mins reading the entire thread :)

Check if you can use acoustic foam instead of rockwool, seen mixed reviews of longterm exposure to rockwook, so I think you shouldnt risk it esp. the quantum of rockwool you would be using.

Check if you can use acoustic foam instead of rockwool, seen mixed reviews of longterm exposure to rockwook, so I think you shouldnt risk it esp. the quantum of rockwool you would be using.
Polyester wadding is a good alternative.
Foam of that density will be expensive.
Bass traps can be covered with materials like rexine.
Or else we have to check the effectiveness of Rockwool behind dry wall for bass traps.

That member was brilliant.. He made a great 9.1.6 set-up with multiple AVR's in his 12 x 12 room.. Truly inspiring.. And the bass traps were better placed with good results..

Sure.. Thx.. I will also check them.. But don't think that acoustic foam are good in absorbing bass..

Yes.. I too read abt rockwool.. Was thinking of wrapping the whole bass trap cube with say double layer of spandex.. fiberglass an other alternative too right..

How would polyurethane work?
Appropriate density might work.. but it costs more than Rockwool..
I have tried keeping a 4 or 5 inch thick ( I'm not sure) 4 feet x 2 feet
In my bedroom corner.
It surely made the bass sound better..(can tell this with confidence)
I don't know How deep did it work. Will check with REW . Have to get a good mic to record results.

Mmt acoustix
Had foam based bass traps and foam sheets of 40kg/m3 density.

In this thread there's some data of nrc values of materials.
6 inch Rockwool will be great according to it.
Ringing mainly matters above 100hz which will be handled well by this.

Proper subwoofer placement should be done to remove any dips..
Then
Peaks can be flattened by EQ.

Just thought abt this..

Option 5 : What if a close knitted, reasonably thin, circular mesh with a diameter of 15 inch and stuff loose wool, wrap it in AT cloth and hang it to the length & width of the room where wall/ceiling meet?.. (Assuming it will not be of too much weight)..

Though a circular trap total surface will be less than a square trap, it should have more absorption area exposed as the contact with walls would be very less.. saves carpentry work.. Would this work?..

Guess, Mosquito mesh is very thin, plastic.. Would it work?

Below image as example of mesh thickness -
vibrating-screen-woven-wiremesh-500x500.jpg

Last edited:
Just thought abt this..

Option 5 : What if a close knitted, reasonably thin, circular mesh with a diameter of 15 inch and stuff loose wool, wrap it in AT cloth and hang it to the length & width of the room where wall/ceiling meet?.. (Assuming it will not be of too much weight)..

Though a circular trap total surface will be less than a square trap, it should have more absorption area exposed as the contact with walls would be very less.. saves carpentry work.. Would this work?..

Guess, Mosquito mesh is very thin, plastic.. Would it work?

Below image as example of mesh thickness -
vibrating-screen-woven-wiremesh-500x500.jpg
What's your budget?
That's the most important part of this project.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back