DIY - Room Acoustics..

This is what i have thought of now.. Physically measured the dimension of the wooden structure on the ceiling and realised that if i add absorption high on the wall, it would make it difficult to add absorption to ceiling..

- No sidewall absorption
- No high wall absorption on front wall / rear wall..

nmVUbQi.png

I have a wooden structure on ceiling, and planned to make use of that to hold the absorption..
Md0C6pw.jpg

nUquCag.jpg

On the ceiling, the wooden structure has provision to hold upto 16 inches thickness & a maximum of 30 inches (width) would be the possibility of the absorber from the room boundaries, all around the room.. My room height is 9.7ft..

Once this is complete, if & if only required, will add absorption to walls..

See if the following helps you in ceiling and walls ......

See if the following helps you in ceiling and walls ......

Thanks for the links.. Each absorption material have acoustic properties.. The most important is NRC (Noise reduction co-efficient) and the frequency range that it achieves that NRC..

Both of them are Acoustic foams.. From what i have read, acoustic foams have very less absorption in bass <300Hz (or) no absorption at all.. Something like 10% absorption.. But, they are capable of more absorption above 500hz..

If anyone plans to room treat for bass in the room, these products wouldn't help absorb bass in the room.. Rockwool / Fiberglass have higher absorption rates in lower bass..

Here is an example of acoustic foam properties and the sound absorption capability..
soundgraph.gif

Last edited:
Excellent idea of using the ceiling as a bass trap/absorber.
I think you should give it a listen prior to adding diffusors/absorbers to tackle the highs and mids.

Excellent idea of using the ceiling as a bass trap/absorber.

I was inspired by the one of the AVS forum member who did this on ceiling.. Though i initially made the wooden enclosure to hold subs & heights, the idea of absorption on ceiling was great as it doesn't eat precious wall space in a living room and hence the try..

I think you should give it a listen prior to adding diffusors/absorbers to tackle the highs and mids.

Haven't thought of diffusion in the room.. Will consider / do it progressively, for now the focus is to get decent bass at my listening position..

Haven't thought of diffusion in the room.. Will consider / do it progressively, for now the focus is to get decent bass at my listening position..
[/QUOTE]
With this kind of low frequency treatment, I'm quite certain you will get very clean and articulated bass.
The highs/mids should also sound cleaner.
Once the lows are dealt with, I personally like diffusion/absorption in a 40/60 ratio.
Please do keep posting your ongoing journey :)

With this kind of low frequency treatment, I'm quite certain you will get very clean and articulated bass.The highs/mids should also sound cleaner.

Right.. Me too hoping for the same..

Once the lows are dealt with, I personally like diffusion/absorption in a 40/60 ratio.

Ok great.. I will start to read on diffusion..

Please do keep posting your ongoing journey :)

Sure.. Will share updates progressively..

When I tried setting up the acoustics, one of the advice I got was to fully treat the ceiling with Absorption of about 8 -10 inches of thickness and the expert mentioned that alone would suffice to give you that nice and articulated sound across all frequencies. So yes it should have its benefits. Given we wanted a bare ceiling aesthetic we didn't opt for that and went with just foam based installations. I have now added a simple isolation of about 2-3 inches thick under the Sub and it sounds even better and tighter and it sounds a lot sweeter with Music too. We plan to add a few more panels on the ceiling to better the base response even further.

Goo luck with the acoustics!

Got some materials to begin with process of bass trapping..

Ordered 5 more bags of uncompressed mineral wool.. Each bag is 40Kgs of loose wool (Rs 1,180).. Already had 3 bags with me.. Used the first bag for DIY under-couch absorber, and now 2 remains from that.. Total cost Approx 12K for 8 bags of rockwool + shipping to may place..
qQLaO2q.jpg

Semi rigid multipurpose mesh rolls, mostly used for plants - 4ft (H) x 30 ft (L) for each roll, 4 rolls.. Total Rs 4,000/- To be used as a 1st semi-rigid structure to hold rockwool in place..
9Rq2ZL2.jpg

Stainless mesh which i got earlier, was a little hard to handle after cutting it.. So returned that and got mosquito mesh (plastic), should make life much easier to wrap it around the absorber and hold the loose wool.. Small holes
LtRCqN5.jpg

Mosquito mesh roll - 4ft (H) x 100 ft (L) for a single roll - Rs 2,300/- To be used as a 2nd wrap on the absorber to hold rockwoll in place..
LWO8VNa.jpg

Some plastic tags to tie the semi rigid mesh on the corners to keep it fairly rigid.. Rs 120 per packet..
K77geIa.jpg

Chiffon fabric roll (Black), saree material - 4ft (H) x 33ft (L) per roll of fabric (Rs 850).. Have ordered few more and awaiting it from near by textile store.. material is very thin.. Was able to blow thru air easily and translucent.. Black coloured fabric to wrap and to position on ceiling to cut the reflected light from ceiling back to projector screen.. To be used as a 3rd & final wrap on the absorber which should stop loose fibers..
XR29Q6f.jpg

To test how the materials will shape up, i used the existing frame that i made few weeks back, covered it with mosquito mesh..
7KLEZU4.jpg

and then wrapped it with black chiffon fabric to see if am able to blow air thru it.. Was able to blow air thru it comfortably..
VF0cCNe.jpg

Also got some more packing wood from near by scrap wood dealer, to fill the gaps in the existing structure on ceiling so that it can take the weight of the absorbers evenly which will be placed above them.. Rs 700 /-
pkx1z2Y.jpg

I didn't consider building wooden frame for each absorber as it would increase the weight bearing capacity of wooden structure on ceiling.. Hence semi rigid metal mesh..

Once i get enough fabric roll from textile store, should be able to fill the absorber, wrap it & slide them over the wooden structure on ceiling..

Made some progress with alteration to room and position of subwoofers..

Had a huge opening to kitchen 10 (H) x 3.5 (W), towards the right side of my listening position..
TSltBTU.jpg

Covered it with 18mm plywood partially to reduce the opening to kitchen, and now the opening to kitchen has reduced to 6.5 (H) x 3.5 (W)..
ZSmrIcJ.jpg

The reason to cover this place was i had a sub planned at this place.. So if i reduce the opening, it should gain some more SPL..

Also moved all the 4 subs to ceiling at 1/4th room length & 1/4 width placement..
7RerOkf.jpg

This is the resonance per room mode calculator, and my listening position against the back wall, had length mode peaks..
LZuYvci.png

Though the room mode calculator shows 51hz and 103Hz length modes, per previous measurements, it showed 100hz roughly.. Also having moved moved all the 4 subs to ceiling at 1/4th room length & 1/4 width placement, thought to take advantage of higher crossover (100hz) for all speakers..

I didn't measure the room post placement of subs.. Played some movie content, didn't notice any boominess in the subwoofer range.. So i hope there aren't any strong peaks at any of my listening position..

Also got foams to place it behind my listening position.. My sofa is bang against back wall, no liberty to change position nor could add rockwool there.. So just foams..

Density - 26Kg/m3, thickness - 1 inch..
q3aEpzR.jpg

At my listening position..
AxUSmls.jpg

Was able to complete some small absorbers.. I used uncompressed mineral wool/rockwool..

I had some space behind my listening position (3 seater sofa).. Thought to utilize the unused space and add some abortion there to the extent whatever it can help.. in the form of isoceles triangle..

xhqDfDB.jpg

Width of the absorber is 57 inches, height is approx 20 inches.. Approx 15 kgs of rockwool consumed..
t6YHhO3.jpg

Cable ties to keep the semi-rigid absorber without deforming..
Ns9jtlv.jpg

Wrapped with mosquito mesh
Zb1YApf.jpg

closer look at the abosrber to see how much air can pass thru after adding mosquito mesh
w4U5PsO.jpg

Then finally with acoustic transperant fabric (chiffon - saree material)..
sLKDYZU.jpg

There was some space besides the center and behind the acoustic transparent screen..

So thought to add some absorption there..

Dimension of the absorber 30(H) x 24 (H) x 6 (D) inches..

3SWGECF.jpg

lZ76qzk.jpg

hWBDQ9t.jpg

one more absorber..

Dimension of the absorber 30(H) x 18(H) x 6(D) inches..

zxGOFP0.jpg

aYZXJ4z.jpg

aYZXJ4z.jpg

A pic of absorber besides center channel, behind the acoustic transparent screen..
qWzzBmJ.jpg

Both these absorbers combined, consumed approx 15 kgs of rockwool..

There is a chance of adding upto 4 inch more of thickness on top of this, besides center channel..Will add/revisit this when i re-do & re-position my acoustic transparent screen..

That must have been a good effort bro .. hope you get the desired results after all the calibration and sound absorption.

Thanks.. But haven't done calibration.. I plan to add absorption to ceiling/high wall corners.. I did the absorption for center speaker as i had some space besides it.. Easy to place absorption when there is enough wall support..

Adding absorption besides the center, made a noticeable improvement.. I liked it more when the absorbers were slightly ahead of center channel..

Will re-position the center channel later to add some more absorption behind the speaker.. This should help clean the reflections of backwall (to an extent) and the reflections of high freq from AT screen as the center channel is in midst of rear wall of AT screen..

Was able to make some enclosures (semi-rigid structure) to hold absorption on highwalls / ceiling corners..

cnThUwZ.jpg

Above image is how much space i have in midst of wooden structure on ceiling/high wall corners on all sides of the room.. 16 inch thickness from the ceiling and 30 inches deep from all the walls.. Hoping this would be aesthetically fine as it is a living room..

Made some enclosures to match the aval space in midst of the wooden structure..

ohQN1iX.jpg

X1zUAhv.jpg

This should cover most of the frontwall/ceiling & rear wall/ceiling corners..

Will need to do few more traps which can cover high on side wall/ceiling corners.. Once done, should be able to fill all the traps with absorption material and wrap it with fabric and slide them in midst of wooden structure..

Also awaiting for the fabric roll from nearby textile store..

Was able to complete few more enclosures for the bass traps..

NHuzQVh.jpg

With this, have now abt a dozen traps ready to be filled with absorption material, which should cover most of the highwalls / ceiling corners.. Have fabric which can cover only 6 traps.. Need to get fabric which can cover 6 more traps.. Once i the get the fabric to cover the remaining traps, will then fill them and slide all of them to ceiling..

Appreciate the DIY in you and the tenacity and perseverance it takes to get things done. Good luck, hope you achieve what you set out for subjectively. Cheers

DIY Custom-Printed Movie Poster Acoustic Panels - cheap!

Came across this thread of diy acoustic panels and these look great. This probably might be the only acceptable acoustic treatment for my bedroom.
Has anyone tried this or may be knows where to get good fabric printing?
Also there's a youtube video for the same :

I did two such panels - One with a print on canvas for the TDK poster and the second using a poster for Jurassic World. The canvas looks much better but is a more expensive option. The Poster looks good but not in comparison with canvas.

To look at very high resolution images There is a thread in blu-ray.com, on textless posters which IMO look classier.

The poster got it from vistaprint for Rs. 270.

The canvas print was from pics.in and got a rolled canvas print for Rs. 3000 for a 3'*2'.

End result was something like this.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back