DIY Screen help needed.

fundu

Hey guys,

I just got my micro projector (AAXA M2). I'm currently projecting it on my wall. Any help on DIY screen. Anything that is better than projecting on a wall will do.

Hi,

Hope you did some search in the forum; there are some very good discussions on the DIY screen topic.

BTW: I would suggest go for a white/off white/light gray laminate (mica sheet as the carpenters call it) hang it or paste it on the wall.

Cheers!

Laminate is a good DIY option. No wrinkles, no waves, no flutter. And it can be cleaned.

Just going out of topic. How is this projector? can you able to watch at day time when little bit light is coming or complete dark required?

Can anyone mention exact type of Laminate which the shop keeper can understand correctly.

If I am correct, it should be a non-shiny and little greyish for better colour re-production

Can anyone mention exact type of Laminate which the shop keeper can understand correctly.

If I am correct, it should be a non-shiny and little greyish for better colour re-production

AFAIK, Greyish would be for better black levels (not colors). But you sacrifice gain with greyish screen.
Definitely non-shiny to limit hotspots.

From advice on avsforum, I painted my bedroom which doubles as a home theater room with Dulux Snowfield Low Sheen (which any local paint-wallah who stocks it will mix for you from the Dulux shade chart). This is a shade of grey that apparently absorbs and reflects the primary colors evenly (as I understand it) thus offering accurate color reproduction. After a basic calibration of my projector (an Epson Home Theater 1080) HD content is very impressive on the 13' wide wall that doubles as a screen. The disadvantage is that the wall is not 100 percent flat so a little blurriness in certain areas exists even after proper sharpness calibration. But the fact that I can get a picture of that size without spending a bomb on a screen more than makes up for it plus. Plus the color is very pleasing to the eye, so much so that I've decided to paint he rest of my home with the same.

From advice on avsforum, I painted my bedroom which doubles as a home theater room with Dulux Snowfield Low Sheen (which any local paint-wallah who stocks it will mix for you from the Dulux shade chart). This is a shade of grey that apparently absorbs and reflects the primary colors evenly (as I understand it) thus offering accurate color reproduction. After a basic calibration of my projector (an Epson Home Theater 1080) HD content is very impressive on the 13' wide wall that doubles as a screen. The disadvantage is that the wall is not 100 percent flat so a little blurriness in certain areas exists even after proper sharpness calibration. But the fact that I can get a picture of that size without spending a bomb on a screen more than makes up for it plus. Plus the color is very pleasing to the eye, so much so that I've decided to paint he rest of my home with the same.

Congratulations on your success with DIY! For walls the usual advice given is to sand the walls to make it flat and smooth before applying paint. Did you try to that? It didn't help?

Congratulations on your success with DIY! For walls the usual advice given is to sand the walls to make it flat and smooth before applying paint. Did you try to that? It didn't help?

I had the projection wall prepped by painters who puttied, sanded and flattened it (they work at night under flourescent lighting to find imperfections and cover them up). Unfortunately, the wall itself was slightly bent at the edge when it was built and plastered and that could not be rectified. So when I project, say, a page of repeating characters on the whole screen I can see that the characters at the edge are slightly blurred while the rest are razor sharp. A little tweaking of the focus sharpened it (at the expense of the rest of the projected area) but the picture is still very impressive.

I actually had a 100" frame built in matt black and used blackout cloth, much like a picture frame + canvas combo.

I found that even with the high lumen output of the Epson Powerlite series i would struggle with even low levels of ambient light. The image was not bright enough. In the dark these projectors are stars, unfortunately a decent amount of viewing is also done during daylight hours.

Any suggestions on a different screen material I could use with my existing frame. (Exactly like a really large painting frame?)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back