DIY Sealed Subwoofer

Can i be a teetotaller and still execute this project? Is there a viable substitute (rather, can there be) for old monk?
NO ! pick something else 😂.

Unless you want to make a very bland subwoofer 😉

Can i be a teetotaller and still execute this project? Is there a viable substitute (rather, can there be) for old monk?
Absolutely not! To achieve the same level of incompetence one has to build with his beverage of choice.

Here's a pro tip to build a great subwoofer, make sure you cover your drink while sanding.

Also, what's on the menu for amplification in the long run?
Crown! I'll have to procure one.

Here is the anechoic response of the Sub at the moment (along with impedance plots)
subwoofer_response_v2.jpg

Compared to the previous measurements, the wiggles around 80Hz seems to be much benign.. This time the measurement was taken at a different location of the sub.

Tried to do a room mode identification simulation. Here is the result
room_response.jpg
So there does deem to be a room mode caused by the room height dimension exactly around the 80Hz region.

The impedance plot, even much more zoomed in doesn't indicate any 80Hz issues with the sub. So it seems like even the nearfield measurement is picking up the room mode contribution and thr sub is fine as such. The wiggles in impedance and frequency response around 260 Hz are anyway expected due to the box modes in thr sub contributed by the width and length dimensions of the sub being the same. Another contributer to that wiggle is probably the Surround resonance of the driver itself. But all that being outside thr passband of usage of this sub may not matter much anyway.. :)

Polyfill stuffing to experiment. I kept stuffing in half a kilo increments and measuring until I achieved a smoother response. I ended up stuffing 3 kilos. @Vineethkumar01 will share the plot later. The sub appears to be sounding a tad softer than without the stuffing. I'm undecided if I like the sound with or without the stuffing. It's going to be a lengthy session of munching peanuts.

I have gated the polyfill at the driver niche with a mosquito net. This serves two purposes:
1) To keep the mosquitoes from getting into the stuffing, or, keep the mosquitoes already in the polyfill from escaping!
2) To keep the stuffing safely away from the driver.

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-03 at 4.10.33 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-10-03 at 4.10.33 PM(1).jpeg

Here is the frequency response and impedance measurement comparison before and after stuffing with 3kg polyfill
subwoofer_response_v4.jpg

Important observations:
1) Lowering of tuning frequency: New impedance plot with stuffing shows that the current box tuning frequency is around 37Hz instead of around 41Hz earlier without stuffing. As a result the frequency response also slopes down more gradually now.

2) Supression of the 260 Hz box mode: Stuffing has sort of eliminated the box modes around 260 Hz which were there earlier.

3) Reduction in driver efficiency around tuning frequency: The impedance peak has become a low Q resonance instead of the higher Q peak without stuffing. Now more power will be needed to reach the same volume levels as before.

With a high order crossover (4th order) low pass filter around 80Hz, the 260Hz resonance may not be a problem though. And how it will all sound like will depend on the room and the location of the sub in it. The advantage of present box tuning is that one may be able to use the sub up to higher frequencies.
Ultimately it is up to one's personal preference which tuning will sound better.. :D So take time, evaluate and decide... :)

It is the SB acoustics Sb42fhcl75-6 15inch driver

I think for the price a much better driver could be had...

It is a consumer driver and the xmax is low, there is no point. Should have bought a equivalent price 21" pro driver. Just my opinion of course.

Enjoy the sub.

I think for the price a much better driver could be had...

It is a consumer driver and the xmax is low, there is no point. Should have bought a equivalent price 21" pro driver. Just my opinion of course.

Enjoy the sub.
If it was me, i would have bought atleast an 18inch pro driver of suitable specifications and used it in the smallest possible box for the application and tuned it via DSP.
But for the OP, this is a first speaker/sub build. He wanted the least complexity of build and usage with low to modest SPL levels and the constraint of only using a 15inch driver. I think even though this driver is not the best available, it is a decent enough one that may suit his requirements. Hence this build.. :) Also the DIY journey has only started for him an I believe he has put his best efforts in this one..

Who knows, may be he will build a few 21inch subs in future.. :D

If it was me, i would have bought atleast an 18inch pro driver of suitable specifications and used it in the smallest possible box for the application and tuned it via DSP.
But for the OP, this is a first speaker/sub build. He wanted the least complexity of build and usage with low to modest SPL levels and the constraint of only using a 15inch driver. I think even though this driver is not the best available, it is a decent enough one that may suit his requirements. Hence this build.. :) Also the DIY journey has only started for him an I believe he has put his best efforts in this one..

Building a sealed box is much the same, 15 or 21. The DSP can be omitted, yes a pro driver would have a higher FS but the measurements don't show a lot of extension. Paying around 40,000 for this driver seems very excessive to me, all I am saying is for the money a better driver could be had. Using it in too small a box brings its own problems, I think like with most things some middle ground is good unless space is at a premium. If I read the spec sheet correctly the xmax is about 11mm, that's just a touch more than the ubiquitous 2226H which is a woofer, not a sub. If SPL was not a concern I do wonder if some off the shelf woofer would have sufficed, if the point was a DIY build then for a first try its good. All the best.

Build complete!
View attachment 72280
View attachment 72281
Plywood cross-section for the face. 10mm width strips cut and pasted.
View attachment 72282
Copper anodised hex screws!
View attachment 72283
Faux leather wrap.
View attachment 72284
View attachment 72285
View attachment 72286
That is one awesome and beautiful looking build :)

Hearty congratulations, very well done :)
Clean bass? yes, please!
I initially wanted the sub right next to my chair so that I could use it as a table. It turned out to not be the most ideal location for it. I slid a matt underneath and pushed it around to different locations in the room and has now found its final resting place and it sounds sublime!

This driver can reproduce bass line textures as precisely and articulately as possible without being lost in the mix of other lower frequencies. The bass drum kick is realistic and pronounced with the correct amount of weight and minimal decay. I'm not much of a bass-head, but I can appreciate how a good bass rendition may elevate the listening experience. The crossover began at 200hz and has now settled at 85hz.

This driver's LF reproduction is not intrusive or overbearing in any way; rather, it gently fills the room and pressurises it when necessary so that you can "feel" the bass. My typical listening volumes do not exceed 70-75db, and yet, the bass is renditioned beautifully.
I have two 12" Rythmiks, and I thought they were excellent at what they did before I heard what a single 15" driver could deliver!
Beginnings.
I was on a hunt for a subwoofer that would complement my bookshelves in the smaller room. Going by the prevailing prices of branded subwoofers, I reckoned I could have one built for a lesser price and perhaps of better quality.

Going into this project my brief was simple; i.e. good quality bass in a sealed box with a 15" driver. I didn't care for high SPL. I wanted someone to take up this project for me, as I have never built a speaker box before.
When there were no takers, I decided to go forth and cut the wood myself. All I had for this build was a marble cutter, an angle grinder and a drill machine.
But I never would have ventured into this build blind. The enthusiasm and attention of @Vineethkumar01 were enough to spur me on to forge ahead. I genuinely appreciate and thank him for his ongoing advice. Thanks to my local audio enthusiast and buddy @ssf for loaning me his Crown XLS to power the sub. @keith_correa , and everyone else who contributed.

The build has gotten my juices flowing. Not simply because it was satisfying and successful, but also because I have a renewed appreciation for DIY audio. Terrific value is on offer in building tried and tested speaker designs, and at a reasonable price; Kairos by Jeff Bagby, perhaps? I know that @Prodigy owns these, and I hope I have an opportunity to listen to these next.

Here's the cost breakup for the keen.

Driver: 37,500
Plywood: 3,000
Old Monk: 110
Masala peanuts: 15
Gum & Screws: 300
Sound deadening coating (whatever): 599
Green Peas: 10
Faux Leather: 600
Binding Posts: 1331 (inclusive of Rs 150 as shipping fees)
Hex Screws: 240 (inclusive of Rs 130 as shipping fees)
Pickle: 5

I hope I did not overspend on the peanuts!
As an old git, let me point out for the benefit of younger DIY subwoofers builders, that it is absolutely necessary to get a combination of certain things really right to succeed at a sub woofer build.

Old monk should always be had with thumsup or coke, followed by a biryani.

Last edited by a moderator:
What driver, and internal volume, approximately? I could keep this info handy, just in case 😉
The desire is strong to replace my two Rythmik 12" subs after what I have witnessed with this build. I tried one of the Rythmiks in the current room, and the 15" sub trumps it.

I love the sub we built, It not only fits my requirement perfectly but has exceeded my expectation, so the mission is more than accomplished! thanks to you!

Here's how the sub measures at the MLP, with a little help from ARC to tame the peaks.
SB.png
The sub has nicely settled in. The magical crossover point was found to be at 85hz.
If I were to describe the sound in one word, it would be PLUSH! It's soft room-filling bass, that's not overbearing nor offensive. The punch is just right. Soft sound is not to be confused with slow or flabby. The bass is tight, and fast and has a texture that is just "different", in a good way.

My listening levels usually don't cross 70db, but I have been enjoying this sub so much that I constantly find myself cranking the volume away, and it's still that same room-filling bass that thumps your chest gently, and in no way offensive even with the loudness. I'm amazed at how well it blends with the small bookshelves, and remain consistent at all volume levels.

Movie watching in my stereo setup has now taken a theatre-like feel. The whoosh of the arrows, the slam of the doors, the swish swashing of swords, and the thunderous footsteps of giants, are now an immersive experience. Dynamic visual scenes are not just eye candy anymore, they're properly felt and experienced.

Here's where they lay. The Lumina's mid-woofer is 4.5", for comparison.
IMG_2317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can relate, when I introduced a basic Rythmik to my small Spendor set-up, the whole experience went up a notch. There was an acrimonious discussion on whether high level or low level connections were the best yada yada (some guru quit the forum in a huff based on my responses etc.) and what is audiophile and what is not, but nevertheless I have been enjoying the system tremendously since, and I wish you the same listening pleasure.
Cheers,
Sid

I can relate, when I introduced a basic Rythmik to my small Spendor set-up, the whole experience went up a notch. There was an acrimonious discussion on whether high level or low level connections were the best yada yada (some guru quit the forum in a huff based on my responses etc.) and what is audiophile and what is not, but nevertheless I have been enjoying the system tremendously since, and I wish you the same listening pleasure.
Cheers,
Sid
There are a few 'High' level connections to this beautiful build too.

The sub has nicely settled in. The magical crossover point was found to be at 85hz.
If I were to describe the sound in one word, it would be PLUSH! It's soft room-filling bass, that's not overbearing nor offensive. The punch is just right. Soft sound is not to be confused with slow or flabby. The bass is tight, and fast and has a texture that is just "different", in a good way.

My listening levels usually don't cross 70db, but I have been enjoying this sub so much that I constantly find myself cranking the volume away, and it's still that same room-filling bass that thumps your chest gently, and in no way offensive even with the loudness. I'm amazed at how well it blends with the small bookshelves, and remain consistent at all volume levels.

Movie watching in my stereo setup has now taken a theatre-like feel. The whoosh of the arrows, the slam of the doors, the swish swashing of swords, and the thunderous footsteps of giants, are now an immersive experience. Dynamic visual scenes are not just eye candy anymore, they're properly felt and experienced.

Here's where they lay. The Lumina's mid-woofer is 4.5", for comparison.

View attachment 72523
My kind of bass.

And just to verify that the sub is in time with your bookshelves, listen to the track Beyond the Sea by Robbie Williams live at Albert Hall with a superb big band. Not the studio recorded album. I am talking about the live concert.
You should hear the rhythm and percussion sections playing perfectly in time at the start of the song.

Sooooo many speakers costing lacs and double figure lacs fail this simple simple test. And surprisingly most 3+ way speakers i have heard fail miserably. One kind of gritts and bears it for a few minutes and one then switches tracks or walks away knowing I will never ever put money on the product.

Try it out if you can.

Manek

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back