diy sound bar with 4" FR drivers

Naveenbnc

Hello all....

Im going to build a sound bar for my 55" TV in hall.
I will use four full range drivers of 4" size. Two drivers towards the left, and two drivers towards the right.
Driver specs are given below.
http://www.iwaispeakers.com/Fullrange/4_8E_25W/

I have the following questions:
1. Is the below amp suitable for driving all 4 drivers in the sound bar ?
https://www.amazon.in/Absolute-Native-Electronics-TPA3116D2-Subwoofer/dp/B01MTM2O5C

2. Should I join the speakers in series or parallel?

Im just doing it for fun without any great expectations.
Just want to make sure something is not seriously wrong in my selection (mismatch)
Any suggestions will be of great help !!!!
I already have the drivers. Any suggestion on a better amp will help a lot too.
(i will just hide the amp behind the tv. So enclosure etc are not needed)

Thanks a lot in advance ....
Naveen

Last edited:
Since they are 8R speakers, 2 speakers in parallel for each channel (=4R) should be fine. Just make sure you have enough juice in your power supply. BTW, you don't need a 2.1 amp, a stereo amp should be fine.

Since they are 8R speakers, 2 speakers in parallel for each channel (=4R) should be fine. Just make sure you have enough juice in your power supply. BTW, you don't need a 2.1 amp, a stereo amp should be fine.
Thank you very much !!!
Its not expensive...so I'm just thinking 2.1 will be future proof...just in case I add a small sub in future. Anyway...this is only for casual tv watching.

Since they are 8R speakers, 2 speakers in parallel for each channel (=4R) should be fine.

This is a general rule but not always true. Once you design the enclosure please make a note of the Impedance curve across the pass band (simulated one should be fine), in some cases the impedance can go below 4 ohm, this could create problems for the amplifier.

Just my .0001 cents :)

Venki

This is a general rule but not always true. Once you design the enclosure please make a note of the Impedance curve across the pass band (simulated one should be fine), in some cases the impedance can go below 4 ohm, this could create problems for the amplifier.

Just my .0001 cents :)

Venki
In theory, true. But
The amp specs specify 4 or 8 ohms.
But everyone, including the amp designers, would be well aware that 4 or 8 ohm is a nominal impedance and that it varies up or down.
I would therefore fully expect any amp claiming to support nominal 4ohm speakers to also be able to support the reality of varying speaker impedances.

Also, themax power quoted for most of these is at 10%thd, which is unlistenable. So in reality, normal use is unlikely to exceed a watt or so, if that, in a TV sound bar application.
The amp linked by the OP also has a good size heatsink (by class d standards), so I don't think it should really be a problem.

@venki7744 @surfatwork thank you very much for all the inputs :)
the amp I secected is not so expensive, and i dont know how the build quality is ....
in any worst case, its ok if the amp blows out ..... but my tv should be safe :D:D
may be il keep the amp away from tv.

your inputs on impedance are very helpful.... il give a try ...

In theory, true. But
The amp specs specify 4 or 8 ohms.
But everyone, including the amp designers, would be well aware that 4 or 8 ohm is a nominal impedance and that it varies up or down.
I would therefore fully expect any amp claiming to support nominal 4ohm speakers to also be able to support the reality of varying speaker impedances.

Also, themax power quoted for most of these is at 10%thd, which is unlistenable. So in reality, normal use is unlikely to exceed a watt or so, if that, in a TV sound bar application.
The amp linked by the OP also has a good size heatsink (by class d standards), so I don't think it should really be a problem.

I am not talking about the increased power consumption here. If the impedance goes below the min recommended value (per datasheet of the amp) the amp might become unstable.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back