DIY Speaker Build - Speaker Impedance Question

nikhilkhan

Hello guys, after lurking around for info on the forum for a while, I am finally getting my feet wet in home audio! Thing is, I wanted to build my own 5.1 system for a receiver which can run 4 ohm satellites. My rear two channels have a mid and a tweeter. The front two channels and the center channel have two mids and a tweeter each.

So I am planning on using an 8 ohm woofer with a 8 ohm tweeter for the rear speakers for a combined resistance of 4 ohm.

My question is for the front and center channels with the two mid speakers and the tweeter. I am not sure what speaker combination/resistance to use to get the combined resistance to 4 ohm.

Also, unrelated question, do you guys have any recommendations on tweeters with a built in bass frequency blocker (or maybe using a 4ohm inline bass blocker instead would help to get the resistance down to 4 ohm) ?

Thank you for your help !! :D:D

just because it can run 4 ohms, doesnt mean you have to run 4 ohms. 4 ohms is a much heavier load than 8 ohms. if an amp can handle 4 ohms, it can handle 6 and 8 ohms loads also.

8 ohm woofer and 8 ohm tweeter still make for a 8 ohm load, not 4 ohm load. they are not wired in series.

inbuilt bass frequency blocker?? thats what your crossover is supposed to do. there will be a cap there in the xo which will block low frequency content to the tweeter.

Yeah, I'm aware that it can run 6 or 8 ohm as well, I was trying to get all my 5 satellite speakers around 4-8 ohm. I am going to be using these on a pioneer elite receiver. I was under the impression that AV recievers don't have crossovers built in, just the channels for each individual satellite speaker.

From the info I have gathered, it seems as though how I should go about it is to wire in a bass blocker to the tweeter and have the regular frequencies pass through the mid. Please let me know if I am mistaken, thanks a lot

Yeah, I am aware that my receiver can handle 6 ohm and 8 ohm satellites as well. I was trying to get them anywhere from 4 - 8 ohms.

But yeah, the satellites are wired in parallel with a low frequency blocker capacitor inline for the tweeter.

So after going through a couple quick calculations and wiring diagrams, I figured out for the rear speaker I will be able to use a 6 ohm woofer
in parallel with a bass blocker cap and 8 ohm tweeter. This will give me a combined impedance of 4 ohm for the rear speakers.

I'm still trying to figure out what will be compatible for my front two speakers and the center channel. I can also always leave it alone as the speakers that are installed are combined 8 ohm (hope I will be able to upgrade everything though).

Will let you know how it goes !

Rear - 4" 8 ohm in parallel with two 6 ohm tweeters in series for a combined impedance of 4.8 ohms

Center/Front - 2 x 4" 16 ohm in parallel with two 6 ohm tweeters in series for a combined impedance of 4.8 ohms as well.

Do you think that this is a good configuration for equal sound reproduction. I'm worried that too much power might be going to the tweeters in the front/center channel. Any feedback ?

20160712_201003_zps23yuz56e.jpg.html

1. Why do you need 4 ohm impedance ??
2. Which receiver are you using, model ??
3. Please read post # 2 at least 4 times and understand.

You can build great DIY speakers for your 5.1 setup, but please understand passive crossovers and speaker designing science first.

Regards,
Aniket

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back