DIY Speaker Build - Speaker Impedance Question

nikhilkhan

Hello guys, after lurking around for info on the forum for a while, I am finally getting my feet wet in home audio! Thing is, I wanted to build my own 5.1 system for a receiver which can run 4 ohm satellites. My rear two channels have a mid and a tweeter. The front two channels and the center channel have two mids and a tweeter each.

So I am planning on using an 8 ohm woofer with a 8 ohm tweeter for the rear speakers for a combined resistance of 4 ohm.

My question is for the front and center channels with the two mid speakers and the tweeter. I am not sure what speaker combination/resistance to use to get the combined resistance to 4 ohm.

Also, unrelated question, do you guys have any recommendations on tweeters with a built in bass frequency blocker (or maybe using a 4ohm inline bass blocker instead would help to get the resistance down to 4 ohm) ?

Thank you for your help !! :D:D

just because it can run 4 ohms, doesnt mean you have to run 4 ohms. 4 ohms is a much heavier load than 8 ohms. if an amp can handle 4 ohms, it can handle 6 and 8 ohms loads also.

8 ohm woofer and 8 ohm tweeter still make for a 8 ohm load, not 4 ohm load. they are not wired in series.

inbuilt bass frequency blocker?? thats what your crossover is supposed to do. there will be a cap there in the xo which will block low frequency content to the tweeter.

Yeah, I'm aware that it can run 6 or 8 ohm as well, I was trying to get all my 5 satellite speakers around 4-8 ohm. I am going to be using these on a pioneer elite receiver. I was under the impression that AV recievers don't have crossovers built in, just the channels for each individual satellite speaker.

From the info I have gathered, it seems as though how I should go about it is to wire in a bass blocker to the tweeter and have the regular frequencies pass through the mid. Please let me know if I am mistaken, thanks a lot

Yeah, I am aware that my receiver can handle 6 ohm and 8 ohm satellites as well. I was trying to get them anywhere from 4 - 8 ohms.

But yeah, the satellites are wired in parallel with a low frequency blocker capacitor inline for the tweeter.

So after going through a couple quick calculations and wiring diagrams, I figured out for the rear speaker I will be able to use a 6 ohm woofer
in parallel with a bass blocker cap and 8 ohm tweeter. This will give me a combined impedance of 4 ohm for the rear speakers.

I'm still trying to figure out what will be compatible for my front two speakers and the center channel. I can also always leave it alone as the speakers that are installed are combined 8 ohm (hope I will be able to upgrade everything though).

Will let you know how it goes !

Rear - 4" 8 ohm in parallel with two 6 ohm tweeters in series for a combined impedance of 4.8 ohms

Center/Front - 2 x 4" 16 ohm in parallel with two 6 ohm tweeters in series for a combined impedance of 4.8 ohms as well.

Do you think that this is a good configuration for equal sound reproduction. I'm worried that too much power might be going to the tweeters in the front/center channel. Any feedback ?

20160712_201003_zps23yuz56e.jpg.html

1. Why do you need 4 ohm impedance ??
2. Which receiver are you using, model ??
3. Please read post # 2 at least 4 times and understand.

You can build great DIY speakers for your 5.1 setup, but please understand passive crossovers and speaker designing science first.

Regards,
Aniket

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back