DIY speaker cable

keith_correa

OK Guys, here's what I did this weekend:

I have a JVC CDP+Amp mini compo. that is in my bedroom and the bass on that was always bloated and flabby. The speaker cables on that was a DIY "white Lightning".

A friend of mine had sent me a cable recipe to try. I tried it and now the bloat is much reduced, there is better separation - basically the sound has stepped up from what it used to be.

The way I did an A/B test was to first just wire this new cable to the left speaker and let the "White Lightning" remain for the right speaker. I could hear the left speaker sounding distinctly better than the right speaker.

I built this with what I had on hand - CAT5. Check out the horrid attached depiction. I'm sure just by looking at the image no one will be able to make out head nor tail of what I did, so, here's the recipe.

For 1 speaker:
  1. Say the length of wire that you need to connect your amp to speaker is X
  2. Y = 5 multipied by X
  3. Cut a length of CAT5 equal to Y
  4. Strip away the sheath from around the 4 twisted pairs
  5. Separate 1 twisted pair from the other 3 twisted pairs.
  6. Cut this twisted pair to length = X. This pair is shown as the blue and black wires in the attached image.
  7. From the other 3 pairs, separate 1 strand.
  8. Helically wind this strand tightly and closely over a rod/pen/whatever - I used a Reynolds pen. Do this for the entire length of strand Y. Remove pen.
  9. Now insert twisted pair X inside Y - make sure that the winding of Y is opposite the twist direction of X.
  10. At each end connect Y to one strand of twisted pair X. This is +ve.
  11. Connect between amp & speaker.
  12. Do the same for the other speaker too.
  13. Power on and check if sound changes for the better [worse?].

Please do not ask me how this works - I have no explanation.
Please do not flame me if it does not work or degrades the sound if/when you try this out.

The length of X between my speakers and amp is 2 feet so maybe this works for shorter lengths and not for long lengths. Maybe it works for crappy gear like mine and not for awediophile gear.

Please do post the results you get. I'd be interested in knowing what it does in your configuration.

Attachments

• horridImage.jpg
    horridImage.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Similar to ANTI cables (mainly for ICs). Try with transformer winding cable and later go for a good quality copper or buy directly from Anti cables (10$ per foot)

Last edited:
Thinking loudly - (that I normally do most of the time)

Is this is an "Stealth" "Inductor" in an "invisible" "Crossover"!

And I was assuming this braided and plaited twisted wire was good.

Attachments

• braided.jpg
    braided.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 134
i did Litz braid for ICs but it was boring I had to de tangle the open cables , some how managed to do for 1.5m each cable.

How you will do the braid for 3-4 meter cables, i wanna know the trick ?

sbg & kaushik - my responses to you folks was because the image that sbg attached didn't show up on my screen the 1st time so I assumed that you folks were asking me questions. I now realize [think?] that you were referring to sbg's attached image.

sbg & kaushik - my responses to you folks was because the image that sbg attached didn't show up on my screen the 1st time so I assumed that you folks were asking me questions. I now realize [think?] that you were referring to sbg's attached image.

keith .. :) , time to buy a good tablet or laptop , that china slate will not do!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back