DIY Surround Atmos build

Subbiya

Hi Friends,
Just completed my surround stands and interested in doing surrounds Atmos speakers at low budget.
Please help me to find speaker drivers for surround Atmos.

Have these below drivers in mind,

Please post Your suggestions. Thankyou

Hi Friends,
Just completed my surround stands and interested in doing surrounds Atmos speakers at low budget.
Please help me to find speaker drivers for surround Atmos.

Have these below drivers in mind,

Please post Your suggestions. Thankyou
Hi @Subbiya

As already pointed out by @hifimaddy it will be better to have a driver of atleast 8 inches. While the above Dayton driver will be of good quality, its bass output will be very limited. So here's my wild idea, buy one peice of the below ahuja 8 inch driver. It states as dual driver, which I think means concentric. Now mount the dayton and the ahuja drivers as closely as possible on a wooden baffle. Now disconnect the wiring of the ahuja's center driver and solder that to the dayton driver. Connect the amp to the ahuja driver and try it out now. The Ahuja should pump the bass from its 8 inch driver and mid range / treble should come from the dayton driver. I think this will make it a 3 way speaker. Now you just have to figure out a way to mount in the false ceiling if you have one :)

In this configuration the mid range and treble quality where the ear is more sensitive will be good, bass doesnt matter as the ear is not very particular here, as long as it goes boom. And you dont have to worry about rigging a crossover too. This is just an idea, though if the sensitivities of both speakers are different, then you might have to solder an additional resistor between the ahuja and the dayton at best.

Hi @Subbiya

As already pointed out by @hifimaddy it will be better to have a driver of atleast 8 inches. While the above Dayton driver will be of good quality, its bass output will be very limited. So here's my wild idea, buy one peice of the below ahuja 8 inch driver. It states as dual driver, which I think means concentric. Now mount the dayton and the ahuja drivers as closely as possible on a wooden baffle. Now disconnect the wiring of the ahuja's center driver and solder that to the dayton driver. Connect the amp to the ahuja driver and try it out now. The Ahuja should pump the bass from its 8 inch driver and mid range / treble should come from the dayton driver. I think this will make it a 3 way speaker. Now you just have to figure out a way to mount in the false ceiling if you have one :)

In this configuration the mid range and treble quality where the ear is more sensitive will be good, bass doesnt matter as the ear is not very particular here, as long as it goes boom. And you dont have to worry about rigging a crossover too. This is just an idea, though if the sensitivities of both speakers are different, then you might have to solder an additional resistor between the ahuja and the dayton at best.
I too intended to recommend in ceiling speakers. Given that atmos speakers are used less than 25%, I went for in ceiling speakers to avoid costs and time in building crossover.

Additionally, some in -ceiling speakers have tweeter which can angled to listening position which make a difference when one is unable to mount the speakers in optimal position.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back