• 04.wav

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • All are same sounding

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Hard to tell due to minute difference in SQ

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will attempt to do that when I get around to it and may post here BUT that will skew perceptions further. Do you really want that?
I thought about it. It may bias the result.

Anyone can PM me their observation regarding which file(s) is/are errornious. I will release the data in some acceptable format after the poll ends

So pardon my ignorance, but then what is there to prove?
Since, audio files are for listening purpose only, the goal is to verify whether there is any noticable & perceptable sonic difference or not in copied CD that we (the term we denotes members of hfv comunity) can actually "hear" in an unbiased situation, in spite of possibilities of many errors in this process.

Okay..
Somehow for me I would like rips or copies to have zero errors and if they do have errors I would not bother if they sound similar or not because I accept I have to live with it whatever the case.

It's not for audio CDs but even for any data disk I would need to make a copy of.
I would ensure it shows zero errors while making a copy and it it does I know it's not 100 percent reliable.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't need the logs now that I know that the rips had errors - that explains the differences when I compared the files - which is all I was curious about.
As far as I understood there is only one rip and rest are it’s copies. If we hear no degradation in copies vs the rip(with errors) that’s enough to say ‘copying doesn’t degrade the sound’ or otherwise.

But it would be nice to see the logs of all copies to see objectively if anything is lost while copying.

As far as I understood there is only one rip and rest are it’s copies. If we hear no degradation in copies vs the rip(with errors) that’s enough to say ‘copying doesn’t degrade the sound’ or otherwise.

But it would be nice to see the logs of all copies to see objectively if anything is lost while copying.
The 1st post clearly states that multiple copies were made of the "mother" CD and from each of these copied CD's and the "mother" CD rips were done.

The 1st post clearly states that multiple copies were made of the "mother" CD and from each of these copied CD's and the "mother" CD rips were done.
Sorry, then your comment is really valid. It’s my mistake. Then There is no surprise if the file sounds different. It’s then more of a problem with the copying process used than the idea of copying degrades ;)

Then There is no surprise if the file sounds different. It’s then more of a problem with the copying process used than the idea of copying degrades ;)
Thats what is the goal of study. Due to some reason these copies are different to each other. And some files experienced read error during ripping. I intentionally spoke about these earlier. These error and related file differences should bring a sonic difference technically. But the question is, can we "hear" that difference? The thread is all about this simple question.

Thats what is the goal of study. Due to some reason these copies are different to each other. And some files experienced read error during ripping. I intentionally spoke about these earlier. These error and related file differences should bring a sonic difference technically. But the question is, can we "hear" that difference? The thread is all about this simple question.

I guess it will be a standard test, if everyone has the same chain of devices which can resolve the differences. Another variable is how trained are the listeners. But still worth exploring.

Last edited:
I am not technically very sound when it comes to music and don't consider myself an audiophile. Hence, I have given my vote from the perspective of an average listener. These small experiments surely change perceptions!

P.S. - I didn't pay attention to this song in particular till date - it's a beautiful song. Today I have listened to it several times over courtesy work from home!

Although I believe the noble intent should be let people be aware of their prejudices and perhaps they should change their preference ... ?
I can only prove some statement through this test. Obviously anyone can change his/her habit accordingly. I know many people who are very strict about using original disks due to their sonic nature and don't ever let to enter any copied disk to their system. My intention is to state some unbiased facts. But self-modification is a very personal matter with which I don't want to deal with.

I guess it will be a standard test, if everyone has the same chain of devices which can resolve the differences. Another variable is how trained are the listeners. But still worth exploring.
You have beautifully quoted two vital points. Another point I want to add. Not everyone's' auditory perception is the same. That's a fun side of this test. These parameters cannot be controlled. Hence, the test result might depict a real-world scenario.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back