• 04.wav

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • All are same sounding

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Hard to tell due to minute difference in SQ

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was surprised to see delay among the time-domain wave forms, though delaying the entire waveform will have no impact on sound quality.

Assuming that the S/W settings were the same for all rips, the fact that there is differing amounts of silence at the start of each file was a new learning for me. I already discussed about this with @anirban420 over PM.

Guys,
its just one day. Anirban must be busy or something. Lets not say he is hiding. He is doing it for the hobby. I am also curious but not in a hurry.
Regards.

As the lion's share of the votes went to the last two options, we can come to one convincing conclusion that aural difference between the samples are nil or negligible for all practical purposes.
I guess negligible difference is what modern audio hobby mostly depends on. expensive capacitors, Gold plated Connectors, Anti Vibration Chassis, etc. etc. etc.

I guess negligible difference is what modern audio hobby mostly depends on. expensive capacitors, Gold plated Connectors, Anti Vibration Chassis, etc. etc. etc.
That's a state of mind IMHO. I believe, this audio hobby is driven by "concepts". If you agree to a "concept", you'll hear the sound difference that the "concept" brings. Or vice versa.
Anyway, here also bulk of the vote went to the "All sound same" option only because the type of source is unknown. Our concept says that the original copy should sound better. If that would have been known, I'm sure we would've heard it's superiority without any doubt.
"The negligible difference" couldn't establish the best sounding file, BTW.

Let me go a little OT here and pose some questions: Assume you're playing a CD track. How do you know that your CD player is reading and as a corollary, playing exactly what the track on the CD contains? Now play that track again on the same equipment. How do you know that the read/play of that track was exactly the same as the previous time you played the track?
Do the majority even think about all this? I did (because I'm anal!) and that's the reason I went off CD's because there are too many weak links in an affordable (for me) CD/CDP which are beyond me to even attempt to correct. ;)

Sorry for the late. I was very busy today. Moreover, Electricity was off for a long time in our home. Its time to reveal the file details. It will be in the following post.

I am uploading the EAC log of the eleven rips in the same folder where the test files were. It will be found in the log folder. Also, I am uploading the result as Results.txt. I am reposting the link herewith in the following DOWNLOAD button. These files will be valid till 15th June. After that, I will delete everything. Any discussion is welcome.

DOWNLOAD

Glad to be one of the two FMs to rate Copy 0 (04.wav) as the best sounding. I know this doesn’t mean that ‘it was the best sounding’ - not if the poll is used as an indicator since an overwhelmingly large two-thirds of the respondents felt they were the same or any minute differences were hard to tell.

For those who might be interested in knowing what I heard, the answer is best encapsulated in my signature. I didn’t listen analytically, but just went with my feelings/mind-body’s response as I prefer doIng these days (since @prem helped me learn ‘listening to music’ early during the lockdown period). Usually the best response is achieved from well-tuned, easy-flowing sound that moves you. So it’s listening to oneself while listening to the music.

After the first pass listening of the four samples, 04.wav clearly did this the best for me. And 02.wav the next best. In the second pass I just listened to these two again to confirm the impression.

I know this disclosure could invite logical refutation, possibly some snide remarks too. So to clarify again, I have just explained why ‘I liked 04.wav the most’... I am not claiming ‘it was the best’. In fact, if we go by the poll results (and believe majority is right), all the four sounded the same.

I am uploading the EAC log of the eleven rips in the same folder where the test files were. It will be found in the log folder. Also, I am uploading the result as Results.txt. I am reposting the link herewith in the following DOWNLOAD button. These files will be valid till 15th June. After that, I will delete everything. Any discussion is welcome.

DOWNLOAD

@anirban420, appreciate the painstaking rigour you have followed in this research.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had also voted for 04 to be the best.

Reason : The soundstage was better and the vocals had more meaty sound.
02 : Nearly same as above but the soundstage was a bit narrow compared to 04.

Rest two files sounded more like 128kbps mp3. Narrow soundstage and thin sounding. The difference between 01 file and 02 was very marked and apparent. It took some tries to ascertain the differences between 02 file and 04.

This is the best i can put it in words. Apologies as I am very poor at describing sounds.

I had also voted for 04 to be the best.

Reason : The soundstage was better and the vocals had more meaty sound.
02 : Nearly same as above but the soundstage was a bit narrow compared to 04.

Rest two files sounded more like 128kbps mp3. Narrow soundstage and thin sounding. The difference between 01 file and 02 was very marked and apparent. It took some tries to ascertain the differences between 02 file and 04.

This is the best i can put it in words. Apologies as I am very poor at describing sounds.
So can we take from your comment above that from copy 0 onto copy 6 the sound quality remains CD like and needs multiple listening to ascertain the difference between 0 n 6.
But from copy 6 to copy 9/10 there's drastic deterioration, as far as that 9/10 sound as bad as 128kbps mp3?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back