Do I need a step down transformer?

toexchange

Hello:

I notice there are several posts on this subject..so please pardon me (newbie) if duplicate..I bought a Google TV (Sony) 46 in NSX-46GT1 version from USA. Since it is not available anywhere else in the world had to (rules out NTSC/PAL conversion arguments, voltage conversion etc.) Now the manual says 147 W is the consumption...do I need a adapter (safe?) or a 500 W auto stepdown transformer..Maxine has it for 1390.

NSX-46GT1 | 46" Sony Internet TV | Google TV | Sony | Sony Style USA

Do I need a surge protector and a stabilizer too?

I have no other HT equip attached.

Please suggest options, specific equip and where to buy in Chennai.

Thx
Sridhar

Hello:

I notice there are several posts on this subject..so please pardon me (newbie) if duplicate..I bought a Google TV (Sony) 46 in NSX-46GT1 version from USA. Since it is not available anywhere else in the world had to (rules out NTSC/PAL conversion arguments, voltage conversion etc.) Now the manual says 147 W is the consumption...do I need a adapter (safe?) or a 500 W auto stepdown transformer..Maxine has it for 1390.

NSX-46GT1 | 46" Sony Internet TV | Google TV | Sony | Sony Style USA

Do I need a surge protector and a stabilizer too?

I have no other HT equip attached.

Please suggest options, specific equip and where to buy in Chennai.

Thx
Sridhar

Yes you need a Step Down Transformer to convert our Indian voltage to the TV's required input 120v. Don't even try to connect directly with the adapter. You risk your tv. I did that on my Onkyo.

The wattage of this panel is only 147W. Only 2 Amps of current is needed. The problem with this unit is that it is not only rated for 120 volts, but also a 60 Hertz line frequency is required.

There are several reasons a manufacturer might specify a single frequency. One reason is a clock inside the TV that uses the powerline frequency as its timing source. In the USA the electricty suppliers actually adjust the frequency over very long periods of time to insure the accuracy of electric clock.

The other reason is the cost of insulation used in the power supply. Many transformers and switching supplies use insulation certified for 50 or 60Hz operation. Such a machine could be used in Chennai with a simple stepdown transformer. If the manufacturer wants to save a few paise per unit, he can use less insulation and smaller components in the power conversion circuits.

With a single specified power mains frequency you would need an online UPS with constant 60Hz output. In other words the device would use an inverter that always had 120 volt 60Hz output. The UPS would also serve as your surge supressor and stabilzer as well. I find that to be mandatory for equipment I operate in Chennai.

You can of course just convert the voltage to 120 volts and try it. It may work well, but on the other hand a failure of the insulation may bring curls of smoke without benefit of the aroma of incense.

Thank you everyone for the confirmation, I am going with a 1KVA or 1.5 KVA (for future HT add on like an amp) with Maxine from Mount Rd today...Not picking isolated version (although I am lost on the response from Moviela on the 60 Hz technicalities..like the humor thou)..

Moviela - what exactly do you suggest - layperson terms pls..

While I await Moviela's response -

I went ahead with a 1KV + built in stabilizer version from Maxine for 3650 - works like a charm...idea is later if I add my amp/sub combo for full HT this should do. Either ways given all the 110V gizmos I have been importing over the last twenty years this should have been an investment a long time ago - about time!

Thanks everyone.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back