Do it yourself Projection screen

mandeep

Hello

please explain a step by step procedure of how to make a DIY PJ screen (92 inch preferred) from materials readily available in the indian market.

OR

Suggest a good quality"budget" branded/non-branded PJ screen available in and around DELHI

Last edited:
Mandeep, one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways of doing this is to convert a wall into a screen. Get your painter to first sand the wall well, and then put multiple coats of putty till the wall is extremely smooth. Then paint the top with a special white paint available from MRF specifically for this purpose. This paint is available to give either a matt or smooth finish.

Cheers

Venkat, a good idea.

One of the members in Mumbai, has made the screen himself, it has costed him around Rs.7,000/-

The picture quality will drop by about how much per cent compared to a dalite screen and wall painting? Will there be reflection issues? Furthermore, how much of a adverse effect will it have on eyes, as it will be a wall painted screen? In view to these issues if someone watches around 3/4 movies a week, will it be a good idea to go for wall painted screen?

During the making of my mini theatre days, i had wall painted the screen of around 110 inches to see which size will suit my theatre, after several dry runs, finally i had settled for 82 inches screen. Accordingly i had ordered 2 screens one dalite and the other one was fiber based.

Vinay.

Last edited:
I built a fixed frame projector screen a few years ago. The screen quality is pretty good, but over time I have a few ripples on the screen due to flexing of the frame. So if you can build a solid frame which won't flex the screen cloth can be bought for pretty cheap.

I bought the screen material and the velvet border cloth from Zoher and Company in Mumbai. It cost be under 2K.

Zoher: Zoher And Co., Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

You can see pics of my screen here:
https://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/220796/1/Ronnie Hifi?h=1c4236

Hope this helps.

Good info Surrealistix :clapping:
Great setup too! :thumbsup:
BTW you need universal remote control. Maybe a Harmony;)

The picture quality will drop by about how much per cent compared to a dalite screen and wall painting? Will there be reflection issues? Furthermore, how much of a adverse effect will it have on eyes, as it will be a wall painted screen?

A wall will actually reflect less than a screen. A screen has the tendency to reflect even in a completely dark room when the light from the projector is bright in some places.

The picture quality will certainly be less than an expensive screen, but how much is difficult to estimate. I have seen some walls with MRF paints, and from a distance they will look like a screen.

I don't see how a wall will have any adverse effect on the eyes. It should have the same effect a screen has. A well done wall will be quite good for three to four movies a week. If the wall can be curved a bit, it will be exactly like a cinema hall.

In my club we have a wall that is used for projecting movies. I am able to see clearly from some 300 feet away as well as from 20 feet away. Of 3course, this is a full 35MM screen size and should be some 30 to 40 feet diagonal. Actually, I think all clubs use walls only.

You have to be careful in smoothing the wall and ensuring you use the right paint.

Cheers

Then paint the top with a special white paint available from MRF specifically for this purpose. This paint is available to give either a matt or smooth finish.

Cheers

Venkat,

Can you throw some light on where to find MRF Paints? and is there any particular type of paint & stain you would suggest from your experience?

Regards,

Venkat, thank you very much for the writing.

During my buying days of the screens, it was explained to me by some experienced people that wall painting will simply not do, in-fact i have read in some leading magazines also about a big no to painting.

It is interesting that you have seen painted walls, the curve part is a very good idea, if one decides to paint, then curving advantage should be taken.

Vinay.

A wall will actually reflect less than a screen. A screen has the tendency to reflect even in a completely dark room when the light from the projector is bright in some places.

The picture quality will certainly be less than an expensive screen, but how much is difficult to estimate. I have seen some walls with MRF paints, and from a distance they will look like a screen.

I don't see how a wall will have any adverse effect on the eyes. It should have the same effect a screen has. A well done wall will be quite good for three to four movies a week. If the wall can be curved a bit, it will be exactly like a cinema hall.

In my club we have a wall that is used for projecting movies. I am able to see clearly from some 300 feet away as well as from 20 feet away. Of 3course, this is a full 35MM screen size and should be some 30 to 40 feet diagonal. Actually, I think all clubs use walls only.

You have to be careful in smoothing the wall and ensuring you use the right paint.

Cheers

Hi,

Well others have said soo much,but here's my 2cents on the thing :p !!

A dedicated painted wall can give any commercial screen a run for its money if done properly :eek:hyeah:!! There are various ways one can achieve this !

Here's a product specifically made for the purpose. Here's the link of that ;) !! There's loads of info on the site regarding the topic,so make best use of it !!

Screen Paint

Here's some sample images of it !!

step3a-before.jpg

Before the paint.

step3b-after.jpg

After the Paint.

step3c-screenshot.jpg

Screen Shot of the image projected.

There's a friend of mine who has done this in his house and we have compared this to a best available Silver Matt High Gain Screen and The wall took the cake walk without breaking a sweat :eek:hyeah:!!

Regards.

Last edited:
Please call the local MRF office and check with them. They have a special super white paint that is recommended for painting a screen.

There is another link with detailed instructions on using a wall as a screen.

DIY Projector Screens - Part I - Paint Your Own Projection Screen: BigPictureBigSound

Cheers

I had contacted their local office in bangalore on this tele ph no. 23142901. According to them they have no clue about the paint or its application specifically for projection screen. If someone's used anyother paint with success, kindly post your thoughts.

Rgrds

I think if you go for the paint specific for the projection screen, it will void the purpose of DIY since it will cost almost same as readymade screens. Instead what you can do is to use the pure white with satin finish from any brand. Only thing is to prepare the wall without any kind of unevenness (try gently rubbing the surface with your hand) by doing several coats of putty and sanding till you get the desired finish (without the paint it should give a good finish). Apply the paint with good quality roller (not the regular sponge roller, it will give a rough finish). Also you can try a medium grey color coat as the second last coat, this will give the white surface a mute white color.

Last edited:
I think if you go for the paint specific for the projection screen, it will void the purpose of DIY since it will cost almost same as readymade screens. Instead what you can do is to use the pure white with satin finish from any brand. Only thing is to prepare the wall without any kind of unevenness (try gently rubbing the surface with your hand) by doing several coats of putty and sanding till you get the desired finish (without the paint it should give a good finish). Apply the paint with good quality roller (not the regular sponge roller, it will give a rough finish). Also you can try a medium grey color coat as the second last coat, this will give the white surface a mute white color.

I saw few pics in the SCREEN GOO site and the pics looked awesome but as you said the cost is almost equal or more than readymade screens of same quality...and the acoustically transparent screen costs too much and dont know if anyone in india is selling the AT screen fabric...here in Muscat they have quoted me about Rial.800/- for a 120" screen (1 rial = Rs.125/-) and they also had a motorised AT screen with built in speakers and it was abt Rials 3000/-.....thats way too costly for a screen..let us see

If you are planning to hide the speakers by putting the speakers at the bacside of an AT screen, then DIY will not be possible. What you can try is to get the material in loose and make a screen out of it. The painting option (DIY/Goo) can be done only to the walls.

I saw few pics in the SCREEN GOO site and the pics looked awesome but as you said the cost is almost equal or more than readymade screens of same quality...and the acoustically transparent screen costs too much and dont know if anyone in india is selling the AT screen fabric...here in Muscat they have quoted me about Rial.800/- for a 120" screen (1 rial = Rs.125/-) and they also had a motorised AT screen with built in speakers and it was abt Rials 3000/-.....thats way too costly for a screen..let us see

thanks venkatcr, cmsajith, Yogikgf , soundsgreat,vinay,Surrealistix .....,

was in a hurry to take decision on the screen as i was eager to see my newly purchased optoma HD70 in action , so purchased a glass beaded 7ft x5 ft 16:9 for RS 5000/- inclusive of tax, from chandigarh manufacturer: Overhead Projectors, Projection devices, Automatic Slide Projector, LCD Projectors.

A well painted wall seems to be good option though, will try in near future.

kindly also guide whether a UPS (line interactive/online) is a must for projector as the power situation is poor now-a -days in punjab.

which UPS do you all use for your PJ.

I am confused between Line interactive and online UPS

waiting for ur reply

thanks

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back