Do people still listen to vinyl?

I am one of the few converts to digital from analogue.

My reasons -
LPs are hard to maintain
Turntables are hard to maintain
Cost of analogue equipment is high

Now with digital-
High definition files sound equally good (though different from analogue) and sometimes better.
Easy to store and play.
Equipment costs less.
New albums cost less (even on hdtracks)

Have I given up analogue altogether ? No. I have a lot of LPs which I don't want to buy again as digital and I have a turntable which I have had for a long time. So I still listen to analogue.

Digital is equally good but is different from analogue.
(Russian dumplings are equally tasty as their Chinese counterparts or even our omnipresent momo but they all are different.)

923237_10151566249573498_484885790_n.jpg

Recently there was a write up in The Hindu Coimbatore Edition about Mr.Muthusamy who has digitally remastered most of Illayaaraja's Tamil film songs Close to 5500 songs in 5.1 stereo and hifi stereo and had a discussion with him stating analogue was better but has challenged his remastering is far better than the original and has got the approval of the maestro too. He said in 5.1 channel he has separated the bass , treble and voice to left , right and centre channels. Yet to get a Cd from him and test it. he can be reached at 9443708290. He has remastered from Oriental , Ayngaran Music companies original Cds.

Regards
Srinivas

Yes, I listen to vinyl, have been listening since I was born (from 1971 to 1978, our only source of music at home was vinyl). Dad's cassette deck arrived in 1978 but vinyl still dominated till 1985 or so. Then there was a bit of a dip as I started listening to my own system (initially radio with an amplifier and later on, cassette). CD arrived in the house hold in 1997 again, with me. Dad still continued on with vinyl. I got back into vinyl independently in 2003 and have continued ever since. I listen to vinyl becase it sounds a lot more warmer and pleasant when compared to other formats. I also am into vinyl for the following reasons:

1) Its in the family. Most of our family's memories are associated with the records which we used to listen to. In those days, with no TV, on Saturdays and Sundays, Dad used to take us to our hall and he, mom, and the 3 of us used to sit down and listen to records for 4-5 hours at a stretch. My mother used to encourage us to sing the songs on the LPs so dad used to queue them for her to write down the lyrics. It was great family bonding and entertainment. Dad is long gone but when mom and we sit down with those records, we still recall the days, listening to Jim Reeves, Skeeter Davis, Buck Owens, Tom Jones, Englebert Humperdinck, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, James Last, Osibisa, Boney M and Abba, to name a few. Mom used to gift dad, vinyl records on every single birthday of his, back in those days. He was more interested in the birthday gift than the birthday cake or the birthday wishes. Vinyl was a very common and welcomed gift item, back then.

2) Vinyl helps me remember my school days. I recall, our school used to have music played across the campus during the lunch hour. I used to stand outside the Vice Principal's room and watch our seniors play records on an old radio gram with a garrard changer. A mic used to be placed in front of the radio gram's speaker which fed some speakers through an Ahuja PA amp. I have actually managed to collect most of the titles which we had in our school collection, over the years. Lots of memories attached.

3) I love the art of playing and maintaining vinyl, its very appealing to me. We've grown up with turntables and records, and understand them well.

4) Bragging rights: Being into vinyl is considered very cool with a lot more people these days, considering it to be a very expensive and high-end hobby. To say one is into collecting vinyl is like saying that one is into collecting art or into vintage cars and bikes. Lots or curiosity, lots of respect!!

5) Dad would have wanted it that way. He never forced us to accept vinyl or he never tried to hard sell the concept to impress us. Even when I branched out into tapes and CDs, he never attempted to convince me to return to vinyl. When he came to know that I was into vinyl, he was impressed. We used to share long conversations (right from my child hood days) discussing various aspects of vinyl playback, turntables and amplification. He had experienced a lot of vintage hi-fi and was like a walking encyclopedia. Also since he was a Telecom engineer and understood the theory behind everything, more indepth insight was available at our finger tips. This has translated into our restoration activities these days.

Last edited:
Yes, I listen to vinyl, have been listening since I was born (from 1971 to 1978, our only source of music at home was vinyl). Dad's cassette deck arrived in 1978 but vinyl still dominated till 1985 or so. Then there was a bit of a dip as I started listening to my own system (initially radio with an amplifier and later on, cassette). CD arrived in the house hold in 1997 again, with me. Dad still continued on with vinyl. I got back into vinyl independently in 2003 and have continued ever since. I listen to vinyl becase it sounds a lot more warmer and pleasant when compared to other formats. I also am into vinyl for the following reasons:

1) Its in the family. Most of our family's memories are associated with the records which we used to listen to. In those days, with no TV, on Saturdays and Sundays, Dad used to take us to our hall and he, mom, and the 3 of us used to sit down and listen to records for 4-5 hours at a stretch. My mother used to encourage us to sing the songs on the LPs so dad used to queue them for her to write down the lyrics. It was great family bonding and entertainment. Dad is long gone but when mom and we sit down with those records, we still recall the days, listening to Jim Reeves, Skeeter Davis, Buck Owens, Tom Jones, Englebert Humperdinck, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, James Last, Osibisa, Boney M and Abba, to name a few. Mom used to gift dad, vinyl records on every single birthday of his, back in those days. He was more interested in the birthday gift than the birthday cake or the birthday wishes. Vinyl was a very common and welcomed gift item, back then.

2) Vinyl helps me remember my school days. I recall, our school used to have music played across the campus during the lunch hour. I used to stand outside the Vice Principal's room and watch our seniors play records on an old radio gram with a garrard changer. A mic used to be placed in front of the radio gram's speaker which fed some speakers through an Ahuja PA amp. I have actually managed to collect most of the titles which we had in our school collection, over the years. Lots of memories attached.

3) I love the art of playing and maintaining vinyl, its very appealing to me. We've grown up with turntables and records, and understand them well.

4) Bragging rights: Being into vinyl is considered very cool with a lot more people these days, considering it to be a very expensive and high-end hobby. To say one is into collecting vinyl is like saying that one is into collecting art or into vintage cars and bikes. Lots or curiosity, lots of respect!!

5) Dad would have wanted it that way. He never forced us to accept vinyl or he never tried to hard sell the concept to impress us. Even when I branched out into tapes and CDs, he never attempted to convince me to return to vinyl. When he came to know that I was into vinyl, he was impressed. We used to share long conversations (right from my child hood days) discussing various aspects of vinyl playback, turntables and amplification. He had experienced a lot of vintage hi-fi and was like a walking encyclopedia. Also since he was a Telecom engineer and understood the theory behind everything, more indepth insight was available at our finger tips. This has translated into our restoration activities these days.

I can feel what you have written as I am now a Sr. citizen and have been collecting LP's since 68, I do have most of the records you have mentioned, my largest collection is of James Last & N.K.Cole after marriage I doubled my record collection thanks to my wife who also loves music J Hendrix, CSNY, CCR, I do play my records whenever I get a chance, my children want to know if I really enjoy the music with all those scratchy sounds.

Listening to vinyl is an art i would mention. when you see the record label spin on the turntable it is a pleasure to watch and listen to sound as it was recorded at the studios.

Each label has a story to tell and feel of personal attachment with a record is more to than that of a CD or Cassette. As members said i too grew up listening to vinyl records and was presented a HMV fiesta player and 50 records by my nephew when i was a kid of 5 years old way back in 1980.The smell of the vinyl is fragrance undefined as it is to listening.

Myself and my cousin brother would play film songs when we meet over the summer holidays at others residence and also dance to the songs. Wonderful memories. My mom and her sisters and brother always have a listening session at their native. I was lucky my uncle was magnanimous to handover all his collection of say about 1000 records to me seeing my passion. I would pester my mom to give her records each time i would move to next class in school and she would never oblige. Finally when i was doing the 8th standard she gave all her 100 and odd records to me.

I still keep the first turntable given to me when our family was in deep financial crisis in the 1980s. It was bought paying Rs 450 plus all old electronic junk. I was very much wanting to have a changer which always fascinated the way it works because the one we had from Coimbatore industrial genius G.D.Naidu's UMS factory died down due to my negligence. Things changed in 1990s we were financially better and my first lot of records of close to 100 lps purchased from poppat Jamal and son at chennai still holds my priority.

Mind : one never gets satisfied with reproduced sound from the varieties of turntables and amps available with speaker sets as the record would sound different each time it was played in a different player. thats one reason you would find atleast 2 to 3 turntables in any vinyl enthusiast place.

Srinivas

Most of our family's memories are associated with the records which we used to listen to. In those days, with no TV, on Saturdays and Sundays, Dad used to take us to our hall and he, mom, and the 3 of us used to sit down and listen to records for 4-5 hours at a stretch. My mother used to encourage us to sing the songs on the LPs so dad used to queue them for her to write down the lyrics. It was great family bonding and entertainment. Dad is long gone but when mom and we sit down with those records, we still recall the days, listening to Jim Reeves, Skeeter Davis, Buck Owens, Tom Jones, Englebert Humperdinck, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, James Last, Osibisa, Boney M and Abba, to name a few.

""
Daddy's flown across the ocean
Leaving just a memory
Snapshot in the family album
Daddy what else did you leave for me?
Daddy, what'd'ja leave behind for me?!?
All in all it was just a brick in the wall.
All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.""

-Another Brick in the Wall Part 1 (Waters)

I think for you dad left Memories and Records ...Reuben preserve it!
Touched....

-Hemant

Recently there was a write up in The Hindu Coimbatore Edition about Mr.Muthusamy who has digitally remastered most of Illayaaraja's Tamil film songs Close to 5500 songs in 5.1 stereo and hifi stereo and had a discussion with him stating analogue was better but has challenged his remastering is far better than the original and has got the approval of the maestro too. He said in 5.1 channel he has separated the bass , treble and voice to left , right and centre channels. Yet to get a Cd from him and test it. he can be reached at 9443708290. He has remastered from Oriental , Ayngaran Music companies original Cds.

Regards
Srinivas

Hi srinivas,

I also read the article in the Hindu, have a lot of doubts in the restoration, though I actually have not heard it. The article had some errors in itself. If you come across one of those CDs please let me know.

N.Murali

When I first got converted to Vinyl about 10 years ago, I met a guy who told me that listening to a LP is like listening in a studio because all that a recording engineer wanted in a track is pressed into the groove and you can reproduce most of it if you have the right settings. This is actually the most important aspect of vinyl . It is accurate reproduction of a studio recording almost unaldulterated . Once you are hooked, there is usually no turning back and you want to keep improving your level of listening by using better analogue gear till you can achieve a emotional nirvana or engagement wih the music you are listening. More and more converts are realising this fact fortunately

Its really ironic that most of us have similar reasons for being into vinyl, and the passion continues...

I forgot to mention, that when we had those listening sessions, I would hold the record covers and inner sleeves and admire them. Later on, when I reached standard 4 or so, I started reading what was printed on the back side of record covers. Every record cover almost told a story of sorts. I distinctly remember one of those Saturday evenings we were sitting down and listening to Jim Reeves' "According To My Heart". Dad had these horn speakers and our neighbour also came down with is wife, to join us and he was all praise for the way Jim Reeves sounded. After that evening's listening session they were discussing Jim Reeves and that's when I came to know that Jim Reeves was actually dead at the time. My dad actually narrated the story to us about the plane crash (there was no wikipedia in those days) This came as a shock to me. Even though I was that small back then, it felt as though a family member had passed away. Still remember that distinctly. Jim Reeves was a very big name in households with english music listening tastes back then.

We also used to have fun checking out the inner sleeves. They used to have little pictures of current and future releases. Dad and mom would discuss their next LP purchase and kind of create their own most-wanted list.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back