Do You Miss Your casettes

I remember an album on cassette that EVERYONE who listened to English music had or wanted at that time - I forget the name of the album but it was a compilation of songs of various artistes and had Lipps Inc' Funky Town on it. If anyone remembers the name of the album please refresh my memory and the other songs on that album.

Stars on 45, perchance?

Hello Guys,
looks like you all are having much fun and I think you all are disussing these?

IMG_1654.jpg

and these

IMG_1659.jpg

(Looks like i do have unopened pack of TDKs)
those are put into something like this

IMG_1661.jpg

and something like this

IMG_1662.jpg

Or alternatively in these

IMG_1655.jpg

and probably you all should have a bunch of these - replace every 6-7 months

IMG_1672.jpg

...... I dont think I miss them. they are still at hand.
so could take these few snaps since yesterday

ummm.. few more cartons should be up there.

IMG_1653.jpg

Psychotropic is right. That is exactly how it works. You cannot dial the track number, but jump to the next or previous tracks as many times as you want. It achieved the same result in a different way.

On some boom boxes like the 555 (National Panasonic, IIRC), 9292 and 9494 (don't remember if those were Sharp or National Panasonic), there were numbered buttons to select which track one wants to forward or rewind to.

On some boom boxes like the 555 (National Panasonic, IIRC), 9292 and 9494 (don't remember if those were Sharp or National Panasonic), there were numbered buttons to select which track one wants to forward or rewind to.

That counter on National Panasonic Boomboxes.

Regards,
Sachin

I think you re referring to APSS or APLD.. I had a Sharp GF 9696 for a long time till I got a Teac /TASCAM 3 head..Sharp was the Boombox King - the 555 , later 666 & 777 were the first "serious" double cassette boomboxen. .. record level controls and meters!
Still remember dubbing Pink Floyds "The Wall" on my friends 555.
Panasonic had a ubiquitous boombox called the RX-5030, not quite in the same league as Sharp..
I also had a Pioneer boombox ..not so common then

Stars on 45, perchance?

Not quite.. It was Syndicate :Best Disco Hits 1980 and had the picture of the head of a bald guy..I have the album albeit in mp3 format.. Stay the Night (Billy ocean), Mandolay (La Flavour) , Funky Town (Lipps Inc) You re OK (Ottowan), Kobaka Shaka (Roberta Kelley) and some others as well

Hi Friends'
Do you remember casettes were very costly during 1979-80, HMV casettes were priced Rs 35 - 40, Thanks to Late Gulshan Kumar, who started production of T Series , were priced Rs 17 during 1988-90, HMV was costlier even in 90s, I still remember Mirza Ghalib set was priced Rs 60. I have a collection of Sony, TDK casettes, Ferri Chrome, Metal casettes were very costly, purchased two Sony metal casettes for Rs 120 each from Kidderpur market in Kolkata, I had a Cosmic K-8 metal casette deck, a Lab 3000 amplifier and a pair of Cosmic 6000 speakers, K-8 stopped working five years ago:sad:, I stll have Lab 3000 and Cosmic speakers, which I connect with a CD player and play CDs, MP3s :),

Thanks
Cosmic

I have cassettes but I will probably not miss them if they are gone some day. But I do miss the spools.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I do not. But I remember when cds were introduced for the first time with the slogan perfect sound forever, the music on my metal and Chrome bias tapes recorded from LPs played through my Nakamichi deck sounded F-A-R better than its counterparts on cd.

Nowadays, digital sound has come a long way. Cassettes are no longer missed.

@ JLS
Ah..i too had that album...quite a funky one that was ;)

I bought it on LP for old times sake:). Still have it. When Stars on 45 was a raging hit, I was too young to have anything of my own. The first cassettes I remember ever buying were a George Harrison (he wears a tee with some yellow design and sitting on the fender of a car) and a Wings Greatest Hits.

To add: the choice of titles betrays just how much I liked the Beatles, as a kid.

Last edited:
Reading this brings back fond memories of the cassette days.

I used to have vinyl songs recorded on them from the local recording guy.
Used to be Rs 20 for C60 and Rs 30 for C90 per cassette. They sounded excellent.
IMO the next best sound after actual vinyl sound.

I had a bunch (about 20) of TDK Metal Cassettes, if anybody remembers them, the ones with the transparent casing and very heavy.I had recorded my fav Kishore Kumar songs on them from vinyl.
The sad and the most terrible thing I did was give them away about 15 years ago.
Till date am looking for that guy to get them back or buy them back. Too much drink that night perhaps.

Reading this brings back fond memories of the cassette days.

I used to have vinyl songs recorded on them from the local recording guy.
Used to be Rs 20 for C60 and Rs 30 for C90 per cassette. They sounded excellent.
IMO the next best sound after actual vinyl sound.

I had a bunch (about 20) of TDK Metal Cassettes, if anybody remembers them, the ones with the transparent casing and very heavy.I had recorded my fav Kishore Kumar songs on them from vinyl.
The sad and the most terrible thing I did was give them away about 15 years ago.
Till date am looking for that guy to get them back or buy them back. Too much drink that night perhaps.

Ah TDK, how could i ever forget that company. I guess it had a Red Cover if i am not mistaken.
I too had a lot of cassettes. I remember going to the local shop near my home with a list of songs which he would record it in the cassette. I guess he would charge Re 1/2 Rs per song.

You made me feel nostalgic today.

We were the orignal pirates man, we did this recordind thing in our shop. The funny thing is i didn't even know this was illegal then. Pencils, the handwritten "list" of songs to be recorded. The cassettes and cases. Then came walkmans,then small cassettes,then they all vanished. I dont have even a single cassette or tape(cassette player that is) now.

I've always felt that cassettes were one format that encouraged if not forced you to listen to an entire album end to end. You put up with the bad or average songs to get to the good songs, but all in all, you listened to an album in the same way as the artist intended. It is far too tempting to skip songs with other formats. I'm not even sure how many people listen to rock albums this way anymore.

On a side note, I remember this underground shop in Palika Bazaar in Delhi that was the *only* source of rare and exotic cassettes, especially of rock and metal. I think it was called Clydes and my friends and I used to worship that shop! They also had Thomsun originals, recordings of Casey's Top 40s, Billboard top 100s, and also ran an underground business of selling copies and re-recordings.

Pretty much all the post talk of nostalgia. The fact of the matter is that casettes are a dead piece of technology like the computer's floppy disc. Better upgrade to cd player, mp3 on mobile and tablets and don't rue on what is dead.

We were the orignal pirates man, we did this recordind thing in our shop. The funny thing is i didn't even know this was illegal then. Pencils, the handwritten "list" of songs to be recorded. The cassettes and cases. Then came walkmans,then small cassettes,then they all vanished. I dont have even a single cassette or tape(cassette player that is) now.

The first time I laid my hand on cassettes was from my dad's collection of Kishore Kumar & Lataji, & many others , with my father's Philips deck.

After that i got a Philips Walkman. Then i made two DIY mono amps with tone control & used them in stereo mode with matka speakers :licklips:.

One of my friend has a large collection around 800+:clapping: i usually borrow from him and to the local recording shop :p. The shopkeeper he used to charge Rs.10/c60 & Rs.20/c90.

I miss the winding of the rolls with pencil.

My collection is getting dust somewhere, need to restore those.

Last edited:
Guys if you miss cassette and still want have along with your digital music.
There is an alternative.
Recently I acquired a three in one system which has cd with mp3, autoreverse cassette player and a pen drive playing option. The thread is in CD players.
Check that player it is worth buying.
TEAC AD 800. So far available in US. may need to search for any other place I have not done it.
Cassettes were fun. I have hundreds of them and cds, yet the fun with them cannot come with other formats. Many keep taunting us to upgrade. It is not that we have not. We like to be nostalgic and we respect the guys who gave more pleasure that the present digital.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back