Does burning at higher speeds affect data?

frnd08

does burning at say speeds like 12x or 16x cause loss of data or any difference compared to burning at lower speeds say 8x?

Yes, it's always advisable to burn at lower speeds. I burn @ 4x.

Sometimes high speed writing can result in media not being read, skipping etc.

does burning at say speeds like 12x or 16x cause loss of data or any difference compared to burning at lower speeds say 8x?

for archiving purposes this is fine but specially when writing audio CDs/DVDs a lower speed is preferred. Some times an external CD/DVD player simply fails to read a media written at high speeds - this is the most important reason for the advice to write at lower speeds.

Then again earlier roms lacked bigger automatic buffers - so people suggested lower write speeds. At higher speeds - the device sometimes could not be fed with the requisite amount of data.

Also sometimes digital jitter might creep in while burning at higher speeds.

No it doesn't actually. However the so called high-end CD/DVD players are so finicky - they usually don't play media which is burnt at high speeds.

Oh, and they also don't play CDs that are not finalized while burning. Came to know this the hard way while auditioning.

as low as your patience allows you :D

and do remember to get good media if you are archiving. Taiyo Yuden is the best, But I'm too cheap, and make do with verbatims :)

as low as your patience allows you :D

and do remember to get good media if you are archiving. Taiyo Yuden is the best, But I'm too cheap, and make do with verbatims :)

well i use to go for lastertras, but since its out of production now, have no option but to go for writex.

Last edited:
I have been using Sony dvd's for last 5 years, never faced any issues, find them to be reliable and value for money

In answer to the OPs question - it depends. Look at the quality of the discs you're going to use. In general, the better the media, the more likely it is to give you better results at the higher speed.

For example, if I take an 8X-rated Taiyo Yuden disc, MID YudenT002, it can burn well at 4X, 8X and even overspeed well to 12X and 16X. Thing is, most writers accelerate toward the end of the disc, so you *may* see PIE spikes toward the end when overspeeding. Should be well within error correction norms for the reader though.

However, if I'm dealing with an 8X Princo, then yes, the lower the better. Longevity will be an issue as well, with this media.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back