Does Full automatic washing machine cleans better than semi automatic machines?

Though Front loading machine will consume less water compared to top loading however I read somewhere that as the front loading gets older it's little difficult with the door.

If u are considering a front loading one then there is no other choice better than a siemens one... A few years back both IFB & siemens used to be good mostly coz they were assembled in turkey but now IFB has shifted operations to a goa factory & sadly quality has gone down with it... In the present market the only choice is Siemens coz no amt of fancy features can beat pure quality... As we are on a hifi forum I might as well give an audio reference... If u want a pure music listening exp nothing beats a good source to decent amp connected to a good pair of towers... U could add tons of fancy features & make a 7.1,9.1 or even a 11.1 setup but none of these features or number of speakers will give u the listening joy a simple stereo setup will give...

Its semi-auto ALL THE WAY!

1. YOU decide how much water or detergent is actually required to clean and NOT the machine. 'This' saves water, than anything else.

2. YOU decide the time of cleaning or re-cleaning. 'This' makes sure of the 'clean' that one is looking for.

3. One can re-use the detergent-laced water as many times as one wishes in semi-auto .... JUST not possible in full-auto. Clean the 'whites' first, then do the 'coloured' clothings in the same detergent-water.

4. There is no noticeable difference in the quality of wash in front or top load machines. I said ... noticeable here.

5. Logic says, it would be easier to operate a top-load machine .... one does not have to bend. Logic also says that there 'could' be chances of water leakage from the door edges in a front-load machine.

6. WM is a regular-use, virtually daily use equipment. So, best is to keep is as simple as possible. No requirements of in-built heater ... one can easily plan to attach the geyser line to the WM.

No 'fuzzy logics' is also a need ... only meant for very very busy people. Neither my wife nor I am one. That would also cut out the instrumentation part. Any component failing, would result in the stoppage of the WM.

We also don't mind shifting the dripping soaped clothes from the main tub to the rinsing/drying tub of the semi-auto.

Had started with using full-auto WM in 1986 (National Japan - Videocon supply) ... followed by an LG full-auto. Switched to LG 6.5 kg semi-auto after getting a taste of the convenience associated with semis at a relative's place. Now, a sworn semi-auto user .....

5. Logic says, it would be easier to operate a top-load machine .... one does not have to bend. Logic also says that there 'could' be chances of water leakage from the door edges in a front-load machine.
This is not actually the case.

Well, ok, it is a potential fault, but so is brake failure on a car! And so is leakage of the motor spindle seal on a top-loader --- so, to my logic, risk is the same.

I remember twin-tubs! Frankly, apart from having a spin drier, they were almost as much work as washing by hand. I remember them, but it is decades since I used anything but an automatic front loader.

Those decades have left me not wanting to do anything but put the washing in and take it out. For those willing to make wash-time a more involved experience, I think your other points are very good ones.

There is yet another thing to share ..... you must be aware of the 'collar blacks' ... this is something which I have'nt seen any WM handle properly. This is where one is forced to 'scrub by hand' even when resorting to WM wash, well, any WM.

Stuff like collar and cuff stains not being removed is, I think, more down to the quality of the detergent than the machine. I didn't have that problem since many years back, in London.

As I don't wear formal western shirts any longer, I can only theorise, but adding Vanish to the wash (or using it as a pre-soak) would probably help. It's the biological/enzyme thing: it really cuts through grease-based dirt.

Our washing machine is seldom used except for sheets and dhotis. In reality, it would do 90% of our wash in a couple of washes per week, but, somehow, my wife likes to keep her maid busy. It's a wasted resource.

Recently I bought IFB Elite 7 kg price Rs.31500 after a lot of search. I found this machine is worthwhile in this price range.

As money value is dropping people tend to spend 2-5k extra for some fancy in thing.
There is no serious defect introduced to a Auto WM w.r.t Semi AUto as CDP to DVDp upgrade like in audio.. so just people grab a automatic machine.

Cleaning will be based on design but electrolux LG etc are doing good as i hear .
However the semiauto may have some freedom like reuse of detergents , unless there is recession most people dont bother about them .

I'm planning to buy a Washing Machine. First I decided to buy a semi-automatic machine but after speaking with the sales man of Great Eastern Electronic today, I am a bit confused. The salesman told me that, Automatics washes clothes better that Semi ones. Is it true?

Budget is 14k. I'm going for Lg model LG T70CPD22P Top Load Washing Machine - 6.5kg, Free Silver, Normal, Turbodrum - LG Electronics IN

MRP : Rs.15290/-
Independence day offer price : Rs. 13800/- (may bargain down to 13500)

A semi-automatic washing machine contains two tubs, one for washing and the other for drying. Unlike a fully automatic washing machine, here after the washing cycle is complete you have to put the washed clothes in the drying tub for the drying cycle. So technically both are same. For delicate clothes like kurtis or silk sarees I would prefer soft curl drum with smooth, diamond-shaped ridges.

My inputs will be quite unconventional. I also say this as someone who has lived for many years with front loaders and recently moved to a top loader. I also say this as someone who has laundry duty.

With current washing machine technology, there is no difference in wash quality or perhaps even water consumption. Both styles have been highly optimized to death - you're basically getting very similar wash quality and performance.

The biggest pain in a top loader is actually the central spindle (the thing that juts out in the middle of the chamber like Burj Al Arab). Clothes get twisted in them, they make it difficult to load, and significantly reduce the amount of clothes you can put in the machine. The new models from Samsung and LG manage to get rid of the central Qutb Minar which has made all the difference. I can take an entire armload of clothes and just dump it into the gaping maw.

My suggestion, just like a fridge would be - quantity always always beats quality. Go for the biggest washing machine you can afford. It will invariably be a top loader. Your future self and all the people around you who use the washing machine regularly will thank you every day - when they get done with one load and one wash cycle instead of 2 or 3. As for the rest of the parameters, they can go fetch oil from the market, to paraphrase and butcher a Hindi saying.

Edit: And forgot to mention: Go for convenience. I presume a full automatic would be far easier to use than a semi-automatic. So absolutely go for a full automatic.

Last edited:
Wow....a 2012 thread / discussion revived ...hot topic washing machines...... ;)

my 2 cents on hands on experience.....over the last 12 to 15 years using a Semi Automatic Videocon....6.5 kgs.....works like a charm.....as you are the boss and you decide everything unlike other machines which need a set minimum time or water or weight etc.....

Besides machines.....it depends on the kind of water available in your location...detergent used etc.....

Hello.
Being in the laundry as Laundry Manager, and also run a laundry business, I recommend any one to blindly go in for front loading machine, with a water heater option,preferably semi automatic functions, as if you are a DIY sort of repair guy, one can easily replace the damage part yourself.
Front loading machines have the BEATING ACTION cycle, which helps in getting dirt and soil faster and better

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back