Dolby/5.1 audio input to DAV-TZ215 HT system

daanand

Hi I have a DAV-TZ215 HT system. I would like to connect my ASUS O!Play Mini to DAV-TZ215 and get dolby effect
The ASUS O!Play Mini has an optical out but DAV-TZ215 has only analogue IN, which means only stereo effect or an virtual 5.1 effect can only be got.

My question is
1. Is there a way to achieve 5.1 true dolby through my existing DAV-TZ215 HT speakers (like using some converters)
2. If it is not possible is there a way to upgrade my HT but to retain the speakers (my budget would be like 6K)

Seems there is no way except the option of pseudo surround that your HT offers. I do not know how old it is but better you upgrade. At 6K there is a poor workaround though
1. Get a stereo computer speaker set in low price and use as rear surrounds
2. Buy a box like this Dolby Digital Decoder AC 3 PRO Logic DTS TO Analog 5 1 Audio Converter | eBay which will decode ASUS OPlay mini-s output to analogue
3. Send the L/R to Sony HTIB with the C channel may be to either one
4. Send the SR and SL to your multimedia speakers
This way you get to utilize your HT at least to some extent

Another way can be to get NEW Logitech Z506 5 1 Speaker System Surround Sound BOX Pack With Bill | eBay (or something similar) along with the decoder box mentioned above and use this combo only for movies via OPlay

Could I use your said decoder - "Dolby Digital Decoder AC 3 PRO Logic DTS TO Analog 5 1 Audio Converter" to convert my optical to individual analogue signals and then use my DAV-TZ215 speakers(i.e all my existing speakers including the subwoofer) to connect to this decoder. Would that help me? Would the speakers work in that way?

Could I use your said decoder - "Dolby Digital Decoder AC 3 PRO Logic DTS TO Analog 5 1 Audio Converter" to convert my optical to individual analogue signals and then use my DAV-TZ215 speakers(i.e all my existing speakers including the subwoofer) to connect to this decoder. Would that help me? Would the speakers work in that way?

I am not sure if all speaker wires go out from your DVD Player looking HT head unit or from the sub. If it is the first then there is no way as all are passive devices to which the output of the decoder will not be able to provide enough (amplified) power for them to play.

If it is the later (which means the amplifier is inside the sub) then there will be a chance provided only if subwoofer has individual 5.1 inputs.

In short the decoder output will not have enough power to drive speakers so has to be fed to amplifier.

In my opinion you should look for Edifier or Logitech 5.1 multimedia speakers that has optical input and will provide much better sound than a 25 / 30 K Sony. But of course will cost higher than 6K.

Back