Dolby Atmos 4K media player...no CONFIRMED cheaper android boxes??

If I’m excused, this was the reply to someone’s post in a forum:

“You need to buy a S912 TVBOX. It can support Dolby Vision. Use the kodi, you can passthrough the True HD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD and DTS:X. But the s912 tvbox do not support 1000M LAN and USB3.0”.

My question is has anyone experienced Dolby Vision through an android box?

Does it mean that if box is taking care of Dolby Vision through its hardware, can it be projected by any projected? If it can, can the AVR be a bottle neck for it to pass through?

Why am I so concerned about Dolby Vision ? You got to see to know it! Watched Jack Ryan on my Sony 4k tv through amazon prime app. Splendid.

Last edited:
afaik DV is currently not available in BR rips as they dont have the hack for it yet, only source is NF/prime for which i'm not sure how these amlogic boxes do. if you have a DV compatible tv then mostly they'll have the smart apps. if you need a external player than in that price only fire tv 4k is there but that doesnt do HD audio passthrough only does (upto) DD+

afaik DV is currently not available in BR rips as they dont have the hack for it yet, only source is NF/prime for which i'm not sure how these amlogic boxes do.
Very logical.
if you need a external player than in that price only fire tv 4k is there but that doesnt do HD audio passthrough only does (upto) DD+
I do have one and bought reading product description “Enjoy brilliant picture and immersive sound with access to 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, HDR, HDR-10, HLG, and HDR-10+”. Never tested it for Dolby Vision but Atmos isn’t working in 1080p. Read somewhere that Dolby Atmos is encoded only with 4K.

(Posted in Kodi forum on 29th April 2019)

“For Android TV Kodi - only the NVIDIA Shield or the 2016 Mi Box (model MDZ-16-AB) will give you HD audio passthrough.”

In the same post (for tinkering/tech enthusiasts)...
“You should run CoreELEC Kodi Leia on the S905X device.”

this is a quick guide for CE/LE install, rest all qs are answered in that link i gave above

android kodi will not output HD audio unless your HW supports it for which you need the 10k+ android boxes & even those have some isssue or the other. since you already have a box all this will cost you is 1 micro sd card & 1 hour of time to try

Do you mean after installing core/elec or Libre Elec, the HD Audio issue will be resolved?

what do you mean by resolved? hd audio will be passthrough to your avr/tv so whatever formats are compatible with them will play

what do you mean by resolved? hd audio will be passthrough to your avr/tv so whatever formats are compatible with them will play
I hope you haven’t taken my naive question in an offence. The android tv boxes are a complex web & if you unknowingly miss out on a small feature leads to disappointment.

4K HDR HTPC ia the way to go. Don't waste ur hard earned money on something else. I can share my configuration if u want. Mine is HDCP 2.2 complaint and have intel graphics. Powerdvd automatically switches to HDR.

4K HDR HTPC ia the way to go. Don't waste ur hard earned money on something else. I can share my configuration if u want. Mine is HDCP 2.2 complaint and have intel graphics. Powerdvd automatically switches to HDR.
Please share your configuration. It will surely help not just those looking to build a 4K HTPC but for building a well configured customised PC too.

What if someone want to use only a media player device with his full of 4k movies HDD. I just want to buy a fcking player which can passthrough dolby atmos, DTS X to my onkyo 686 reciever, and UHD, X265, HDR videos to my LG 4K TV. I really don't want to lost myself in endless technical terms, chipset names, kodi versions, pc configurations etc. Just as in the old times with my wd box, just plug your hard disk to that box and watch your movies on TV, transfer audio signal to your reciever, things are not so simply anymore? I really get bored this endless searching in last weeks guys, I bought 4k TV, onkyo reciever, all klipsch atmos speakers and now I stuck at that fcking player dilemma. Wtf.

People suggest nvidia shield, Vero 4k, zappiti, on kodi forums they are talking about chipset names and they say if you buy one of the cheap China player with this chipset then it's enough... Then why zappiti, Vera and other brands sell their products with double triple prices.

As in the first post of this topic... I just need a few brand model suggestion too plz. A player which can passthrough dolby atmos and dts x to my receiver and 4k, uhd, x265, hdr video signal to my TV that's all I don't need anything else...

Hope someone can think as me on a simply and newbie level and can suggest a few alternative brands.

Thanx

What if someone want to use only a media player device with his full of 4k movies HDD. I just want to buy a fcking player which can passthrough dolby atmos, DTS X to my onkyo 686 reciever, and UHD, X265, HDR videos to my LG 4K TV. I really don't want to lost myself in endless technical terms, chipset names, kodi versions, pc configurations etc. Just as in the old times with my wd box, just plug your hard disk to that box and watch your movies on TV, transfer audio signal to your reciever, things are not so simply anymore? I really get bored this endless searching in last weeks guys, I bought 4k TV, onkyo reciever, all klipsch atmos speakers and now I stuck at that fcking player dilemma. Wtf.

People suggest nvidia shield, Vero 4k, zappiti, on kodi forums they are talking about chipset names and they say if you buy one of the cheap China player with this chipset then it's enough... Then why zappiti, Vera and other brands sell their products with double triple prices.

As in the first post of this topic... I just need a few brand model suggestion too plz. A player which can passthrough dolby atmos and dts x to my receiver and 4k, uhd, x265, hdr video signal to my TV that's all I don't need anything else...

Hope someone can think as me on a simply and newbie level and can suggest a few alternative brands.

Thanx
If you really don't want to get into the spec and not so cheap Chinese chipset with crippled, half cooked features etc.. I'd suggest going with one of the standard player or streaming devices like nVidia shield or ATV4K is even better to get the best out of the streaming services around, things would gradually move to streaming services going forward if I can see things right.

Thanx
elangoas already mentioned about couple of confirmed boxes in previous posts about 1080p + Atmos. Confusing prevails on 4K + Atmos & 4K + DTS X combination.

This is largely due to, almost everyone including me are using Atmos AVR with 1080p projector but have 4K TVs in other rooms. Very few seem to be using 4K TV + Atmos avr like you (my case Atmos sound bar) as Atmos speaker setup is not very appealing and indulging in living room.

So lack of hands-on-experience is the bottle-neck for suggesting you straight away! Then how to solve this?

We all got to do our part by either buy & test ourselves that seem promising or research here and elsewhere to quote the findings!

It looks like there are no cheaper (<Rs.5K) and confirmed android boxes that tick all requisites! From what I infer, a box must have..

OS: “Google certified” status is optional but latest android (9.0 boxes only available) is a must. If you are looking for straight out of the box Linux based coreelac/openelac/SPMC etc, such boxes are not available. So you got to dual boot with the help of microSD (at least 16gb).

CPU: Amlogic S905x2 (905w < 905x2 < 905D < 912). I could not come across any S905D boxes. Coming to s912, though very capable of 4K60fps & HDR, seems to be weak on audio front!! I’m using a S912 box and I won’t be here if it is otherwise right? No idea about Allwinner / Rockchip.

STORAGE: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM & 64GB Flash ROM. 3GB+32GB should also serve.

GRAPHIC CARD: Mali 450 and above. No idea about Mali-G31.

USB port: usb3.0 for smooth playback of 4K heavy files. Two ports are desirable, one normal, other OTG. (Buy a 128gb usb 3.0 Pendrive at least as uncompressed uhd rips may sometimes be as big as 80gb+)

ETHERNET: Though 1/1000m is required for smooth streaming of 4K, doesn’t find plenty of them around which meet all other criteria. Most of them out there are 1/100m.

WiFi: Dual band (2.5 & 5) & 2T2R

HDMI port: ver 2.1 or 2.0a or at least 2.0 (so should be the cable you use. Ver 2.1 cable costs 2300 where as 2.0 cost 300)

BLUETOOTH: 4.x + HS

REMOTE: voice Remote but most often these don’t work well. But a Logitech Bluetooth mouse (maybe Rs.1500 or so) for easy operation as well as it works from long distances.

SUMMARY:

4K display <- HDMI 2.1cable (to 2.1 or 2.0 ports on both ends) <- Atmos & dts X capable AVR <- HDMI 2.1cable <- Confirmed TV box (android with kodi latest version app installed) with hdmi port of 2.0 and above <- (to a usb 3.0 port) USB 3.1 or 3.0 Pendrive <- (uncompressed) uhd rip

If all these are met, we might get contentment!

It looks like there are no cheaper (<Rs.5K) and confirmed android boxes that tick all requisites! From what I infer, a box must have..

OS: “Google certified” status is optional but latest android (9.0 boxes only available) is a must. If you are looking for straight out of the box Linux based coreelac/openelac/SPMC etc, such boxes are not available. So you got to dual boot with the help of microSD (at least 16gb).

CPU: Amlogic S905x2 (905w < 905x2 < 905D < 912). I could not come across any S905D boxes. Coming to s912, though very capable of 4K60fps & HDR, seems to be weak on audio front!! I’m using a S912 box and I won’t be here if it is otherwise right? No idea about Allwinner / Rockchip.

STORAGE: 4GB LPDDR4 RAM & 64GB Flash ROM. 3GB+32GB should also serve.

GRAPHIC CARD: Mali 450 and above. No idea about Mali-G31.

USB port: usb3.0 for smooth playback of 4K heavy files. Two ports are desirable, one normal, other OTG. (Buy a 128gb usb 3.0 Pendrive at least as uncompressed uhd rips may sometimes be as big as 80gb+)

ETHERNET: Though 1/1000m is required for smooth streaming of 4K, doesn’t find plenty of them around which meet all other criteria. Most of them out there are 1/100m.

WiFi: Dual band (2.5 & 5) & 2T2R

HDMI port: ver 2.1 or 2.0a or at least 2.0 (so should be the cable you use. Ver 2.1 cable costs 2300 where as 2.0 cost 300)

BLUETOOTH: 4.x + HS

REMOTE: voice Remote but most often these don’t work well. But a Logitech Bluetooth mouse (maybe Rs.1500 or so) for easy operation as well as it works from long distances.

SUMMARY:

4K display <- HDMI 2.1cable (to 2.1 or 2.0 ports on both ends) <- Atmos & dts X capable AVR <- HDMI 2.1cable <- Confirmed TV box (android with kodi latest version app installed) with hdmi port of 2.0 and above <- (to a usb 3.0 port) USB 3.1 or 3.0 Pendrive <- (uncompressed) uhd rip

If all these are met, we might get contentment!
Hi.. If you did find one keep us posted (apart from Nvidia shield of course).

Unable to decide which one to go for, went ahead for dual booting my existing box with libreelec. Though I’m not a techie, tried my hands on with the help of below tutorial...

Yes...succeeded to an extent. First I will tell you what I could accomplish.

Able to pass through lossless audio i.e Dolby TrueHD & DTS-master HD which I could never with same kodi 17.2 on android. That’s because it showed only 3options (AC3, Dolby 5.1, DTS) but not other 2 (trueHD & MasterHD) which is showing now and thus enabled. I realised this after seeing the 2nd video (Minix Neo U9-H review at 09:12mins) posted by efernand1 at the very beginning of the thread.

Now coming to what I couldn’t accomplish:

1.Still unable to get Dolby Atmos, though the rip,avr and speakers support it.
2.Lost few functions in remote but manageable. 3.Bluetooth mouse stopped working.
4.Wifi gone, of course it doesn’t matter except for clock as i stream only on firestick.

Except for Atmos, rest of them doesn’t matter much. Hope someone could help me in this regard.

I was getting Atmos but couldn’t distinguish...maybe because speakers are too close to each other! Realised after removing surround channels (mine 5.1.2) and playing Atmos demo amaze & leaf trailers!! Sorry for those concerned.

Hi.. If you did find one keep us posted (apart from Nvidia shield of course).

I asked their suggestion about it on kodi forum. And one of the guru of their platform (WRXTASY) suggest me following configuration:

"Buy the ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition (click). It already has all the parts.
If you want it to run Kodi a bit faster, also buy a 16GB eMMC flash module. Does not matter if it is a Linux or Android eMMC.

Then simple add (from somewhere else) a quality USB mini receiver dongle, Plug N Play - MINIX A2 lite keyboard remote. It's keyboard comes in really handy after long term Kodi usage for keyboard shortcuts."

This set looks not so expensive and this guy know these chipsets very well, I guess it's worth to try.

Any ideas or experience with this ODROID?

DOLBY ATMOS: Any box with
Amlogic S905x2 or S912 chip
2gb ram +16gb rom

DOLBY ATMOS + 4K: Any box with
Amlogic S905x2 or S912 chip
4gb ram +32gb rom (3gb might do but may not have a smooth playback!)
Hdmi 2.0 port
USB 3.0 port

Dual boot it to coreelac kodi 17.2 or above if not supported on android out of the box. How to dual boot was shown in YouTube video I shared above for S912 chipset. Similar tutorials can be found for S905X2 but no hands on experience as I don’t own one.

These affordable boxes can stream only when using android and mostly it’s a compromised experience due to bad UI / older app versions. But if your box is booted to coreelac or wanted a good steaming experience... in either case, get a firestick 4K or something like that.

So a Rs.5k (for better spec) android box + Rs.6k Firestick 4K (costs less during sale) or a Rs.20k+ nvidia shield which serves both well!

PS: Above recommendations hold good while using a projector or a non smart tv. If using avr with a smart tv especially android tv, you should be having kodi and streaming apps in your tv preinstalled or can be downloaded from the respective App Store. Try them first and if it doesn’t serve the purpose, only then consider the above recommendations.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back