Dolby atmos from PC?

edjamesx

I am upgrading my PC . I was using the PC for playing movies && music. I was using a 7.1 sound card in my old pc for sending DTS signal to my av receiver which was working perfectly. I have connected with SPDIF cable from sound to receiver for sound.

Since I am planning to build new PC , how do i send Dolby atmos to my receiver. Does it need any special sound card. Would it be possible to send Dolby atmos sound + 4k video together from PC to receiver , similar to blue ray player. Please suggest any GPU card /sound card for dolby atmos.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

May be I am wrong as I dont use a PC anymore. Sound can be directed through HDMI right? AVR should be able to decode that. Any recent sound card settings should support that.

You can connect your PC to AVR through HDMI. Get the Dolby Atmos app on the PC and set it up. It should work fine.
You will be able to bitstream True HD Atmos to AVR. The App has some Demos as well .

I use PC to AVR to watch movies ( using HDMI from a Nvidia 1080 Ti card) using pot player, and 7.1 audio plays but since my AVR plays only DTS HD master audio cannot comment on Atmos, but it should work

Like mentioned above download Dolby Atmos app from windows store. Its free (Atmos for HTPC) , only if you want Atmos for Headphones there is a cost. Once installed set the sound profile to Dolby atmos for HTPC by right click on the speaker icon in the notification area. It works just fine after that.

I am upgrading my PC . I was using the PC for playing movies && music. I was using a 7.1 sound card in my old pc for sending DTS signal to my av receiver which was working perfectly. I have connected with SPDIF cable from sound to receiver for sound.

Since I am planning to build new PC , how do i send Dolby atmos to my receiver. Does it need any special sound card. Would it be possible to send Dolby atmos sound + 4k video together from PC to receiver , similar to blue ray player. Please suggest any GPU card /sound card for dolby atmos.

You wont need a 7.1 sound card , HDMI cable from PC to receiver should be good. However if you intend to stream 4k60 content they recommend using at least a Nvidia 1060 card. If you are not going to game you can get an used 1060/1070 at about 10-14k.

Also to add, you will need configure the player you intend to use (I use Pot Player as recommended by few FMs and MPC-HC) to passthrough audio as is. There are a few articles online which will help you passthrough atmos.

You wont need a 7.1 sound card , HDMI cable from PC to receiver should be good. However if you intend to stream 4k60 content they recommend using at least a Nvidia 1060 card. If you are not going to game you can get an used 1060/1070 at about 10-14k.

Also to add, you will need configure the player you intend to use (I use Pot Player as recommended by few FMs and MPC-HC) to passthrough audio as is. There are a few articles online which will help you passthrough atmos.
Will this do HDR as well ? How good is the Nvidias output compared to a dedicated blu rays player ?

Will this do HDR as well ? How good is the Nvidias output compared to a dedicated blu rays player ?
Yup this does HDR as well, i have not owned any high end blu ray players to compare against but I would say out of the box the Blu Ray players would fare much better as they would come well calibrated as against needing to find a good BR player software in windows. However the PC would allow you to tinker with the video settings a lot more

Thanks that helps. Does this 1060/1070 NVidia cards handle sound via hdmi as well. Does it support Dolby atmos?.

Thanks that helps. Does this 1060/1070 NVidia cards handle sound via hdmi as well. Does it support Dolby atmos?.
Yup they do , dont think its card specific. A dedicated graphics cards will help you stream 4k content without stuttering in smoother manner and provides you with a decent amount of options for video calibration too.

IMO, if buying Nvidia cards, buy atleast 1xxx cards.. older cards cant do HDR.
Make sure you have a good HDMI cable. These are the problems that I faced when setting up my PC. ( I am yet to try atmos audio on it)

Last edited:

Better to get odroid n2. Install coreelec. It plays everything except 3d and dolby vision.

Using my Intel NUC (i3) and Gaming PC (GTX 1080ti) to successfully pass Atmos to my AVR. You need the Atmos App from the windows store to get Netflix (or PC Games) to work but I use Media Player Classic to bitstream locally stored content. No issues.

My HTPC does DD/DTS/TruHD/MA for local files. But, how to play OTT content from HTPC? NF, APV, etc are browser based right?

NF needs the Windows app to output Atmos. Prime does not allow Atmos unless you have a firestick. Local files as I mentioned I use MPC with a few basic settings to bitstream

All , I have purchased NVIDIA GROFORCE 1650 , and DD ,DTS works fine. It support Dolby atmos as well. When i connect with my denon receiver all works fine. Thanks all for suggestions.

Also how to get 5.1 surround from Amazon prime from windows ?. Currently getting only 2 channel sound?.

Also when i connect my pc to TV , it sends only 2 channel , where i hooked up my tv to my old amp with SPDIF cable ( my old amp dont have hdmi in) . So finally i get only 2 channel in my AMP when i connect through TV.

PC --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver // Get only 2 channel

My Xbox one x works fine - with the same type of connection. its able to send multichannel through my TV.

Xbox one x --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver // Gets multichannel (5.1) surround.

Any suggestions here ?.

As mentioned in my earlier post, Amazon prime does not support multi channel audio on the Windows app. I have been annoyed by this fact too.

Back