Dolby atmos from PC?

As mentioned in my earlier post, Amazon prime does not support multi channel audio on the Windows app. I have been annoyed by this fact too.
oh sad... :confused::confused: did not know it. i set it up my pc for my HT dedicated room.
My xbox one x plays prime videos with DD cleanly , but i kept xbox in my living room . everytime need to carry my xbox to my dedicated HTroom for watching prime movies with DD. That's a pain ..

oh sad... :confused::confused: did not know it. i set it up my pc for my HT dedicated room.
My xbox one x plays prime videos with DD cleanly , but i kept xbox in my living room . everytime need to carry my xbox to my dedicated HTroom for watching prime movies with DD. That's a pain
You can use the AP app if your TV supports, else A firestick is your best option if AP is your primary streaming choice

You can use the AP app if your TV supports, else A firestick is your best option if AP is your primary streaming choice
Thanks.
I do gaming primarily on TV ,because it has 4K. My HT room has 1080 projector && did not like it playing it with projector . Thats the reason i kept my xbox in living room.

All , I have purchased NVIDIA GROFORCE 1650 , and DD ,DTS works fine. It support Dolby atmos as well. When i connect with my denon receiver all works fine. Thanks all for suggestions.

Also how to get 5.1 surround from Amazon prime from windows ?. Currently getting only 2 channel sound?.

Also when i connect my pc to TV , it sends only 2 channel , where i hooked up my tv to my old amp with SPDIF cable ( my old amp dont have hdmi in) . So finally i get only 2 channel in my AMP when i connect through TV.

PC --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver // Get only 2 channel

My Xbox one x works fine - with the same type of connection. its able to send multichannel through my TV.

Xbox one x --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver // Gets multichannel (5.1) surround.

Any suggestions here ?.

As far as I know , multi channel audio over SPDIF/TOSLink will be a compressed/encoded stream unlike HDMI due to bandwidth constraints. Is your receiver showing that a decoder like DD/DTS is being used?

As far as I know , multi channel audio over SPDIF/TOSLink will be a compressed/encoded stream unlike HDMI due to bandwidth constraints. Is your receiver showing that a decoder like DD/DTS is being used?
I have read from forums its Nvidia Driver issue which allows only 2 channel sound when connected to TV.
When connected
PC --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver ONKYO \\Get only 2 channel

Xbox one x --> HDMI --> Samsung TV --> optical out -->optical cable --> My Old receiver ONKYO //Works abosultely fine
PC --> HDMI --> Denon new receiver //Works absolutely fine with all DD ,DTS , Atmos ..etc.

Weirdly now My receiver detects multichannel PCM-in from PC hdmi source instead of Dolby digital / or DTS . Also i felt the sound was too flat.

Is it possible to do bitstream instead of PCM from PC?. My xbox one x sends in bitstresm which working good...

Weirdly now My receiver detects multichannel PCM-in from PC hdmi source instead of Dolby digital / or DTS . Also i felt the sound was too flat.

Is it possible to do bitstream instead of PCM from PC?. My xbox one x sends in bitstresm which working good...
Are you seeing this while watching/listening to DTS content? Or stereo content?

Last edited:
Are you seeing this while watching/listening to DTS content? Or stereo content?
From windows 10 its been set to Dolby Digital / and also from my mediap player also sending the Doly digital stream. But AV receiver shows multihannel -in pcm .

How have u set DD in Windows? Also, what kind of content is this showing up for? If u play a DTS encoded file does the AVR still show PCM?

How have u set DD in Windows? Also, what kind of content is this showing up for? If u play a DTS encoded file does the AVR still show PCM?
Yeah i have set DD in Windows.
If i play a DTS encoded file still it shows multihannel -in pcm from receiver.

Yeah i have set DD in Windows.
If i play a DTS encoded file still it shows multihannel -in pcm from receiver.
Seems like some of your output codecs are not correctly set to Bitstream. I recommend using Media Player Classic for video and JRiver for Audio.

Recommended u keep windows set to 5.1 (Dont force DD)

Seems like some of your output codecs are not correctly set to Bitstream. I recommend using Media Player Classic for video and JRiver for Audio.

Recommended u keep windows set to 5.1 (Dont force DD)
Ok thanks. Will try this out. Currently using Kodi player which dont have option for bitstream.
Does Media Player Classic have bitstream out option?.

Ok thanks. Will try this out. Currently using Kodi player which dont have option for bitstream.
Yes, I have been using it for almost 10 years to output DTS n DD (Atmos and DTS X too, of.late, since i got a capable AVR) lossless audio from my PC to the AVR.

It is strange. it should have bitstream in Kodi settings.
Hope u are using desktop pc with Graphics card and checked the Kodi setting in Advanced/ Expert mode.
Check the link below if you are not aware about it.
( Enable passthrough )

1200px-Settings_-_Audio_Output.png

Last edited:
Thanks ,Will check this again with kodi
I tried above options , now My receiver is able to get 5.1 / DD ..etc from both Kodi and Media player classic.
How ever i felt the sound signature is very flat .
When i was playing movie from my old pc with spdif-out the sound was great. But with NVidia hdmi out (from new pc) , the sound is very flat.

Also while playing from xbox one x-with hdmi out also sounds good.

Is there any other settings needed from pc?.

I tried above options , now My receiver is able to get 5.1 / DD ..etc from both Kodi and Media player classic.
How ever i felt the sound signature is very flat .
When i was playing movie from my old pc with spdif-out the sound was great. But with NVidia hdmi out (from new pc) , the sound is very flat.

Also while playing from xbox one x-with hdmi out also sounds good.

Is there any other settings needed from pc?.
There are few more option u have to select eg - output device as waspi ( multiple options available ) and few more work around.
Down to that u have to select the capability of your receiver.Hope u selected those.

There are few more option u have to select eg - output device as waspi ( multiple options available ) and few more work around.
Down to that u have to select the capability of your receiver.Hope u selected those.
yeah i set all these settings .. but still feel the sound signature is flat. My old pc has s dedicated sound card which was sounding good... Could it be the reason ?.
I am planning to add dedicated sound card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy PCIe RX 7.1 Sound Card with High Performance Headphone Amp

Is there any better Sound card / Or any sound card exists that supports Dolby atmos ?. As per i have seen in forums , the dolby atmos supported only over hdmi.

As u mentioned here, i believe u are using hdmi directly to AVR !!.
I was giving suggestion assuming that your graphics card is installed in your PC and through HDMI cable it is connected to your AVR.Is not that case in your setup ?
As per i have seen in forums , the dolby atmos supported only over hdmi
Yes thats true !! afaik.
All , I have purchased NVIDIA GROFORCE 1650 , and DD ,DTS works fine. It support Dolby atmos as well. When i connect with my denon receiver all works fine. Thanks all for suggestions.
Here u mentioned that u have purchased gpu!!!

am i missing something from your chain of components ?

Let us know your pc setup and how are u using ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back