Dolby Atmos

alekhp

Hi HiFi experts....I would like to set up an HT Room in my new home which is under construction. The room size is 12ft*17ft. My plan is to buy an AVR having Dolby Atmos facility. Denon /Onkyo 444. Kindly share your views in this confusion.[emoji1]

Just one suggestion..
You can buy many Recievers later also.

But during construction please keep space for atmos 7.4.2 configuration.

Close to 50 Atmos titles available on Blu-ray world wide, including a couple of Indian movies (Mary Kom, ABCD2). List of BDs with Dolby Atmos - Blu-ray Forum

If your room is 17 feet long, place your seating about 1/3rd of room length from the back wall for the smoothest frequency response.

The ear-level layer of speakers can be 5.1 or 7.1. If doing 7, then put a pair of speakers to the sides of the listeners and another pair spread out on the back wall.

Currently available Atmos receivers can do 4 or 2 height speakers. If doing 4 height speakers above you, then put the front heights and rear heights at roughly 45 degrees elevation. If doing 2 heights, best place is directly above the listening area (or slightly forward).

If set up properly, you should be able to get good separation between sounds around you vs sounds above you.

I suggest that buy a receiver which compatible of decoding both both Dolby Atmos &
DTS X so that u can be future proof .Who knows which format wins!!!!

Hi Alekhp,
I am in the similar conundrum and am planning my dedicated HT setup. Room size is pretty similar to yours. Suggest a 7.1.4 setup. The ceiling speakers would cater to that sweet spot which would be at at distance 2/3rd from the screen and you can still include one row of seats behind when entertaining additional guests.
If your requirement is not immediate, suggest you shortlist a few receivers and audition speakers for the set up. Spend a lot of time with the speaker auditions. When the final month or so remains, i would suggest picking up the AV receiver then as a lot of changes do get incorporated in terms of formats supported, wifi compatibility with newer products, etc.
In short prepare your wishlist, audition speakers and take the plunge just before installation.

Hi Alekhp,
I am in the similar conundrum and am planning my dedicated HT setup. Room size is pretty similar to yours. Suggest a 7.1.4 setup. The ceiling speakers would cater to that sweet spot which would be at at distance 2/3rd from the screen and you can still include one row of seats behind when entertaining additional guests.
If your requirement is not immediate, suggest you shortlist a few receivers and audition speakers for the set up. Spend a lot of time with the speaker auditions. When the final month or so remains, i would suggest picking up the AV receiver then as a lot of changes do get incorporated in terms of formats supported, wifi compatibility with newer products, etc.
In short prepare your wishlist, audition speakers and take the plunge just before installation.
Hi.....thanks for the valuable reply. I have auditioned Onkyo Atmos 5.1.2 setup recently. Heard that Denon Atmos AVR coming this month. Is polk audio speakers enough for this setup?.... I have to complete within 3 months .

Hi.....thanks for the valuable reply. I have auditioned Onkyo Atmos 5.1.2 setup recently. Heard that Denon Atmos AVR coming this month. Is polk audio speakers enough for this setup?.... I have to complete within 3 months .

You are welcome. With regard to your query, were you referring to the Polk Audio speaker setup for your entire HT set up or only with reference to the ceilings. Either ways, polk audio speakers are very good value for money, so if you like the sound of them, you wont go wrong by picking them up.
As for ceiling atmos speakers, Dolby requires certain specs to be met with regard to dispersion of sound. I have looked at a few forums to collate info on the ceiling speakers with regard to brands and models to audition. General consensus is that the ceiling speakers need not be state of the art to acheive what ATMOS intends to deliver as they are more back ground rather than what your main LCR speakers deliver. Having said that, Tannoy, Deftech and Speakercraft found favour in some of the international forums that i checked on. Havent looked at the options from Polk Audio for the ceiling speakers, so cant positively comment on them. Hope i managed to address your query.
3months will fly by. Wish you the very best and do post pics of the completed set up.

You are welcome. With regard to your query, were you referring to the Polk Audio speaker setup for your entire HT set up or only with reference to the ceilings. Either ways, polk audio speakers are very good value for money, so if you like the sound of them, you wont go wrong by picking them up.
As for ceiling atmos speakers, Dolby requires certain specs to be met with regard to dispersion of sound. I have looked at a few forums to collate info on the ceiling speakers with regard to brands and models to audition. General consensus is that the ceiling speakers need not be state of the art to acheive what ATMOS intends to deliver as they are more back ground rather than what your main LCR speakers deliver. Having said that, Tannoy, Deftech and Speakercraft found favour in some of the international forums that i checked on. Havent looked at the options from Polk Audio for the ceiling speakers, so cant positively comment on them. Hope i managed to address your query.
3months will fly by. Wish you the very best and do post pics of the completed set up.
I will update ....once its started.....

I am planning to buy Polk TSx 330 towers and Polk DSW550 subwoofer as initial purchase. What is your opinion about Klipsch R10sw subwoofer.kindly provide direction in this confusion.[emoji1]

I am planning to buy Polk TSx 330 towers and Polk DSW550 subwoofer as initial purchase. What is your opinion about Klipsch R10sw subwoofer.kindly provide direction in this confusion.[emoji1]

Hi Alekhp, Between the two you have listed i would go for the Polk DSW550. Though if you can up the budget for the Sub, definitely give for the SVS PB1000 or the SVS SB1000 an audition. Either of these will serve you very well for HT purposes. Try and demo the SVS and you will forget the DSW.

Hi Alekhp, Between the two you have listed i would go for the Polk DSW550. Though if you can up the budget for the Sub, definitely give for the SVS PB1000 or the SVS SB1000 an audition. Either of these will serve you very well for HT purposes. Try and demo the SVS and you will forget the DSW.
Thanks.....Since its a one time investment for me......I am searching for the best within the budget.....if SVS is the best than Polk ...definitely I will ...[emoji5]

Hi....what about the Velodyne impact 10. Can I use instead Polk DSW.

Hi....what about the Velodyne impact 10. Can I use instead Polk DSW.

The Velodyne Impact 10 is a good Sub too. Before finalizing i have 3 words for you... demo.. demo.. demo. You will only understand the differences between each once you do a demo of the speakers/subwoofer. To ensure not too many variables, use a track or a section of a movie that you are familiar with and use that to demo the Equipment.
My bet is still with the SVS, Velodyne makes good subs but more so in their higher model range.
Any of these subs can be used instead of the Polk DSW. Finalize a budget and try to work within the budget. Ideally you want the best performance for the least expense, since that may not always be the case, balance between the how much you are willing to spend and the best performance that it will buy you.

Let the discussion be on dolby atmos rather on buying subs..

As per my knowledge to play atmos movies we need Receivers capable to decode and play movies. The price of it is much more around 80 thousand plus.

Plus we have another new audio format AERO 3d which is supposed to be much better then atmos..

I have atmos and aero demonstration blurray disc but playing them in dts hd master 5.1 ch.

So it will take some time for all these new audio formats to settle down.,

At present the 5.1 or 7.1 setup with dts hd master or dolby true hd are the winners.

But if price is not an issue then no stoppage...

R.s

Plus we have another new audio format AERO 3d which is supposed to be much better then atmos..
Auro 3D (not aero) is a channel based system for consumers that is based on the theatrical Auro 11.1 format. It cannot do object-based rendering the way Atmos can. Having less capability doesn't make it "much better" than Atmos.

Yes agreed ..Atmos is object based and Auro 3d is channel based.. Technologically Atmos is superior(since object based)
Auro 3d is the pioneer to introduce 3D sound in films (Movie -Red Tails). Only limited blurays available in Auro (mostly music Discs not movies).

I u want future proof audio formats (Dolby Atmos/DTS X/ Auro 3D) in AVR then you may need to buy Denon AVR of model X4200W or X5200w or x7200w or Marantz SR 7010 but however you will get Auro 3d only through a paid firmware upgrade.
DTS X will be available through a free firmware upgrade .
The above models are very costly starting approx. from Rs.1.25 lakhs I think.

Auro 3D (not aero)
hi,
yes its Auro,,...

The basic concepts of both technologies are pretty much the same. Their hardware implementations and speaker placement are different, but the goal of both is the same: more speakers for better and more immersive surround sound.

Atmos for HT has all of there speakers placed on the ceiling(5.1.2 or 4),whereas Auro has them placed in layers on the walls above the traditional main and surround locations. Then a single called -voice of god- channel is installed on the ceiling in the center of the listening area.

It cannot do object-based rendering the way Atmos can
Auro software tools do work in an object-oriented fashion also.

r.s

Yes agreed ..Atmos is object based and Auro 3d is channel based.. Technologically Atmos is superior(since object based)
Auro 3d is the pioneer to introduce 3D sound in films (Movie -Red Tails). Only limited blurays available in Auro (mostly music Discs not movies).

I u want future proof audio formats (Dolby Atmos/DTS X/ Auro 3D) in AVR then you may need to buy Denon AVR of model X4200W or X5200w or x7200w or Marantz SR 7010 but however you will get Auro 3d only through a paid firmware upgrade.
DTS X will be available through a free firmware upgrade .
The above models are very costly starting approx. from Rs.1.25 lakhs I think.
I have auditioned Denon X1200 new AVR with Dolby Atmos (7.2).price is around 45k. ,:). DTS X firmware will be available soon ....nice performance. Suitable for a budget home theatre setup.....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back