Dolby Digital plus on 5.1.2 (Atmos) speaker setup

Hahah missed this post. Yeah for my ears OTT (Netflix,Amazon and hot star) is absolute garbage compared to Bluray contents or the remux files. Majority of the contents sound thin, compressed and the height effects are pathetic in atmos contents. I have tested it with shield,shied pro,PS4,Sony bdp4500 and Sony x 700. I find it so horrible that I even unplug my avr and watch most OTT contents only using the TV speakers. Tomorrow Wars had some good sound mix but the center Chanel was to weak. Don’t have to take my word for it. Just play the same movie with an atmos mix in OTT and compare the same with blu ray. You will never go back to OTT again.
A lot melts down to how much content you consume and also convenience to access the content :)
If its about a Movie per week or may be 2 Movies a month, its worth waiting for Lossless format files and just avoid OTT content.

Hahah missed this post. Yeah for my ears OTT (Netflix,Amazon and hot star) is absolute garbage compared to Bluray contents or the remux files. Majority of the contents sound thin, compressed and the height effects are pathetic in atmos contents. I have tested it with shield,shied pro,PS4,Sony bdp4500 and Sony x 700. I find it so horrible that I even unplug my avr and watch most OTT contents only using the TV speakers. Tomorrow Wars had some good sound mix but the center Chanel was to weak. Don’t have to take my word for it. Just play the same movie with an atmos mix in OTT and compare the same with blu ray. You will never go back to OTT again.
Are you sure it’s not a level matching or configuration related issue?

OTT atmos uses lossy but reasonably high bit rate compression.
BR uses lossless.

Like with stereo, a select few will notice a small but distinct difference on very high resolution systems.
Most users however will find both the same.

It would however be very unusual for anyone to find the former atrociously bad - or as large a difference as you are saying it is.

BR uses lossless.

Like with stereo, a select few will notice a small but distinct difference on very high resolution systems.

It would however be very unusual for anyone to find the former atrociously bad - or as large a difference as you are saying it is.
I was about to mention this
For an average HT system probably the difference in sound quality would be very marginal.
With more sophisticated and quality setups, the sound quality in OTT streaming is not "very" bad. Its just not comparable to Lossless.
Recent Atmos content on Netflix and Apple TV is surprisingly good.

A lot melts down to how much content you consume and also convenience to access the content :)
If its about a Movie per week or may be 2 Movies a month, its worth waiting for Lossless format files and just avoid OTT content.
I only stated about the audio quality compared to Blu ray.

BR uses lossless.

No configuration issue. OTT audio sounds compressed, thin compared to Bluray file that’s all. I make this statement strongly after comparing using multiple devices. Tested with shield 2017, shield pro 2019, Sony bdp4500, Sony x 700 and Ps4 just to be sure. I started this HT hobby by watching all movies only in blu ray and still continue to use only blu ray remux files that are 40-80gb in size. I am 100% certain it’s the content that sounds thin, compressed and not my system fault or any mis-configuration.

I was about to mention this
For an average HT system probably the difference in sound quality would be very marginal.
With more sophisticated and quality setups, the sound quality in OTT streaming is not "very" bad. Its just not comparable to Lossless.
Recent Atmos content on Netflix and Apple TV is surprisingly good.
Yeah, that’s what I meant.
In particular, the atmos as well as hdr implantation on atv + packs quite a punch.

Most of the newer content on netflix is also pretty darned good on audio - although some amount of video artifacting in dark scenes can be seen which doesn’t seem to be the case on ATV+.. Probably going OT here though
I only stated about the audio quality compared to Blu ray.

No configuration issue. OTT audio sounds compressed, thin compared to Bluray file that’s all. I make this statement strongly after comparing using multiple devices. Tested with shield 2017, shield pro 2019, Sony bdp4500, Sony x 700 and Ps4 just to be sure. I started this HT hobby by watching all movies only in blu ray and still continue to use only blu ray remux files that are 40-80gb in size. I am 100% certain it’s the content that sounds thin, compressed and not my system fault or any mis-configuration.
Fair enough.
Although OTT shouldn’t sound thin or bad per se.
Technically, there would be some loss of detail vs BR/remux although I personally don’t tend to notice it with movies ..
But again, I don’t find a difference between 44.1 khz sampling and 96khz either in stereo .. :)

Anyway, as long as you have found what works for you!

Yeah, that’s what I meant.
In particular, the atmos as well as hdr implantation on atv + packs quite a punch.

Most of the newer content on netflix is also pretty darned good on audio - although some amount of video artifacting in dark scenes can be seen which doesn’t seem to be the case on ATV+.. Probably going OT here though

Fair enough.
Although OTT shouldn’t sound thin or bad per se.
Technically, there would be some loss of detail vs BR/remux although I personally don’t tend to notice it with movies ..
But again, I don’t find a difference between 44.1 khz sampling and 96khz either in stereo .. :)

Anyway, as long as you have found what works for you!
Yes many are comfortable with OTT and since I have done multiple A/B testing I am just sharing as per my ears observation which might benefit few like me. Only when you compare you will know what you are missing. Man of steel,Pacific rim and aqua man are some of my reference materials. I had the original blu ray disk for man of steel, pacific rim and also pirated blu ray disk for both the movies to check if there where any difference I could hear. Also have the remux files for all these three movies which are also available in OTT. When I played the action sequences from these movies in OTT they had no dynamics compared to the blu ray content. If I directly watched them in OTT I may have enjoyed but since I have a reference to compare it with on the same chain I can clearly feel the difference and hence such an opinion with OTT. For sure in my chain it feels compressed and lacks the dynamics which defeats the purpose of an AVR set up. I tested on dynamics so much that I even ended up bursting my ears. Very sad indeed cause many enjoy loud sound for years and burst their ears but here I am just started this hobby and bursted my ears spending to much time testing dynamics in my system.

Yes many are comfortable with OTT and since I have done multiple A/B testing I am just sharing as per my ears observation which might benefit few like me. Only when you compare you will know what you are missing. Man of steel,Pacific rim and aqua man are some of my reference materials. I had the original blu ray disk for man of steel, pacific rim and also pirated blu ray disk for both the movies to check if there where any difference I could hear. Also have the remux files for all these three movies which are also available in OTT. When I played the action sequences from these movies in OTT they had no dynamics compared to the blu ray content. If I directly watched them in OTT I may have enjoyed but since I have a reference to compare it with on the same chain I can clearly feel the difference and hence such an opinion with OTT. For sure in my chain it feels compressed and lacks the dynamics which defeats the purpose of an AVR set up. I tested on dynamics so much that I even ended up bursting my ears. Very sad indeed cause many enjoy loud sound for years and burst their ears but here I am just started this hobby and bursted my ears spending to much time testing dynamics in my system.
Sorry to hear that man.. I do consciously try to keep playback levels as low as possible nbut it’s easy to get tempted to pump it up so I guess I know where you are coming from…

Specifically on remuxes vs OTT, While my frequency of downloads has gone down quite a bit, I do at times still indulge :)
With Internet speeds being what they are now, a 70-80Gig DL is anyway a quick grab.

It may be worth noting that my back to back tests were more from a video POV so I can’t claim to have done any critical audio comparison on this - Although I did not find the audio to be noticeably different - as in if the difference were big , I suppose I would have noticed.

Having said that, the volume levels for these b2b tests would have been at 70db (i.e. -10db from reference levels) so subtle differences in dynamics would not be very apparent

It may be worth noting that my back to back tests were more from a video POV so I can’t claim to have done any critical audio comparison on this - Although I did not find the audio to be noticeably different - as in if the difference were big , I suppose I would have noticed.

Having said that, the volume levels for these b2b tests would have been at 70db (i.e. -10db from reference levels) so subtle differences in dynamics would not be very apparent
Ok what about clarity? Did you feel OTT and blu ray are the same? And also in your tests where the contents same? If so which movie and which scene? I’ll check and see. Also did you not notice the difference with spl? For example same movie will have 5-6db variation and you will need to bump up the volume by 5-6db or some cases 10-15 dB to get the dynamics compared to the blu ray file. Yeah Amen to internet speeds. I don’t even download now days. I directly stream the blu ray remux files that are 70-80gigs through kodi using a service called real debrid. If interested let me know I’ll guide you how to stream blu ray remux files or ignore if you already know or not interested

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back