Dolby True HD: how to play

Spidey

I was thinking what settings to use in Dolby True HD discs :

Linear PCM
Bitstream

I think you need HDMI ver 1.x for transferring the data and SPDIF wont work here.

pls comment..

also recommend good Dolby TrueHD titles.

what components do you have in yoru system? Source/AVR etc.

Linear PCM
Bitstream

I think you need HDMI ver 1.x for transferring the data and SPDIF wont work here.

pls comment..

Linear PCM
Bitstream

pls comment..

As per my understanding, If you are transmitting PCM, you can do it over spdif. This can be connected to pretty much any AVR. For bitstream, you need HDMI and decoder at the other end in your receiver. Experts please verify.

Source : Sony PS3

Reciver: Denon 2309

I presume both are able to decode true hd.

what the ps3 says is linear pcm is the ps3 doing the decoding and sending the data to reciever. Bit stream data is decoded by the AVR. am i correct?

I get following display in AVR :

in linear PCM : avr shows Multi Ch in
in bitstream : Dolby digital( or the codec)

thnak

Quote :
Transport

"Connecting a Dolby TrueHD source to a receiver requires a digital link capable of transporting either the encoded bitstream or the unpacked Linear PCM audio data (18 Mbit/s max for a Blu-ray source). HDMI 1.0 (and higher) can transport multichannel PCM-audio, and therefore can transport an unpacked TrueHD audiotrack. An HDMI 1.3 (or higher) link is required to transport Dolby TrueHD in bitstream form.[1]

S/PDIF cannot carry Dolby TrueHD due to bandwidth limitations, as S/PDIF is limited to 5.1 channels of compressed discrete audio. When using S/PDIF, a device such as a Blu-ray Disc player will automatically send the Dolby Digital audio."

Last edited:
I think you can't do it over spdif, as that can take only 2 channel pcm at max. For more than 2 channels, you need HDMI.

regards

As per my understanding, If you are transmitting PCM, you can do it over spdif. This can be connected to pretty much any AVR. For bitstream, you need HDMI and decoder at the other end in your receiver. Experts please verify.

In your setup to enjoy Dolby True Hd you have to select Linear Pcm as the option on the PS3 instead of Bitstream because Ps3 is not capable of sending High Resoulution Audio in the bitstream form to an external reciever, whereas if you select Linear Pcm in the Ps3 menu then the Ps3 would decode the high resolution audio within itself and send it over the HDMI to a compatable amp, which can take it as Multichannel PCM over HDMI and In your case your amp is a capable one. Whereas in the other case when you try to send the bitstream signal from PS3 to your amp, what you get is Dolby Digital which is a lossy format in comparison with Dolby True HD. However the newer Generation of Players from the likes of Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer and Samsung are all capable of Bitstreaming HD Audio over HDMI to a compatable Reciever.

I found that sound quality is better in bitstream mode.
Does this mean the Denon decodes better than the PS3..

I presume that True HD mode is avlbl only on Blu rays..

thanks

I found that sound quality is better in bitstream mode.
Does this mean the Denon decodes better than the PS3..

I presume that True HD mode is avlbl only on Blu rays..

thanks

It depends on your setup, to hear a considerable difference from the Lossless format over the lossy one like dolby digital or dts you need to have good speakers otherwise they both sound the same. With my personal experience I have gained this knowledge over time, earlier I was using Wharfedale Speakers setup with Onkyo Nr705 and Now I have upgraded to Polk Audio RtiA setup with Onkyo NR905, I personally felt a drastic change in sound quality with the Lossless Audio this time (Offcourse Better) and the difference was much more noticable. There is slight volume difference in Lossless format which is towards the lower side with higher Dynamic range as compared with the Lossy format which is decoded via our amps.

And Yes True HD or Lossless Stream is only available on Blue Ray and HD DVD which is a dead format now.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back