downfiring subs(carpet vs. harwood floor)

manu4panjab

yesterday i have read many forums about downfiring sub placement some says place a tile under it(murali also suggested this) some say place a piece of rug or carpet under it and some say decoupling it what is decoupling ,please advice

Hey Manu,

I would almost ALWAYS spike a sub into the ground or platform. It will let the sub driver do its job without wasting energy into vibrating the cabinet itself.

Carpet and a flat surface will both have their own sound. I would suggest you try both ways. With the carpet, the bass develops in a softer more diffuse energy by the time the bass waves hit your listening position. With a harder surface, you will have a cleaner more accurate response, but the sound integration might or might not be to your liking.

Either way, you will have to judge the sound yourself and see where your tastes lie.

Best thing would be to have yourself in the listening position and have a friend tweak the crossover frequency and gain. Go according to what sounds best to your ears and forget about the manual or speaker specs say.

Hope that helps out :)

Hoon chak de phatey!

PS:- Try this...spike the subwoofer into a wooden platform. Have the platform made such that there is an inch of extension from the edge of the subwoofer in each direction.

If the subwoofer footprint is 10 by 10 inches, the platform should be 12 by 12 inches.

Last edited:
All along when I used the REL studios, always placed a slightly larger footprint unpolished marble slab under it.
Found the bass fast, accurate and just perfect that way!
hence +1 to shaizada! :)

my front firing sub with a down firing bass port is placed directly on the marble floor. does that mean i should leave well alone ???

Hey Manu,

I would almost ALWAYS spike a sub into the ground or platform. It will let the sub driver do its job without wasting energy into vibrating the cabinet itself.

Carpet and a flat surface will both have their own sound. I would suggest you try both ways. With the carpet, the bass develops in a softer more diffuse energy by the time the bass waves hit your listening position. With a harder surface, you will have a cleaner more accurate response, but the sound integration might or might not be to your liking.

Either way, you will have to judge the sound yourself and see where your tastes lie.

Best thing would be to have yourself in the listening position and have a friend tweak the crossover frequency and gain. Go according to what sounds best to your ears and forget about the manual or speaker specs say.

Hope that helps out :)

Hoon chak de phatey!

PS:- Try this...spike the subwoofer into a wooden platform. Have the platform made such that there is an inch of extension from the edge of the subwoofer in each direction.

If the subwoofer footprint is 10 by 10 inches, the platform should be 12 by 12 inches.

please reply about this asap Best Way - Downfiring Subwoofer Tips | eHow.com

manu yaar: its been the marble way & have relished the fast, "quality bass" that was made this way. I wouldn't do it any other way though!

so bro - get a slab under your sub and give it a shot like shaizada too says! Then sit back - and loathe in the agile bass (if your subs are of such quality of course! ;) )

so yaar :) right now my sub is sitting on hardwood floor (floor tile) should i still need marble or granite slab under it

from the above mentioned forum i have raise my sub off the floor at 2feet height and man wow what a huge difference bass is (which was little bit muddy before) now more tight ,more impact :yahoo: :yahoo: :licklips: here are picture (,hope you like it,i use already built old tea table in my house(not in use these days) i stuck three pillows under it for decoupling and table height is 2feet )
DSC00447.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

my daughter mannat :licklips: :licklips: :licklips:
DSC00428.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

I am no expert but 2 feet, you are defeating the very purpose of a SUB. Try 6 inches if not 3,4. I am sure you will still appriciate the difference.

Also even I tried placing my sub both ways, on a carpeted surface (thin) on a thick carpeted surface and directly on the floor. And for me the first option...... thin carpet worked the best. The Base was much more subtle and pumping than on floor which gives too much of resonence.

from the above mentioned forum i have raise my sub off the floor at 2feet height and man wow what a huge difference bass is (which was little bit muddy before) now more tight ,more impact :yahoo: :yahoo: :licklips: here are picture (,hope you like it,i use already built old tea table in my house(not in use these days) i stuck three pillows under it for decoupling and table height is 2feet )
DSC00447.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

my daughter mannat :licklips: :licklips: :licklips:
DSC00428.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

hi manu4panjab,

your dotter mannath is very very cute!

what is the black labrador's name?

I am no expert but 2 feet, you are defeating the very purpose of a SUB. Try 6 inches if not 3,4. I am sure you will still appriciate the difference.

Also even I tried placing my sub both ways, on a carpeted surface (thin) on a thick carpeted surface and directly on the floor. And for me the first option...... thin carpet worked the best. The Base was much more subtle and pumping than on floor which gives too much of resonence.

i'll try :)

brother look at these sub trap its 18 and 22 inch high :) http://www.asc-home-theater.com/subtrap.htm

yaar manu-bhai....
I want to connect my Kraft 400 amplifier to your subwoofer (disconnecting the internal amp of the sub) and we'll see the bass quality... give me once chance!

the amp --> Link: http://www.hifivision.com/cd-players/8493-100-hours-ayon-cd1-3.html#post113123

what do you say - bro! ;)
we'll get some experts like suri also to witness the effect!

no problem bhai :D and did you read about subtrap on page 2 :) what you have to say about subtrap ,please reply

brother look at these sub trap its 18 and 22 inch high :) ASC Home Theater Acoustics: SubTrap

Bro Again I am no experty but Subtrap is somethign different then just to keep the woofer at a hight on a simple table. If you wanna go for Subtrap, which mosly we call Bass Trap then there are specific locations in the room where there bass traps can be placed that would absorve the resonence, keeping the sub at the floor itself.........experts can share more info on Bass traps...

When I owned a downfiring sub I used a MDF board as a base plate. You could also use granite. Without the base plate the carpet diffuses the sound. Have you tried Transforming the subwoofer into front firing setup and see if it make a difference. At that height wouldn't the sub get localised:rolleyes:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back