downfiring vs. ported sub??

The significant difference would be heard in a sealed subwoofer. Usually these are more expensive and need a more powerful amp than a conventinal ported one.

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

is downfiring subwoofer sounds as good as ported sub in a fully carpeted room or it has to be place on room with floor tiles

Down firing Vs Ported is a strange comparison ! did yo mean downfiring Vs Front firing or Ported vs sealed ?

a sub can be ported + downfiring

sorry sorry guys i mean to say downfiring vs. front firing so can we use downfiring sub in a fully carpeted room as front firing or not :)

i prefer a front firing one , i listed to both types before making my buying decision, a lot will depend on the acoustics of the room and the kind of enviorment the sub is being placed in along with what is the flooring it is being placed on.

sorry sorry guys i mean to say downfiring vs. front firing so can we use downfiring sub in a fully carpeted room as front firing or not :)

The Rel Strata I use is downfiring and sealed box, and is one of the best subs for music integrated to the fronts. It does not produce boom-boom bass but rather extends the frequency spectrum to the lowest.
My room is also carpeted but I use a slab of thick granite under the sub as generally recommended by Rel and some others. This makes the bass tighter compared to what comes out without the solid slab. Try out a marble or granite slab under the sub and if it shows results, leave it there.

Trust this helps.

cheers.
murali

I liked both ported and sealed...so I made a subwoofer with dual 8" and the enclosure in rectangular shape (really deep) with 1" MDF..I used a small port so that air can barely pass..the size of the port is adjusted in such a way that its almost sealed..but the pressure is released on precise time..its cool!!:) (Damping material used)

Ive had both front & down firing.Id say a sealed frontfiring driver would seem the way to go,but then again a ported downfiring one yields some nice lows also:)

The Rel Strata I use is downfiring and sealed box, and is one of the best subs for music integrated to the fronts. It does not produce boom-boom bass but rather extends the frequency spectrum to the lowest.
My room is also carpeted but I use a slab of thick granite under the sub as generally recommended by Rel and some others. This makes the bass tighter compared to what comes out without the solid slab. Try out a marble or granite slab under the sub and if it shows results, leave it there.

Trust this helps.

cheers.
murali

murali ji so i can carpet my whole floor and place sub on granite tile got it sir :)

to be honest i do not think it makes any difference below 50 Hz...but in the 50-150Hz region i have felt some part of the Bass to be directional (although theory says it below 150) and hence front firing being better from a soundstaging view
...but that very well could be perception.

In the end get the best sub (pair) you can afford to spend for...:cool:

to be honest i do not think it makes any difference below 50 Hz...but in the 50-150Hz region i have felt some part of the Bass to be directional (although theory says it below 150) and hence front firing being better from a soundstaging view
...but that very well could be perception.

In the end get the best sub (pair) you can afford to spend for...:cool:
I dont know about exact delivery but BK SUBWOOFERS deliver worldwide i think.you call them,order which sub you would like,then they assemble it for you! XLS200

I dont know about exact delivery but BK SUBWOOFERS deliver worldwide i think.you call them,order which sub you would like,then they assemble it for you! XLS200

BK Elec are the OEMS for MJ acoustics and REL (old). their subs are almost a replica of the MJ acoustics (amps and drivers !).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back