Downgrade path...

mpw, are you looking at vinyl or digital or having both? Also in digital, files or cds?

I think the first step is to finalise what your source of software will be. This will be largely dependent on what you have already collected over the years.

If you are going for only one source for serious listening, go for the one that is well mastered and gives you 80-90% of the music you listen to.

Above is something only you can decide. Once you’ve firmed that up, members here could possibly contribute towards hardware suggestions.

prem

my question was

out of all the eqpt you have owned in the past and current, what will you choose to settle down with assuming an economic necessity that entails selling off your present costly rig and settling down with

1 source
1 amp
1 stereo speakers

which may not provide 100% satisfaction as you may get now but something that you can live with for a long time ( say about 85 to 90% satisfaction at much less money )

hope the question is framed precisely..

regards

I would ditch the amplifier, but then my amp is already relatively cheap. For me speakers are the heart and soul of the overall experience. If i got rid of the speakers, I would switch to a headphone solution, and a decent headphone amp. It would be a constant reminder and i would turn into a sound system analyzer and not a music lover.

Try with vintage tube/SS tuner or receiver. You will not regret.;)
Now days I am enjoying my vintage Marantz ST 600 tuner. Not bad at all. Listening 'radio nasha' and 'Big FM' at night is a fun.:)

Last edited:
For me

a nice CD player - my current vintage Philips CD960 will do fine or maybe the Naim CD5si CD player
amp - Naim nait 5i-2 ( am very comfy with the Naim electronics ) or Naim Nait 5si or maybe a Sonneteer Alabaster
speakers - Totem Dreamcatchers or Totem Rainmaker or a PSB Platinum M2 standmount or Epos M12i

add a nice sofa for nearfield...

I have heard all the above in different setups with the electronics mentioned.

I chose CD player as a source over Vinyl if push comes to shove

Having said this - i regret selling the Technics SL23 i had...

totally poor decision

regards

My Selection of Amazon Echo Plus (Not Specifically Amazon, but can be any other Smart Speaker System), was based on my assumption that it's going to be the future of music. A voice operated assistant with better speakers/amplification (stereo /multichannel) and live DSP (with a mic attached to every speaker and changes the EQ automatically) ; a Voice assistant plays music with voice command and suggests music according to my preference, should not be too tough to configure. The way the technology is maturing we should be there by another 5yrs. But my downgrade path will be not before another 15yrs, when I will feel even the browsing & selecting the ripped albums on ipad a cumbersome ordeal. That's a time when probably I'll end up in a smart speaker with (hopefully not so) dumb sound quality.

For Vinyl Lovers, I sincerely wish that the LPs come with embedded chips, and chip data is read by 100 LP Storage box attached to player, where selection to playing will be automatic. The Chip serves only for storage, selection and catalog functions but playing remains analog. What's more? The LP Storage box should come with a inbuilt Vacuum cleaner and anti static mechanism, reducing individual handling of vinyl to bare minimum ; Probably this is my expectations for a more indulging vinyl experience, which is totally opposite of what a vinyl lovers think, but think about restrictions for old aged/disabled vinyl lovers.

Having said this - i regret selling the Technics SL23 i had...

totally poor decision
IME, my current Thorens TD145 outperform the SL23 in all areas. It has a more holographic and organic sound. The SL-23 was a bit hard and metallic to my setup.

But again everything is so setup dependent.

IME, my current Thorens TD145 outperform the SL23 in all areas. It has a more holographic and organic sound. The SL-23 was a bit hard and metallic to my setup.

But again everything is so setup dependent.

Absolutely

I was Happy with it.

That matters more

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is Financial, i would rather move to a headphone setup with a simple Schiit Amp/Dac and a Sennheiser HD650. for Hindi will remain with my Vinyl setup.

@mpw, I kinda hoped you would bite on the Ram Nayak line :confused:;)[/QUOTE]

Some things are best passed by...:p

I did start this thread just to know what people would fall back on and it will be interesting to see more replies..

I did start this thread just to know what people would fall back on
For me the synergy is most critical, sum of the parts if you may say so.
If a single jig can give me the musical bliss, then that would be the route I would definitely take.

For me the synergy is most critical, sum of the parts if you may say so.
If a single jig can give me the musical bliss, then that would be the route I would definitely take.

That's true for all audiophiles I suppose..

I mean who would not want 2+2=5 ?

Can this be considered minimalistic?
Using :
Source iPad with arcam mini blink BT
Amp Dayens
Spkr Xavian

This is a nice topic I think.

The idea isn't mine though

Most of us look at upgrades and are finicky and determined about the next purchase.

Well.. If you ever had to downgrade to

1 source
1 amplifier
1 stereo pair speaker

( Let's not get cables into this..

Sorry guys.. ;) )

What would they be ?

Regards

I won't get into brands but the following is what I would do if fidelity is not negotiable when you simplify.

1. A pair of active speakers with built in amps for bass, mids and highs.
  2. A preamp with active crossover built in (custom made to match the active speakers)
  3. A source ( Digital, Lp )
If the above is complicated, then the best low power but very high quality integrated amp( mostly tube ) powering a high efficiency speaker which uses large diameter bass driver and a good source is what I will do. I think Prem is doing exactly this.

Lifestyle audio products are usually "function follows form" devices. they all compromise fidelity.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back