Downgrade path...

M

mpw

This is a nice topic I think.

The idea isn't mine though

Most of us look at upgrades and are finicky and determined about the next purchase.

Well.. If you ever had to downgrade to

1 source
1 amplifier
1 stereo pair speaker

( Let's not get cables into this..

Sorry guys.. ;) )

What would they be ?

Regards

This is a nice topic I think.

The idea isn't mine though

Most of us look at upgrades and are finicky and determined about the next purchase.

Well.. If you ever had to downgrade to

1 source
1 amplifier
1 stereo pair speaker

( Let's not get cables into this..

Sorry guys.. ;) )

What would they be ?

Regards

If I get the chance.....back to Old Arphi Amp with EQ and Speakers.......else a Sony HiFi Set the FH-B series specifically.....

I'm almost there.
Source - CCA
Pre/Pwr - Marantz/Outlaws
Speakers - KEF R300

Next will be an all-in-one
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes.. Down size is the right word.
Possibly the most minimalistic approach would be a pair of active speakers with inbuilt HDD and streaming option.
Control from either phone or browser

Yes. This is more of simplification of my existing rig.

If I were to downgrade in near future, my choice would be something like KEF LSX or equivalent all-in-one.
And one small BT portable.
Cheers,
Raghu

I will settle for a good DAC with volume control and a pair of good studio monitors such Tannoy Reveal 802.

If I get the chance.....back to Old Arphi Amp with EQ and Speakers.......else a Sony HiFi Set the FH-B series specifically.....
You express my feelings exactly.
Those were the days, 20 years back, with simple cosmic amp, arphi speakers and cosmic cogram 2000 gave me incomparable pleasure. Today inspite of having so many more expensive and fancy audio stuff, I still love them.

Last edited:
An EMT turntable, A Naim Unity all in one and active ATC100 speakers - 3 Box, all formats, full range high quality system :)
an upgrade in sound (maybe) but a downgrade in simplicity....

Last edited:
Any UDP player (works as media player, DAC & CD player) other than Oppo - cannot recommend Oppo UDP 205 x as the production is stopped,
Marantz AVR (since it is a downgrade, I would prefer to go with AVR and UDP so that you can also use them for AV purposes)
Nice and Easy high sensitivity speakers for listening at low levels of volume.

I feel it's a weird question. Downgrade can be going from higher up model to a lower model. Or like from expensive to economical, or from big to small, or from separates to integrated, the possibilities are numerous. But anything that enriches your experience will always be considered an ' upgrade' in the real sense.

Devialet Phantom Gold (in stereo mode) hands down for me! If the goal is to fully simplify.

If the option is to have one source, one amp and one set of speakers; then it will be Allo katana player as source, Lyrita set amp and well built altecs!

depends on how the term grade is interpreted. Usually it is associated with cost.

thank you for your broad thinking and not falling into the trap of semantics. :)

I did mean downgrade - in terms of cost - but not necessarily in terms of musical satisfaction.

Lets say tomorrow someone has economic problems and has to sell off his costly audio rig but cannot let go of his . her music listening habit ( and for good reasons )..

what would you choose ?

specific component wise..

hope there is more clarity..

@tuff - to my mind - its a thought provoking topic .

@mpw will give this a thought and write his list down in a day or so..

That’s all that I have :)

with your many years of experience of owning equipment and experience of listening to high quality music - your thoughts
( in terms of specific equipment which would be less costlier then the one you own ) will be appreciated Prem.

Same request is to all the seniors and very experienced forum members to participate and exchange thoughts..

sometimes opening up is good..very good..

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back