Dream Box

From the specs of the device, it seems like it has only an MPEG-2 decoder on-board. That would mean that it may not be compatible with Big TV/Sun/Airtel since those use H.264 codec for broadcasting. The specs I saw were of the 5k dream box.

Is it so? Pretty surprising then how come the equipment is sold here?

The equipment could be sold without a problem - and the one sold in India for Rs. 5000/- is a clone of a model that has been long discontinued - many say it works perfectly well, though.

I think it's what one does with it that could be a problem - that's not to say there are no legitimate uses for it. Don't forget that it's more of a computer, so one can do quite a lot more with it than you can do with your garden variety TATA-SKY box, for example.

EDIT: I knew it, from some other forum:

you can add an image to this or and operating system, whatever you want to call it. this will allow you to tune in to fta channels. you can add a "program" that will act like a subscription card and decode the encrypted channels by the provider. remember, this is against the law.

No wonder people were not very forthcoming with information. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think this thread is jinxed. Every now and then someone who claims to know about it shows up and then vanishes into thin air.:indifferent14:

I think this thread is jinxed. Every now and then someone who claims to know about it shows up and then vanishes into thin air.:indifferent14:

Well ,
Briefly :yahoo: ,When you get a receiver and add a card to it what happens you hook it to the tv and switch it ,it starts receiving signals from the satellite then to verify the card in it and sends that back to the satellite ,the satellite then sends it to base station and if all is fine transmission keeps flowing .Well what dream box does ,This is a linux ready box there are many version of OS that can get installed in this box and this is what people do this is called card sharing [ Capt you dealer amarbir is not that dumb :eek:hyeah: ,this is just a teaser :)]

Lets Assume You Have Airtel connection at home ,You insert the card into the dreambox and configure the box with certain addons into the base os and break the card encryption [ Its locked to the airtel box ] ,then you hook it to the internet using a lan port it has and enable card sharing .Then You like XYZ people to use your service So that you will do you will sell them a dreambox configured to go via internet to your house internet [ you need a static address where base dreambox is installed ] .So once you configure the dreambox at remote station what happens

The satellite send the verification code and the dreambox does not have a card ,What it does it sends the signal via the internet to that main base station dreambox and that station sends its cards info back to remote dreambox that is then send to the satellite and then to company base station and this trasmission still keeps working lol .Company is fooled that all about it .

:p

Hi All
Sorry for a delayed response as i have been offline for some time, was stuck with some personal work and stuff.

There are plenty of users in dreambox in India, but people will not come forward and disclose the details due to legal issues.

It's a linux based box with network capability, basically as amarbir has described it works on cardsharing process, where you catch the signal through satelite and you share the keys through the network through cardsharing.

The cardsharing is not free and there is a cost involved in it. You can view FTA channels and other paid channels also.

Most people are using clone boxes of DM 500s that cost around 5k and work great.

there is a HD box as well right? Can we get more hd channels with this in india?
Whether this works with the dish and lnb of regular dth like tatasky , big tv etc or we need to change antenna location etc

I'm interested in the HD Dreambox as well - not because of the cardsharing (I don't care for this because I have a TS HD box/subscription and that gives me what I need from them), but because I am wondering whether we could get FTA SD and HD channels on international satellites that have a footprint over India - Kolkata specifically. :)

Any info regarding this would be most welcome.

yes, wont mind paying for content,
now only 2 avl in any hd dth and probably they will continue to sell us the upscaled versions instead of the real hd content

I'm interested in the HD Dreambox as well - not because of the cardsharing (I don't care for this because I have a TS HD box/subscription and that gives me what I need from them), but because I am wondering whether we could get FTA SD and HD channels on international satellites that have a footprint over India - Kolkata specifically. :)

Any info regarding this would be most welcome.

:D ,
Yes why Not i Have a Dreambox :yahoo: [ Its Not For Sale Though :) ] ,thats The Best Use of a Dreambox Man

Amarbir[Lynx-India];167656 said:
:D ,
Yes why Not i Have a Dreambox :yahoo: [ Its Not For Sale Though :) ] ,thats The Best Use of a Dreambox Man

Could you please stop being mysterious and answer the following questions:

What does the Dreambox DM800 HD cost in India?

Are you selling the original or cloned Dreamboxes?
(From what I understand there are differences in cloned dreamboxes - some have better quality parts, whereas others do not)

What sort of a dish/LNB would one require for FTA channels?

Could you please stop being mysterious and answer the following questions:

What does the Dreambox DM800 HD cost in India?

Are you selling the original or cloned Dreamboxes?
(From what I understand there are differences in cloned dreamboxes - some have better quality parts, whereas others do not)

What sort of a dish/LNB would one require for FTA channels?

No No ,
i Am Not Selling This At All :) ,The Once i Got From a Guy in China Long Time Back And that time i had no idea about cloned etc .I sold all To a Friend of Mine Who Does Work on Dreambox And is quite a Pro ,But His Dealing Is BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD .So Many D's

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back