Dropped plans to get a Plasma

Each to his own, I guess.

I agree - if the majority viewing is going to be Tata Sky SD then it may not warrant an upgrade. But if you plan to watch a lot of movies, then a Plasma is to be experienced.

My family's usage is
75% SD TV (via TataSky )
10% Wii Gaming
10% DVDs/Movies etc
5% Displaying photos to friends/family.​

I have a 5 yr old Panasonic 29" CRT which is working awesome. Not a single issue in last 5 years *touchwood*

Considering your major usage(75%SD) you have made the correct decision.
No LCD/Plasma can match a CRT for SD transmission
Even if your current TV is bad/not working i would suggest go buy a good CRT like Philips/ Panasonic and use for 2 years. They cost less than 10k.

After 2 years if HD becomes more common among indian broadcasters you can buy a plasma/LCD for much lower prices than today(you can recover the 10k lost for the CRT) and with better technology.

Regarding the suggestion that CRT occupies more space, i would prefer losing space to losing picture quality. We can save a lot of space if we use a foldable nylon cot in place of a wooden cot. But is that worth it? for we spend 1/3rd of our life sleeping.
Same should apply for TV too, for we spend atleast 1.5 hrs a day watching it.

Boss, here nobody is questioning abt the affordability factor. The arguments were against someone who described the new technologies as useless or worthless something like that.

yes I know what the argument was, (or even if there was an argument.), its not about a person discribing new technology worthless, but if the shft to go for high end A/V gear is worth per one's need/interest, and in that scenario I gave two examples.........

I am almost fanatic about Hollywood Movies, but can not afford a PJ Based HT (yet), so can not make a shift how so ever eagerly I want to.......simple

and pls do believe that all the people in this forum are not just rich people who don't know how to spend their money. Most of the people here belong to the so called "common man category" who earns on a monthly basis for their living

Then again its not about rich (Only), but how much interest one has. Two people earning the same bread and one might settle down for a CRT/stereo setup and the other would save like bonkers and get a LCD/PJ/5.1 setup,
even if he has to eat his hat off to make that purchase....

Hey Connected Soul - Good Call,

I too have a CRT and never felt the need to move to LCD/ Plasma. One of the reasons for that is that I have a projector for viewing movies. I also see this herd mentality in the great Indian middle class to catch up with the LCD bandwagon to show that they have arrived. No offense meant.

I too have a CRT and never felt the need to move to LCD/ Plasma. One of the reasons for that is that I have a projector for viewing movies. I also see this herd mentality in the great Indian middle class to catch up with the LCD bandwagon to show that they have arrived. No offense meant.

'Herd menatlity' 'No offence meant' These two statements don't go together right?:D

When i bought my first mobile i was the first one to do so in my office.MY colleagues sniggered. According to them only the high and mighty and business men needed mobiles.Well what happened after is history right? You mention you never felt the need to upgrade to a big screen.I don''t find anything wrong with that.But do you mean to say friend, that every one should feel exactly like you and continue to watch CRT? And if they don't 'feel' like you, its herd mentality?;) Its taking things a little too far right? Well habits differ from person to person.I am a movie lover and watch lots of sports action too.After buying a plasma i bought a WD Live too and enjoying 720p movies immensely on my plasma.Even DVD s are a different experience.Its great to watch sports action too on the plasma.Now Tatasky is going HD. I have an option of upgrading my STB to HD now.May be only a few channels are available now But they are given free for one year.So every one have their own needs and likings.Hope you understood my points in the right spirit.:)

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
Good post, Srikarkav.

The case where micjak's point might be valid is if there are people who are buying stuff for the sake of buying.

A lot of people buy a very good, large screen Plasma/LCD and then plonk it in their living room because they want their visitors to see the TV set. They do not wait to consider that there is not too much control that they have over the ambient light in the living room.

In those cases, I would say that there is a case of buying for the sake of buying more than anything else. Its not the buying alone which is the issue. It is about how they use the product that they bought. Whether they actually had a need in the first place.

Good post, Srikarkav.

The case where micjak's point might be valid is if there are people who are buying stuff for the sake of buying.

A lot of people buy a very good, large screen Plasma/LCD and then plonk it in their living room because they want their visitors to see the TV set. They do not wait to consider that there is not too much control that they have over the ambient light in the living room.

In those cases, I would say that there is a case of buying for the sake of buying more than anything else. Its not the buying alone which is the issue. It is about how they use the product that they bought. Whether they actually had a need in the first place.

Well you have put things in the right perspective Bala.I accept buying should be need driven.And BTW i have not 'plonked' my Plasma in the living room so that i can give a smug smile to any one who walks in to my home:lol: The TV and for that matter all the stuff in my siganature(except the CRT which i still love to watch) are in my bedroom.:)

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
In my case, I spent on a projector instead of a large TV for occasional movie watching. TVs are in the bedroom while pj is in the living room. Reason for keeping in living room - living rooms are the largest rooms in most houses. Your speaker system and LARGE screen won't be a great fit inside your bedrooms.
Since bedrooms are small, viewing distances are smaller, a 29" CRT works decently well.
Having said all of above, I still lust after large screen TVs :)

Having a Plasma/LCD is herd mentality and Projector is not. Great logic. BTW, thanks for generalizing and judging all Plasma/LCD owners in that blanket statement. Great going Mr. Whatever class who has already arrived.
PS: I do take offense on such blanket statements and I might sound very harsh when replying to such statements.

My first self earned panel will be a 3rd generation oled :D running off a solid state integrated device :D *imagination is stronger than reality! woooo*

I bet it is not.. :D
By that time, your aim will shift towards some screenless holographic projecter which is roumoured in the making.. :eek:hyeah:

Having a Plasma/LCD is herd mentality and Projector is not. Great logic. BTW, thanks for generalizing and judging all Plasma/LCD owners in that blanket statement. Great going Mr. Whatever class who has already arrived.
PS: I do take offense on such blanket statements and I might sound very harsh when replying to such statements.

I see that some feathers are ruffled, that wasnt my intention. Didnt mean to generalize LCD/ Plasma owners. My point was only about people who buy stuff without the real need, just to show off. Its funny how people perceive things.

micjak77, though what you say make sense for general population, you must agree that most of us here at HFV are a lot more serious. People like Sri, Bala, and I have spent quiet a considerable time waiting for technologies to mature and for products that we really like to appear. HFV members who buy LCDs do a lot of research, technical and otherwise, before plonking the money. And I am quiet sure none of the HFV members even care what others think about their purchases. The pride of possession I see in the faces of HFV members with whatever products they have is usually a pleasure to watch.

Cheers

I see that some feathers are ruffled, that wasnt my intention. Didnt mean to generalize LCD/ Plasma owners. My point was only about people who buy stuff without the real need, just to show off. Its funny how people perceive things.
Yes you did. Perhaps you should use the world called "some" in your first sentence, otherwise your previous post is nothing but a blanket statement, generalizing every LCD/Plasma owner even here. And yes, I do actually agree to the fact that many people buy stuff not out necessity but to show off. But again, you can't generalize to every person who decides to buy that item. For some it might be necessity and for some it's luxury and show off. And I feel most of the people in this forum are AV enthusiasts who know their stuff and know what they are buying. Anyway, no hard feelings, I just wanted to put up my point across.

I have a 5 yr old Panasonic 29" CRT which is working awesome. Not a single issue in last 5 years *touchwood*

What do you think? Did i miss anything ?

Yes, ur CRT is dangerously close to half life, or already at half life, or well beyond it, depending on how often you use.
It has already started crushing blacks, and contrast is no longer what it used to be. And the whites are no longer that bright.

But hey, if you are happy with it, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

CRTs are not sold in western countries for some time now. It is only a matter of time when it will be stopped in india.

Sad as I am, this is the fact. :(
No one wants to do parallel CRT development along with the flat panels.

CRTs are not sold in western countries for some time now. It is only a matter of time when it will be stopped in india.

Sad as I am, this is the fact. :(
No one wants to do parallel CRT development along with the flat panels.

Yeah, CRT's are like old school muscle cars.

Anyway, the I believe the Energy Efficiency norms, and saftey hazards CRT's carry would eventually kill them off anyway, much like what happened to muscle cars (Fuel got way expensive, and ppl had smaller wallets).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back