Dropped plans to get a Plasma

ConnectedSoul

Over past several days, I have been researching the right Plasma to buy.

My family's usage is
75% SD TV (via TataSky )
10% Wii Gaming
10% DVDs/Movies etc
5% Displaying photos to friends/family.​

I have a 5 yr old Panasonic 29" CRT which is working awesome. Not a single issue in last 5 years *touchwood*

I had narrowed it down to Samsung PS42C450 / LG 42PJ650. however after thinking about it and considering my usage, most of the time it would go watching SD programming. Tatasky isnt particularly optimized for HD and I would also have connectivity issues ( as in I have 4 AV/composite inputs in my CRT ), Break-in to consider, no Swivel in Samsung, only 1 yr warranty, fair ( if not poor ) sound quality and around 40K of investment. so Overall, It seemed like dead investment. Hence I have dropped plans to get a plasma. Maybe in future, I could be tempted again.

What do you think? Did i miss anything ?

ConnectedSoul,

Almost all DTH service providers, including Tata Sky are launching HD service or atleast have announced timelines for providing HD DTH services. Wouldn't it be possible for you to upgrade to HD DTH services?

For DVD's / movies, the inbuilt scalers in Samsung / LG should provide acceptable image quality.

For Wii, you can connect Wii through component output and that should provide pretty good video quality on a plasma.

I agree on the sound quality though. Most LCD & Plasma TVs' in build speakers are pretty poor.

-thekinge

My family's usage is
75% SD TV (via TataSky )
10% Wii Gaming
10% DVDs/Movies etc

I have a 5 yr old Panasonic 29" CRT which is working awesome. Not a single issue in last 5 years *touchwood*

I had narrowed it down to Samsung PS42C450 / LG 42PJ650. however after thinking about it and considering my usage, most of the time it would go watching SD programming. Tatasky isnt particularly optimized for HD and I would also have connectivity issues ( as in I have 4 AV/composite inputs in my CRT ), Break-in to consider, no Swivel in Samsung, only 1 yr warranty, fair ( if not poor ) sound quality and around 40K of investment. so Overall, It seemed like dead investment. Hence I have dropped plans to get a plasma. Maybe in future, I could be tempted again.

I share the same sentiment.
I find bluray technology using optical drives as nothing but stupid, flawed and a waste of money. till the day ssd flashdrive movie distribution dosnt become a mainstream concept, screw hd. buy a bd player today to only have it die right after the 1year warranty expires. same with lcd tvs, you never know when its going to die after 1 year. and if it does, repairing will cost as much as a new tv. so no thanks.

connected soul, I think you have done some good soul searching and have ultimately connected with your soul. It is a very good decision. I have undergone the same dilemma last year also, and have realized that there isn't much HD content around, so investing too much in a TV doesn't make sense. Though I am lusting after a 50" TV, but have put myself on restraint, will do this purchase only when I shift into my own house.

regards

My family's usage is
75% SD TV (via TataSky )
10% Wii Gaming
10% DVDs/Movies etc

It all depends what exactely would you be using your display mostly for....... which is directly related to the level of interest you would have. LCDs, Plasmas. Full HD, BRs. Home Theaters etc etc....... all these comodities in todays scenario more or less related to Movie viewing, Music Videos, and (if you are a gamer) gaming as well. So you got to have a typical high interest in Movies or Gaming to be drawn toways stuff like these.

On the other hand
If you are a casual/occational movie viewer, who is ok with DVDs or good old Divx (DVDrips), do not play games, or at the most a PAC Man or Mario, the ofcourse and obvious choice would be to stay away from the inventment up untill atleast when it becomes mainstream and is priced at the same cost as casual CRT/DVD Players

Else as I said for Music/Movie/Gaming freaks like me :D ...... Sky is the limit.... :)

Last edited:
I find bluray technology using optical drives as nothing but stupid, flawed and a waste of money. till the day ssd flashdrive movie distribution dosnt become a mainstream concept, screw hd. buy a bd player today to only have it die right after the 1year warranty expires. same with lcd tvs, you never know when its going to die after 1 year. and if it does, repairing will cost as much as a new tv. so no thanks.

Do you really feel like this or are you being sarcastic, OR have you said this just to trigger someone?

I have mentioned this elsewhere. Though better technologies are already available, 1080P will stay the mainstream for at least another 10 years. The cost of introducing a new resolution standard in terms of software reproduction is just too expensive. Till all the owners see some money coming in, they will not adopt (or even allow) a new technology.

I doubt you will ever get movies in SSD. Unless they can find some way of completely prohibiting the copying of files from an SSD, it is not going to happen.

And LCD TV repair (other than the panel) will become as inexpensive as a CRT TV. Whether you like it or not, the days of CRT are slowly getting over. Do you see many CRTs in monitors? The same will happen in TVs.

Cheers

+1 on that....CRTs are getting wiped out sooner than we can imagine. I remember when I bought my first sony Vega (21") in 2002/3 @ 22k...the 32" was available for 37k ....today Sony has stopped manufacturing CRT...and guess what...U can get a 42" Plasma from 31k onwards :yahoo:...speaks volumes about the CRT to Flat Panel paradigm shift.
One cannot beat the flexibility of flat panels / features over CRTs..period.

Wow! you seem to be in the mood. Did someone just stomp on you?

I find bluray technology using optical drives as nothing but stupid, flawed and a waste of money.

:rolleyes: Explain. I did like to know.

till the day ssd flashdrive movie distribution dosnt become a mainstream concept, screw hd. buy a bd player today to only have it die right after the 1year warranty expires. same with lcd tvs, you never know when its going to die after 1 year. and if it does, repairing will cost as much as a new tv. so no thanks.

Well, nothing's perfect. Everthing has an expiry, even our lives (profound, isn't it?). Btw, do you have a bluray player, LCD/Plasma?

Just have fun - if are you are inclined, have the time + money and are finished doing all the good things on earth.

I share the same sentiment.
till the day ssd flashdrive movie distribution dosnt become a mainstream concept, screw hd. buy a bd player today to only have it die right after the 1year warranty expires. same with lcd tvs, you never know when its going to die after 1 year. and if it does, repairing will cost as much as a new tv. so no thanks.

Keep waiting then...BTW even we don't know when we will die. :eek:hyeah:
And we can't stop living thinking of costs required for our medical expenses in the future. :rolleyes:

Aare enjoy life now man......life is too short:p

+1000 to Reju. All I would say is that stop whining and start enjoying life. It's really too short till the ultimate form(according to coreElement's standards) of Home Entertainment will be here after next 100's of years.

PS: as Venkat sir said it might be a post just to trigger these kind of responses.

John Maynard Keynes, 1st Baron Keynes of Tilton (5 June 1883 21 April 1946) was a British economist whose ideas, known as Keynesian economics, had a major impact on modern economic and political theory and on many governments' fiscal policies

His Famous quote ,
"The long run is a misleading guide to current affairs. In the long run we are all dead."

You get 42 inches of screen for 40 K that to reduced value of rupee.
I know people who bought 29 Incher for 50 K Plus.
In fact lot of RP's were in 1.5 Lack plus region
also your CRT does not support HDMI and takes too much space..

In mumbai Rs.10000 Per squre foot is property price norm in many suberbs.
29 Inch CRT takes laest 6 sq Feet of floor space so it is 6000 Rs

Plasma or LCD you can hang on wall ---so in fact it is money saving..

Anyway you can wait infinitely as better technology always around the corner!!

My family's usage is
75% SD TV (via TataSky )
10% Wii Gaming
10% DVDs/Movies etc

I agree completely. I too was seriously thinking of upgrading from my current CRT but I just can't justify the spending, given my viewing habits. And as sam9s said, gaming enthusiasts and movie freaks just can't get a big enough screen. More power (and screen real estate) to them :)

All good points. Although I'm a tech enthusiast, I'm not a hard core gamer. I like to see immediate value of things I pay for and shouldn't have to pick up new skills to do that.

its really alarming to see all the dealers selling something to common man ( again not directed at you gamers/AV pros) that he/she cannot use. dont you guys think so ?

Why do you think a common man can't use a Plasma/LCD TV? Doesn't he also have the right to watch a nice Hi-def movie sitting at his home? I would say I as a common man has the right to do that and so do my friends who also have recently shifted to plasma after watching movies at my place. And I think and I know that the Plasma is giving me immense viewing pleasure that the CRT was never able to give in terms of HD representation. I'm enjoying my movies much much more, infact I don't even go to cinema halls nowadays.
As for Cable TV watching, now I'm watching World Cup foot ball 24/7 and it never looked any better.
As for gaming, it's been more than a month since I played any games. Actually my PS3 is kind of lying idle. So you don't need to be a avid gamer to enjoy a Plasma/LCD TV. Bbut anyway, it's upto you as end of the day you should be satisfied with your life.

To add to what konfused said i also thing the increase in screen size do matters a lot.
I watch a crt 29 inch right now and the moment i see 42 plasma i feel the difference.IMO being a common man myself i am in favor of the shift.
And yes i am not a gamer and never play any kinda games on tv but i love watching movies.

I think and I know that the Plasma is giving me immense viewing pleasure that the CRT was never able to give in terms of HD representation. I'm enjoying my movies much much more, infact I don't even go to cinema halls nowadays.
As for Cable TV watching, now I'm watching World Cup foot ball 24/7 and it never looked any better.

As I said.....

you got to have a typical high interest in Movies, TV episodes, Sports or Gaming to be drawn toways stuff like these....... So frankly it depends.... I am sure there would be people out there that would enjoy World Cup soccer as much on a 29" CRT as one says he enjoys on a plasma/LCD .....

One must also not forget the affordability factor.....a person can be fanatic about Movies/Music but if he can not afford a plasma/LCD/HT Gear, thats the end of the road for his "shift".....simple

its really alarming to see all the dealers selling something to common man ( again not directed at you gamers/AV pros) that he/she cannot use. dont you guys think so ?

i had already shared my experience to buy a plasma tv in another thread. We can just empathize on those people believing what the salesman says.

One must also not forget the affordability factor.....a person can be fanatic about Movies/Music but if he can not afford a plasma/LCD/HT Gear, thats the end of the road for his "shift".....simple

Boss, here nobody is questioning abt the affordability factor. The arguments were against someone who described the new technologies as useless or worthless something like that.

and pls do believe that all the people in this forum are not just rich people who don't know how to spend their money. Most of the people here belong to the so called "common man category" who earns on a monthly basis for their living.

i have a Philips 29" CRT which i bought in 2006 at the time of world cup and the same is working perfectly. I'm going to replace it with a 42" Plasma (HD ready) not coz i got lots of money to spend but i just wanted to enhance my movie watching experience. i know really well that a sudden outflow of more than Rs.40000 from my bank account is going to affect me at least for some time. So i'll go for an EMI option for 12 to 24 months so that the EMI payments can be met from my monthly salary.

Everyone can make their choices w.r.t. their interest whether it is respect to brand or size or technology according to their budget. I believe that there will not be any problem unless u spend without thinking about ur future financial requirements (there may be some people who are ready to take risks)

Most of the people here belong to the so called "common man category" who earns on a monthly basis for their living.

While I do belong to the above mentioned category, looking at the AV armamentarium of most people here, I have started suspecting, I am of a rare species.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back