Drywall (gypsum board) or Acoustic tile (mineral fibre) for ceiling in dedicated HT room?

pantpank

Hello,

Finally i am inching closer to building up a dedicated ht room. I will be making a false ceiling in the room so that I can mount ceiling atmos speakers and ceiling lights to get desired ambience in the room. Now the confusion is whether should i go for a drywall (gypsum board) or mineral fibre tiles in the false ceiling? For acoustic treatment in the room i will be using adsorption panels in the side walls and bass traps in the corners. So will mineral fibre as ceiling be necessary or can i skip it and go for gypsum board instead? The gypsum board is easily available in my town while for mineral fibre tiles, i will have to source from other cities which gonna take time. Will mineral fibre make a difference?

Hello,

Finally i am inching closer to building up a dedicated ht room. I will be making a false ceiling in the room so that I can mount ceiling atmos speakers and ceiling lights to get desired ambience in the room. Now the confusion is whether should i go for a drywall (gypsum board) or mineral fibre tiles in the false ceiling? For acoustic treatment in the room i will be using adsorption panels in the side walls and bass traps in the corners. So will mineral fibre as ceiling be necessary or can i skip it and go for gypsum board instead? The gypsum board is easily available in my town while for mineral fibre tiles, i will have to source from other cities which gonna take time. Will mineral fibre make a difference?
User absorption either on ceiling or on floor.
Carpet flooring is difficult to maintain.
So I would suggest ceiling.

I have no experience with room acoustics, but here are some pointers for you to consider..

Absorption in the room is used to reduce the effects of room resonance (lower freq <=500hz).. How thick an absorber, will fairly depend on how much you want to reduce room resonance (or) target freq..

For acoustic treatment in the room i will be using adsorption panels in the side walls and bass traps in the corners. So will mineral fibre as ceiling be necessary or can i skip it and go for gypsum board instead?

If you have already planned to add absorption to walls & corners, which i suppose thicker ones, then making an entire ceiling with absorption material would make it too much absorption.. May be a portion of ceiling is fine..

The gypsum board is easily available in my town while for mineral fibre tiles, i will have to source from other cities which gonna take time. Will mineral fibre make a difference?

The Acoustic ceiling tiles are usually of very high density panels (>= 128Kg/m3), which absorb very less in the bass region & absorb more above >=500Hz, which i think is not desirable..

The gypsum board is easily available in my town while for mineral fibre tiles, i will have to source from other cities which gonna take time.
Make your life easier and use the locally available gypsum board. IF you decide later on to add absorption to the ceiling, you can always do that in a targeted fashion. Better than trying to make the entire ceiling a giant absorber.
For acoustic treatment in the room i will be using adsorption panels in the side walls and bass traps in the corners.
Concentrate absorption on the front wall and middle of the back wall to minimize reflections coming from the same direction as the front soundstage and muddying up important sounds. By comparison, very little absorption is needed on the side walls since those reflections are outside the soundstage and aid in spaciousness.

hi guys...

you can also use acoustic foam like wedge shape on the ceiling for absorption and reducing extra reverberation in the room.

Acoustic foam is very easy to install doesn't require griding system like other tiles. It will also give you a perfect ambience.

Thanks fms for all the suggestions! Have decided not to go with mineral fibre tiles in the ceiling. If required will add some Acoustic foam later on as suggested by @Solace Acoustic

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back