DUAL 1224 TT - any good?

suri

Hi all,
i have an old Dual 1224 TT
Is this any good?
can it be serviced?
can i use it to dabble in the world of vinyl?:eek:

i have no idea about the TT, but the "can i dabble int he world of vinyl" has a simple answer...if you have a few records, then you can, otherwise acquiring records will be the biggest difficulty (not impossible, just difficult). If you do have records, then even if your TT is not repairable, you can buy a new TT.

Hi Suresh,
Thank you very much
I have spoken to Abdul Salam and will be taking the tt to him on Saturday
Regards,
Suri

Best wishes.

If you know any source for Malayalam EP/LP/78 rpm records, kindly let shrare the same with me. I have purchased a few from Mr. Abdul Salam also.

Regards,
Suresh Babu

Hi Suresh, reignofchaos,

The dual 1224 was serviced without a hitch, and is up and running!

it is in good condition.

I have cleaned a few LP's and played them.

lots of pops and crackles:sad:

Do i need to adjust something on the tt?

i can see controls for anti-skating, there is a counterweight, and a dial on the side of the tonearm.

Help!

update - I used extran (a surfactant used to clean laboratory glass slides) to clean the LP's, is that OK? the pops and crackles have become much less now

Attachments

• dual 1224 tt 008.jpg
    dual 1224 tt 008.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 112
  • dual 1224 tt 010.jpg
    dual 1224 tt 010.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 109
  • dual 1224 tt 007.jpg
    dual 1224 tt 007.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 109
  • dual 1224 tt 003.jpg
    dual 1224 tt 003.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 105
  • dual 1224 tt 009.jpg
    dual 1224 tt 009.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
great looking speakers! which are they?

re cleaning lps do read my post on cleaning lps. its a distillation of the common practices i've taken from the net. variations include using normal tap water instead of the safer distilled water. just a surfactant will not be enough to clean lps. crackles and pops indicate a not clean lp and you're probably damaging it by playing it. a clean lp will still have a few ticks and pops but you'll be able to hear them distinct from the music and not along with the music. difficult to explain but once you clean properly you'll understand what i mean. also get isopropyl alchohol 20%and make a mix with distilled water 80% to clean your stylus regularly after each play preferably.

how much did it take to get your player serviced? can you pm me the details of the guy who did this?

regards

re cleaning lps do read my post on cleaning lps. its a distillation of the common practices i've taken from the net. variations include using normal tap water instead of the safer distilled water. just a surfactant will not be enough to clean lps. crackles and pops indicate a not clean lp and you're probably damaging it by playing it. a clean lp will still have a few ticks and pops but you'll be able to hear them distinct from the music and not along with the music. difficult to explain but once you clean properly you'll understand what i mean. also get isopropyl alchohol 20%and make a mix with distilled water 80% to clean your stylus regularly after each play preferably.

how much did it take to get your player serviced? can you pm me the details of the guy who did this?

regards

For servicing TT, you may contact Mr. VP Abdul Salam at Calicut . His mobile No. is 9847229941.

Best wishes,

Suresh Babu

Hi Stevieboy,
Suresh (see the previous post) put me on this man, Abdul Salam, who is the man behind "Voice of Kerala"
has been in the business of servicing tt's for many years now and has done a fantastic job on the dual tt
He charged me Rs. 750/- for the service including the replacement stylus.
You could talk to him directly about your needs (phone number is in suresh's post)
regards

regards

Hi Stevieboy,
I read your post re cleaning of LP's - i will be following all those instructions
i will be getting the isopropyl alcohol today
thanks

i have no idea about the TT, but the "can i dabble int he world of vinyl" has a simple answer...if you have a few records, then you can, otherwise acquiring records will be the biggest difficulty (not impossible, just difficult). If you do have records, then even if your TT is not repairable, you can buy a new TT.

In the US we are actually going through a second golden age of vinyl records. The first was considered to be in the late 50's and early 60's. These days a large number of new and reissue titles are available on high quality pressings (180g or 200g records) and includes quite a bit of new music. In Europe vinyl sales never completely died.

Prices are generally in the $20 to $50 US range and available mail order. Though recently we are starting to find them in stores. Its quite a phenomena that vinyl is back and turntable sales are picking up quite a bit. Sales are in the 1 million lps per year range and increasing. Noise when compared digital media but enough to keep several companies afloat in this space with large labels that had killed vinyl in the late 80s now getting back in. The irony!!

I dont know if these prices puts out of reach for folks in India but here are some US sites to check out:

SACD, DVD Audio, Vinyl Record, Audiophile equipment - Acoustic Sounds
Import and Domestic Vinyl, SACD, DVD Audio, Audiophile Hardware - musicdirect - (800) 449-8333
Music Obsession

I would think they will ship to India. Hopefully an entrepreneur in India will soon pick up on this trend and start something up locally.

I think its only a matter of a short time. Vinyl is becoming cool again! :yahoo:

Last edited:
Very good turntable. You'd want to get it back up and running instead of buying current mass market crap.

There are good turntables out there these days. Many of them hideously priced! But its a lot of careful engineering with not very high sales volume.

Good starter entry level high end turntable include the rega p1 or p2 in the $400 US price range. They are available with arm and cartridge kits fully mounted. There are others but I am familiar with the starter rega line having helped a friend pick one up recently (I never left vinyl and run a vpi hk19).

I've never heard this dual but they do have quite a following, so yes, well worth restoring and getting properly setup.

I'm fairly sure the rega would out do the dual, but couldn't be certain not having heard it.

The dual being an automatic turntable (auto arm, record drop, etc) it has too much mechanics and its unlikely it will outdo a modern minimal design geared towards minimizing all sources of resonance.

Last edited:
hi rsud,

have ordered from amazon and importcds. considering the quality and that you're going to be listening to the same record for a lifetime the cost becomes affordable :) of course at the rate of a few lps a month! :licklips: ordered the doors so far and the yardbirds with acdc live are on their way!

does music direct accept paypal?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back